The food thread

July 4th the annual dinner, mass quantities of steamed clams and local lobster accompanied by my July 4th potato salad.

Three kinds of small potatos, purple, red, and white, one each of red, orange, and yellow pepper shaved, carrots, celery, and radishes also shaved, and scallions. Dressing is evo, lemon juice, and German mustard, with lots of fresh cilantro, dill, parsley, and lovage (hard to find I grow my own).

Beet salad is roasted red and yellow beets and garlic scapes, shaved fennel, arugala, and orange pieces. Dressing is evo, orange juice, and balsamic vinegar with some Thai basil sprinkled on top.

Attachments

• 64one.jpg
    64one.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 64two.jpg
    64two.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 76
After cutting up 6 heads of cabbage from my garden to make my last batch of kraut, I am ordering a Mandoline.

I now have one quart batch going (I ate the first one already) and two gallon batches fermenting. One gallon batch is without spices, the second has carroway and mustard seed.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Excellent. I've not seen the red cabbage being used so I look forward to hearing the results. Do you have to leave it for a long time?

EDIT:
Found a recipe

Homemade Red Sauerkraut - What Jew Wanna Eat

Yep, those photos look like what I've got right now fermenting away. Cool!

Mine has been fermenting for just over 3 days..it's on its way pretty quickly. The article I read said 3 to 10 days. Given the warmth down here in Texas it shouldn't be much longer until we chow down on some good sauerkraut.

Maple dijon ceader plank salmon anyone ;) Ill be making some as well soon as I shake this nasty cold I got in July, sigh.

Once you have some of this on your hotcakes and sausages they wont be the same again without it. And unlike stuff in stores, no preservatives or taste enhancers like processed sugars and salts added. Same goes for the honey and bee pollen he puts together. the bee pollen goes good on cereals etc. and its really good for you too.

Attachments

• IMG-20140724-00796.jpg
    IMG-20140724-00796.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG-20140724-00794.jpg
    IMG-20140724-00794.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 107