Easy money

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Inflation or hyperinflation is not a problem for the real economy, i mean for the rewards of people consequently for their life quality.
The real problem is the Deflation which causes big poverty in people. A "kind of deflation" it happens the last time in some countries-members of "Eurozone" of European Union, currently in Greece as you know. Due to Maastricht Treaty for the common monetary unit, Greece can not use the tool of inflation (as they do US and UK by cutting excess of money) to drop down the price of goods offered like tourism. Greece is an expensive country for tourism due to "hard" Euro. Greece is an expensive country for his citizens. And i can say with each sincerity, that i am not the responsible for this state. You can imagine my wrath.

Socrates view was that slaves where tools exactly like a spoon ,
and terefore, how could a tool be granted intelligence ?...
Not very smart coming from such a renowed man..

Hey wahab, from where you have find this story about Socrates? From wikipedia? Wikipedia has a lot of inaccuracies.
In classic Greek education we learn FROM FIRSTHAND that Socrates is considered rather an imaginary person invented from his "hypothetical" student Plato. Plato was a real person and maybe the greater of the seven great philosophers of ancient world.
Plato, through hypothetical sayings of Socrates, was the first philosopher of ancient world which established the elementary principles of human rights. Plato refers Socrates as a man which live in absolute frugality. How can do a such person to make a such reference against slaves? There is a reference in wikipedia, which is not accurate:
Socrates defended his role as a gadfly until the end: at his trial, when Socrates was asked to propose his own punishment, he suggests a wage paid by the government and free dinners for the rest of his life instead, to finance the time he spends as Athens' benefactor.
Instead this, we learn in Greece high-school, that Socrates asked from Athenians only ration for free (and not paid) for the time he spends as benefactor of knowledge.
You may know that in Greece high-school we study (compulsory) only Thucydides, Xenophon and Demosthenes.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Wahab you're mistaken Socrates for somebody else, maybe Plato? Can't remember what he said about slaves in his Republic, but I think he found them a necessary evil. Anyway, Socrates was a bit like Jesus, he believed in the dignity of men ... without slaves though those Greeks wouldn't have had much time for philosophical questions.

Fotios Socrates wasn't an imaginary person, he was too ugly for that. lol

Last edited:
hi, Fotios and Stalker,

Well, some old lessons in school, that i did perform in France...
I suppose that there s lot of legends, but you e surely right
about Plato being the real source..
Anyway, for frugality, none did goes as far as Diogenes of Sinope.
He was surely the one that did inspire Plato..

From wikipedia :

When Plato gave Socrates' definition of man as "featherless bipeds" and was much praised for the definition, Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man."

Last edited:
Inflation or hyperinflation is not a problem for the real economy, i mean for the rewards of people consequently for their life quality.
The real problem is the Deflation which causes big poverty in people. .

Deflation is good, providing it target essential goods whose
value has been artificialy overinflated at the expense of common
people..
Just think about the real estate bubble.
Here, in France, house prices surged by a whopping 140%
in less than 10 years, while incomes are stable on the same period.

Since the ECB (european central bank) only status is to fight
inflation, guess how they made to compensate these rising price?..

By forcing governement to moderate salaries , using unemployement
as a mean of pressure to keep people from asking their purchasing
power to be maintained..

A couple years ago there was an article in "The Journal of Law and Economics" which discussed slavery, indentured servitude and free men in Greece before the Peloponnesian War -- it was a matter of economics -- the agronomy of Sparta was more oriented toward crops for which slaves could more usefully develop the economic resources. For Athens, owner-operators were more efficient.

With respect to "money", and by extension "credit" -- it grows under conditions of mutual respect and naivete! "Interest" just costs out how much we trust the other party,or how much we allow ourselves to be fooled. A close observer of today's banking conditions would conclude that neither respect or naivete are in flower today.

Usury got a bad name when the early Church (capital C, no religion or politics allowed, but you know who I mean! ) started to lose its monopoly on the economic lives of its members (another snippet from the peer-reviewed JLE).

