The food thread

Yes, it is the first time I have used it and probably the last. I don't put crab on pizza so why did I try this?

And yes, we have an abundance of Dungeness if I so have the urge...

Oh, and it spiked a couple months back when we got word the Chinese had acquired a taste for it but it quickly went back down to $6/lbs. and the supply is constant. Every market seems to have live seafood now.

I don't put crab on pizza so why did I try this?

You need to try some of the varieties offered in Japan like squid ink pizza. Surimi is getting way too popular at asian restaurants at the current prices of the real stuff. A friend took me to her favorite restaurant and I ordered king crab tempura at a very stiff price, surimi, politeness kept me silent.

C'soned salt. Measures in grams. I still own a triple beam scale. :)

900 - Kosher salt
200 - Paprika
150 - Onion
150 - Black Pepper
100 - Garlic
60 - Mustard
50 - Turmeric
20 - Cayenne
15 - Chili flake
15 - Dill seed
10 - Fennel

Attachments

• IMG_3041.jpg
    IMG_3041.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 33
Pizza at our place. Our trick is parchment paper. Stretch the dough on the parchment as thin as you want and cook on stone in the oven. The paper burns a bit and the crust comes out excellent. The dough uses a starter that is about 8 years old now.
Evan

Attachments

• p1.JPG
    p1.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 47
  • p2.JPG
    p2.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 45
  • p3.JPG
    p3.JPG
    379.9 KB · Views: 46
We did the same thing for years- works great. But then we recently discovered some reusable plastic (presumably silicone) sheets with high temperature resistance and good thermal conductivity. We still get a good bottom char on the crust, but don't go through reams of parchment (yes, we cook a lot of pizza!). The sheets have had no problem surviving repeated cycles in a hot oven on a stone.

Is that ricotta with the tomatoes or a fresh mozzarella?

It's the bpa in the cans that she want's us to stay away from. We get a brand called "pomi" It comes in a box and is very good. We now freeze the tomatoes we grow to preserve them, but for many years we jarred them. I believe as long as the ph is low enough that botulinum can't grow in the jarred tomatoes.

No plasticizers in PE. But there's other fun things in many bag linings and coatings. The effects of BPA appear to be pretty minor- it has a mediocre binding affinity to estrogen receptors- but other endocrine disrupting chemicals in plastics can potentially be quite a bit more hazardous. The potential hazards are mostly to children and pregnant women and are still a matter of some controversy.

Avoiding BPA-containing plastics by switching to different plastics is poor strategy if one is actually worried about endocrine disruptors.