The food thread

Did these recipes recently - Yes, I am a Bobby Flay fan boy, but I usually add more heat and change up the spice balance a bit. Home smoked serranos instead of chipotles worked well. I didn't add in adobo.

The maple chipotle butter does wonders for early corn that's not so sweet.
Grilled Corn with Maple and Chipotle Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network

Best BBQ beans ever
Pinto Beans with Burnt Ends Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network

Leftover potato salad was a winner- everyone wanted the recipe.
Texas-Style Potato Salad with Mustard and Pickled Red Onions Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network

I didn't have the time for smoking a brisket that Bobby did in this episode, so a spice rubbed flank steak was the protein.

Hi Bob,

Corn is early this year for us so we've had a good dose already. I have taken a liking to eating it without toppings as it is so sweet thee days that I don't need anything else but I have to say that topping looks tempting.

I am surprised that Bobby recommends using canned beans instead of soaking and slow cooking, but the flavours in there look quite good. Similar to how we do our beans but that's when we use the maple syrup as the sweetener.

Have you ever done a hot potato salad? Most times you can take any recipe and simply heat it in the oven. So good that we do it hot about half the time now. Good, so long as it's not one of those heavily mayo laden ones. Even the oil and vinegar based ones work out well.

Oh yeah, we started eating this potato salad warm. It's great warm to hot.

I suppose you might do better with slow cooked beans, but I appreciated the convenience. I seem to prefer the most difficult, time consuming preparations. But I was hiking earlier in the day and got lazy.

I agree good fresh corn doesn't really need anything except a little salt, but sweet and spicy was good on the grocery store corn. I may mix some serrano powder and salt for the local stuff. My favorite corn stand closed, switching to feed corn. :(

My favorite corn stand closed, switching to feed corn. :(
I don't know New York so I have to ask if corn is grown locally? We are lucky, we have what's called the Fraser Valley and it's near the northern end of the corn belt so we are blessed with abundance and reasonable pricing.
3 ounce Margarita.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what this means. Did you miss a '0' or something;)
Any variations you'd like to share, Cal?
Sure, I love to share. Oh you mean recipe? Nope, nothing like that. Recipes are for the non-adventuresome. We just wing it. Whatever fruit along with whatever citrus with whatever sweetener and whatever booze. In fact we use the machine more for non-alcoholic drinks. Great way to get your fruit and veggies if you just can't stomach another stalk of brocolli.
The counterpart is that they are consumed fast and easy :spin:
I used to hate that. Now I think that if they eat it quickly, it must be good. There's always a silver lining somewhere.

Kraut has turned out very well.

I've got two more gallon batches goiong now.

I hope to hit the farmers market this weekend and start another batch.

I also started some pickled peppers, but they developed a Kahn yeast infection. I poured olive oil on top to stop it, but I suspectthe dammage is done.

Yes, we are lucky enough to get a month or so of good corn a year. It's just starting to come in "down south" around Albany. It will be another week or two up around Essex where I spend weekends.

Recipes are starting points, and a good way of discussing what goes in. But you're right, Cal. Make use of what's handy and try new stuff. May not be a "true" margarita, but as long as it tastes good, who cares? It freaks some friends out that I just eyeball most measurements, even baking.

Speaking of which, there's a no knead bread book out there that inspired me, even though I didn't buy it. Make a very soft, wet dough with a light dose of regular or instant yeast using about 5 cups of flour. Use some milk for a bit of sourdough bite. Let it sit a few hours to days (in the fridge if your kitchen gets above the mid 70s.) When ready to bake, preheat a dutch oven in a 500 degree oven for at least an hour. Dump the wet dough in the dutch oven, cover and bake an hour. Crispy, crunchy crust, good chew using King Arthur bread flour. The steam from the wet dough prevents sticking.

Went for a bit of Scorpion Reposado mezcal this weekend. Perfect recipe: pour into glass, drink.

Attachments

• bread.jpg
    bread.jpg
    659.4 KB · Views: 82
  • scorpion.jpg
    scorpion.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 73
I made a batch of sourdough bread using a starter I made from rye flour.

I increased my starter up to about 750ml, and poured 500ml into a large bowl. Add two cups of water, 1Tbsp sugar, 1tsp salt. Add flour (Pilsberry's Best Unbleached flour)and work in until it forms a dough. Keep adding flour and kneeding it until it is still sticky but pushes back. Cover the bowl and put in refrigerator.

When I want bread, I pinch off a chunk, roll it into a ball, drop it in the flour crock and coat with flour. Press flat and put on a baking sheet dusted with cornmeal. Let it rise about one to two hours.

I've been cooking it in the toaster oven so I don't have to heat the main oven. Set to 450F. Once itit s up to temp put the bread in. Spray with water every 5 minutes for the first 15 minutes, then turn down to 350 for 15 minutes. Not the best looking crust, but light crust and nice even crumg.

As long as we're discussing cocktails (is this the right thread for that?) I have been working on a Maraschino cocktail, and I think I've got it right. Put about 5 or 6 fresh cherries (sour ones if you can get them) in a cocktail shaker, crush them with a muddler (or spirtle), add a little sugar (maybe 2 ml) and let it macerate for a few minutes. Then add 1 part Maraschino liqueur, 2 parts gin, a squeeze of lemon juice, and shake with lots of ice. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a twist.

You should be able to get plenty of peppers down there. I had four plants per variety and ended up with more than I could smoke/dry/freeze. Miracle-Gro weekly, bone meal bi-weekly and plenty of water. If plants are potted, they need HUGE pots. When I was using pots the yield wasn't 1/10 of what it was in the ground. The root balls were nearly as big as the plants.

My wife and I have pretty similar heat tolerance (i.e., very high for white folks:D)...

That got a good chuckle. I've heard that comment directed at me. I cycle back and forth between a little hot for most and habanero level. My son is growing Trinidad Scorpions, we will see how that goes.

Have you tried Fatali Scotch Bonnets, SY? Very citrusy along with the heat. The yellow peppers in the group photo. Great for fish, chicken or pork jerk. My ghost peppers have a rich fruity taste once some of the heat cooks off. An impending frost caused an early harvest.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited: