John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMD tests can be structured to tease out lots of this information - Cordell suggests dropping the SMTE 50/60 Hz down to 10-20 Hz to look for these hypothetical effects, you can also do dynamic "load soak" test - monitor distortion during cool down after the soak or interrupt every few seconds to do measure as the amp heats up

Self claims to have not seen any thermal effects with low audio frequency - he is still exploring bias stability/compensation as his "Optimum Class B" requires to prevent large changes in crossover distortions during turn on warm up or "load soak" magnitude music power excursions and ambient T variation

I think most here prefer the idea of using much higher AB bias, 100 mA or more per output Q so there is much less sensitivity, even simple thermal compensation, considerable "over compensation" won't reduce such an output stage to Class B or C operation under any thermal profile possible within the amp I,V limits

I do get tired of the limited "conventional measurement rhetoric - if you ask an engineer to setup a audio power amp development lab today he will go out and buy a recent AP analyzer - so right now "conventional audio measurement" - means everything in the menus, users manual of a recent AP analyzer

some here don't seem to even be up to speed on Cabot's 15 year old paper surveying, comparing audio distortion measurements...

Lavardin, "memory distortion" seemed to be another takeon thermal issues:
While it seems to be the “no/low nfb” proponents that are throwing up “thermal modulation” as an error of “those bad high feedback amps”

In fact in global negative feedback amps it is easy to have high audio frequency loop gain, low TC feedback R, and diff pair well separated from output stage power dissipation swings

high gain, bootstrapped cascode can keep input diff pair pwr delta order of uW for all linear operating range signals

Thermal distortion used to be almost the major distortion in op amps like the uA741. Yes! I measured it myself with an added plug-in to my TEK577 curve tracer back in 1974. The only thing that kept it in control was high amounts of negative feedback. Of course, over the decades, designers, perhaps embarrassed by it, worked hard to keep it down, but the close proximity of the internal parts inside the IC chip and the usual necessary Class B output, put plenty of pressure on thermal balance. I'm sure it is not as bad today, but who knows, IF we don't have a standard measurement for it? This is one main intrinsic advantages of discrete designs over IC's.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The low OLBW is not a given if the transistors are bad enough. It is also easy to ask for numbers creating an amplifier unrealizable in any process technology.

EDIT - Without degeneration gm and tail current are not independent???

How about this thought experiment: I have this great amplifier with the usual Cdom around the Vas stage. It has an OL BW of 20kHz at an OL gain of say 60dB.

Now I am increasing the Vas stage load impedance, with the same Cdom. I believe the result would still be 60dB @ 20kHz, but increasing OL gain toward lower frequencies, like 72dB at 10kHz and 84dB at 5kHz etc, and I continue until the OL BW is reduced to 10Hz, where it has a very high gain.

I believe that the 2nd amp is much more linear and transparent in the main audio listening frequency range. Or is there something I overlook?

Jan

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Successful open loop design? How quaint! '-)

Man* on a DIY site makes an RIAA pre-amp out of bits he had lying around** and it both measures and sounds great. WNTL. Raise a glass to the fact that the spirit of DIY survives despite everything :)

*OK, he's a ringer, but it's still DIY
** Not all of us are luckily enough to have such a good stash, but there are affordable options even in through whole.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Not all of us are luckily enough to have such a good stash
I'm in the middle of attempting to replicate an experiment performed by Richard Marsh and described on this website: purchase a boatload of complementary JFETs from a dozen different Chinese sellers on AliExpress, keep the batches separate*, and test them to find out whether any are legitimate or useable or both. It turns out this is inexpensive, 100 pcs for $15 with free shipping is about the median price. Why not give it a try; if it happens to work out you get difficult-to-source parts at low cost. If it doesn't, you haven't spent big money.

*so you know which vendors are worthy of a re-order

Music. Anything with a wide dynamic range.

Scott,

Does that mean you are responsible for all competent designs? Must be a real burden! :)

Strange conclusion. Dragging out the uA741 again does not teach much except that someone discovered something they could fix 40yr. ago. It is trivial now to demonstrate sub uV errors driving 600 Ohms from an SOIC op-amp. The poor 741 has to bear the burden of all that is wrong with IC op-amps. ;)

Last edited:
......purchase a boatload of complementary JFETs from a dozen different Chinese sellers on AliExpress, keep the batches separate*, and test them to find out whether any are legitimate or useable or both. It turns out this is inexpensive, 100 pcs for $15 with free shipping is about the median price. Why not give it a try; if it happens to work out you get difficult-to-source parts at low cost. If it doesn't, you haven't spent big money.

Mark,

You could save your money (and time and effort) and donate them to me. :)

We have checked out multiple "reliable and respected" vendors on Chinese Ebay (TaoBao) known to us
for the usual 2SK170/2SJ74 of any grade, as well as 2SK369's.
All fakes, especially the P-JFET.
The odd real ones are matched with corresponding ebay prices.

If you are lucky you might still find genuine 2SK246/2SJ103 etc.
Maybe some other seldom used N devices.

But then don't let me stop you having fun in hunting. :D

Cheers,
Patrick

Despite the 741's issues Digikey has 100K + in stock.

Wayne,

I think you miscounted! They list the same device two or three ways as in reel, cut tape and individual. My count shows only about 69,000 or so pieces. Prices start just above 11 cents for a reel of them and 41 cents for a single piece. Only 27,000 of the NE5534 and at 2-3 X the price!

However the last time I measured a 741 it exceeded all of the specifications by just a bit for some like GBW but a lot for Vos. Enough that I suspect it has been improved while being shrunk to match current processes.

ES

Last edited:
Wayne,

I think you miscounted! They list the same device two or three ways as in reel, cut tape and individual. My count shows only about 69,000 or so pieces. Prices start just above 11 cents for a reel of them and 41 cents for a single piece. Only 27,000 of the NE5534 and at 2-3 X the price!

However the last time I measured a 741 it exceeded all of the specifications by just a bit for some like GBW but a lot for Vos. Enough that I suspect it has been improved while being shrunk to match current processes.

A classic. You can get today a 555 CMOS timer (TLC555) that takes less that 250uA standby current, is 10x faster and 50% cheaper than the original bipolar 555, still in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.