He, he...
Let suppose that Lacedaemonians they offered in slaves freedom. If the slave was captive from a war against, say, Thebes then he had only to return in his home, farm, etc. That was very good. In the other case, where the slave was, say, descendant of another slave and so absolutely poor without farm, home etc. then i suppose that he would prefer to stay slave instead to become beggar. There is people, yet today and in civilized countries, which prefer the same - of course under a modern form. Instead Greeks of today, they would prefer to be beggar instead slaves and that is a simple answer in the fuss about Greece economic problems that you hear.
For Athens, things was better, because the slaves usually was only servants inside home (many times lovers of the lady or the lord of the home :D:D:D) instead workers on farm.
Let's see what is in effect today. Supposing that the population of Earth is around 7 billions people and a caste of, say, 1000 people are like ancient Athenians or Lacedaemonians and the rest 6,999,999,000 people are slaves but now against payment; some times in cash, many times in promises like words or bonds :D and so on... The money returns always again in the pocket of this caste of 1000 people because they keep both the indispensable goods for the life or the survive (water) of slaves and the money at whole. Nice! It is like to take money from your right pocket and to put it in your left pocket. But this "game" it is tiredsome. To be some interesting, they place the rule of profit = interest. Let's suppose that the amount of money it is fixed. Then, from where it comes the profit from interests? The answer is simple: from nowhere, the profit it is fresh air. So, they don't interested for money profit. They interested for other kind of profit. Which is what? I haven't a secure reply to this. There are on the round a lot of scenarios about this. What is your favorite?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My view is that best systems in ancient societies can only be some good DNA to include in new systems of today where they could glue. The vast portion of human history did not live in ''rights'', the ancient Athenians and the Western Europeans after Enlightenment era, only gave birth to such democratic ideals due to successfully self organizing for various reasons. They were unique advances that is why still famous and copied, no matter the mechanisms of their original era. Slavery in Athens had nothing to do with what it evokes to the modern mind, has not to do with Roman era. It was about people without political rights. Slaves could even lend money to citizens. Athenian police and treasury clerks were slaves! It was a life more like of the economic refugees of today. In mines and ships they were mostly the condemned for crime. If they did something excellent or chose to fight for the city in times of need they were granted full civil rights. The democrats gave citizenship to thousands of slaves that fought by their side the aristocrats for instance.
Now about the money=debt thing, its a 300 year old web that overtightened with globalization. That system is made into a monster with digital tech and fast transport. Needs reset. It threatens the planet. Each animal in the Savanna can't afford to spend more calories hunting that it can actually eat. Why can we?

Wahab you're mistaken Socrates for somebody else, maybe Plato? Can't remember what he said about slaves in his Republic, but I think he found them a necessary evil. Anyway, Socrates was a bit like Jesus, he believed in the dignity of men ... without slaves though those Greeks wouldn't have had much time for philosophical questions.

Fotios Socrates wasn't an imaginary person, he was too ugly for that. lol

Yes, REPUBLIC in Latin is a work of Plato. But Republic has the sense of a kind of government in English. In Greek, this work of Plato is named "ΠΟΛΙΤΕΙΑ" = polity. Polity means:
The sum of institutions and the kind of regime with which is governed a country.
Plato, indeed, many times was aggressive against Athens Democracy because the corruption of politics which misinterpreted purposively the sense of democracy. You may know that, because the complexity and the amazing lot of words of Greek language, it is impossible the fixed determination of a law etc. For this reason Republic of Plato was misinterpreted many times from politics (included Hitler) for their own profit.
As for Socrates, i said that considered from many ancient philosophers or orators a person invited from Plato, because Plato was the only that spokes about Socrates sayings, without presenting anything written from him. For example, in High-School we study Thucydides which does not recognize the existence of Socrates. So, Socrates remains a disputable person. As for me, i can't say nothing with certainty.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Republic of Plato was misinterpreted many times from politics (included Hitler) for their own profit.

Hitler was a master in the art of misinterpretation of others to suit his own views, he did the same with Nietzsche and, to a lesser extent, with Wagner.

As for Socrates, i said that considered from many ancient philosophers or orators a person invited from Plato, because Plato was the only that spokes about Socrates sayings, without presenting anything written from him. For example, in High-School we study Thucydides which does not recognize the existence of Socrates. So, Socrates remains a disputable person. As for me, i can't say nothing with certainty

Yeah, no one can be a 100% sure about these matters but Plato wasn't the only one who wrote about Socrates. Aristotle, Xenophon and Aristophanes also did. By the way Thucydides was a fool and a big liar, he "decorated" real events a bit too much.

