Using Sub for Bass Guitar - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Dan2 is offline Dan2  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Using Sub for Bass Guitar

hey

i was hust wantering if it is possible to use a subwoofer for a bass guitar. i tried to use a car sub once, but i didnt have a powerfull amp to run it so i couldn't really test it.

i'm just a little worried that a sub's frequency responce doesn't have the range. if that is the case, can i hook up a mid-range driver with a sub and use that??
Old 27th July 2006, 08:58 AM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

You are right a sub wouldn't really have the range. You would be better off just using a proper drive unit because adding crossovers and more drivers never does the sound any favours.
Old 27th July 2006, 04:13 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Depends very much on the subwoofers driver, and whether
you are talking about a passive sub or an active sub and
for what purpose, practise or playing live.

Generally for live it would be a no-no, just too inefficient.

/sreten.
Old 31st July 2006, 06:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks guys

i just got one more question - is it possible to build my own amp for the bass driver? i tried using an acuostic guitar amp with an external mid-range driver - the amp didn't have the power and there was hardly any low frequency. i then hooked up the mid-driver to a mixer amp - it works but the amp (which has a 200w output) peaks and im pretty sure the driver won't last. if i get a proper bass driver will it be more efficent?? or should i rather just invest in a real bass amp?
Old 31st July 2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

If you really want to build for the fun of it, look at the ESP sound.au.com website project 27.
Old 31st July 2006, 10:07 AM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Like most amateur bass players I've practised and played through
most things and have owned a number of bass amplifiers / combos.

Avoid really cheap stuff, simply doesn't work well. Avoid any
transistor amplifier that is not specifically built for bass guitar,
they will sound poor, as do the really cheap bass amplifiers,
the amp needs some form of dynamic limiting / compression.
(I use an old Peavey mk111 bass head, built like a tank, sounds nice)

A proper bass (not guitar) 4x12 is awesome but rather large.
So most go for a 1x15 (8ohm). To this you can have the option
of adding another 1x15 (8ohm), a 4x10 (8ohm), or 2x10 (16ohm),
the latter known as a "brightbox", its about adding top end.
(I use a 1x15 for practise and add the 4x10 if playing live)

I also have a small practise amp.

Probably new best to start with a 1x15 combo.
Second-hand, a head and a 1x15 cabinet.

/sreten.
Old 31st July 2006, 10:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan2
thanks guys

i just got one more question - is it possible to build my own amp for the bass driver? i tried using an acuostic guitar amp with an external mid-range driver - the amp didn't have the power and there was hardly any low frequency. i then hooked up the mid-driver to a mixer amp - it works but the amp (which has a 200w output) peaks and im pretty sure the driver won't last. if i get a proper bass driver will it be more efficent?? or should i rather just invest in a real bass amp?
It's essential that you use a real musical instrument speaker - HiFi, and particularly in-car, speakers will sound rubbish and die very quickly. An acoustic amp probably isn't designed for decent bass anyway, so would probably need modifying for bass guitar use.

A bass guitar amp is fairly simple to build, but I would suggest you look at the Behringer range of bass combos - reasonably priced and sound great. I bought my daughter a BX1200, 120W with 12 inch speaker - it looks and sounds brilliant, and everyone who has played through it has liked it!.
Old 5th August 2006, 09:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

hi ...
i play bass ,and i tried using subs for a bass amp once , i tried tried tried and tried ! after all be SURE it ll not satisfy u .
try find some big PA speakers , it s really hard and expensive here to find instrument drivers or good PA drivers , i tetsed a very cheap RCF full range PA driver ( only 30$ ) and it works much much better than sub
after all if u wanna use the sub rememebr it s a hi fi car driver , a very bad driver to use as an instrument speaker !
Old 5th August 2006, 09:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

i forgot , i have some good circuits for bass amp / pre / compressor , etc , i collect them over around 2 years , if u r looking for a circuit contact me .
at the end lemme tell u something ( an advice ! )
i tried to build a bass amp for myself for about two years , i built , built , built lotsa circuits , lotsa amps , lotsa pre amps , bought lotsa drivers , i spent soooooooooooooo much more than a medium combo amp ! after alllllll i understood whatever i try , i cant built an amp as good as a medium manufactured amp , after all these wastin time and money , i bought a marshall b65 for bout 500$ here , and i m so satisfy with it .
so if u don have reach to good instrument drivers ( like celestion , eminence ... ) it s better to earn ur money for a manufactured combo
Old 14th August 2006, 07:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I am using a BIG PA speaker at the moment - but it just doesn't give the deep notes, plus a run it at almost full volume so it probably wont last long. i'll just have to save up and buy a bass amp. Thanks for all your advice guys

Hide this!Advertise here!