If only the light weight of paper was the problem
Today they move money that doesnt even exist

It exist if they say it does .......... :Pawprint:

Fortunately, it s immaterial..
The US state debt is enough to make a pile of $100 bills
reaching the moon...

Money well spent ! :Pawprint:

Jack,

I wish you lived next door...

He does Ed , Jack lives in NJ ......... ;)

The money multiplier effect of banking "creates" money out of nothing - trillions of dollars in the bank when the amount of real world produce is less than 1% of that value (after factoring value-"addedness")

...such that in the event of world war, China will win because they have the most of the world's real assets, while USA has digital money that cannot be spent. Reminds me of the great depression.

Ohhh contrary to such thoughts, China does not win, they do not hold the cards ....

Here, we started a very interesting discussion, thank you, Fotios!
But I also know that we sooner or later so-called paddles in dangerous waters.
But at least until then.
Recently I saw an idiot television advertising:
(Well, which one is not that?)

They asked a Greek old lady, from her yoghourt recipe:
She answered so:
We gave the world the recipe for democracy.
Now the yoghurt recipe too?

I ask, what of Greek democracy was based on?
The slave-owning society.

Of course, I know that this is a question and finding it does not cover the whole truth, and the economic importance of slaves was not as big as what the question asked, and the answer is announces.
Rather, I ask this question of a provocation meant.

Something else:
How the money generated?

Zeitgeist: Addendum

This film is in any event, give a thought-provoking answers to this question.

What concerns the English language, I join the one speaking before me.

Wacky Gyuri

Interesting Film , viewed it awhile back , flawed in how it asserts blame , the owners have 2 heads, the plebs only see one at a time, due to such, man is doomed to repeat history, regardless.

Correct...The famed greek philisophers used their intelligence
to create theories justifiyng slavery.

Socrates view was that slaves where tools exactly like a spoon ,
and terefore, how could a tool be granted intelligence ?...
Not very smart coming from such a renowed man..

Wealth is always built on the backs of the poor.....

My view is that best systems in ancient societies can only be some good DNA to include in new systems of today where they could glue. The vast portion of human history did not live in ''rights'', the ancient Athenians and the Western Europeans after Enlightenment era, only gave birth to such democratic ideals due to successfully self organizing for various reasons. They were unique advances that is why still famous and copied, no matter the mechanisms of their original era. Slavery in Athens had nothing to do with what it evokes to the modern mind, has not to do with Roman era. It was about people without political rights. Slaves could even lend money to citizens. Athenian police and treasury clerks were slaves! It was a life more like of the economic refugees of today. In mines and ships they were mostly the condemned for crime. If they did something excellent or chose to fight for the city in times of need they were granted full civil rights. The democrats gave citizenship to thousands of slaves that fought by their side the aristocrats for instance.
Now about the money=debt thing, its a 300 year old web that overtightened with globalization. That system is made into a monster with digital tech and fast transport. Needs reset. It threatens the planet. Each animal in the Savanna can't afford to spend more calories hunting that it can actually eat. Why can we?

Class -A , Because it works ....... :D

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
For this reason Republic of Plato was misinterpreted many times from politics (included Hitler) for their own profit.

Godwin! Godwin! :D

Traumas must be dealt with understanding not with occultism.

you offer services in appalling aspirations of their followers

Followers? Offer services? Nah... It was merely an historic detail about his personality nothing to do with politics. I spoke about the man not about his deeds.

Back to money, I don't have any. Do you? Can you lend me some?:D

Terribly I hate myself because I cannot express myself properly in English. But i think, I will die so in this state already.
I cannot decide it, what the worse, the material one, or the intellectual poverty. Since all two cracking threatens the humanity. I give a thought to it, if I drank my beer, (in a lucky case) and I go away onto the toilet, how many people it would be possible to supply with this clear water, with what I rinse it.
However, I live from day to day, without reserve.
So, what can I do?
I pull my ear, my tail in, I bought AJ-X boards from Peter, I am glad that there is a hole on my a'ss. And I am sad meanwhile.
And i don't know, would not be better, if I would belong to the Morlocks rather.
I have the beard already at least to this.

Wacky Gyuri

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.