Using Sub for Bass Guitar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
help!! I picked up a 15" Pro Studio speaker for free, hey cant complain, but I cant find any info on the darn things parameters or wattage, it is a RM-065-241B 1999/12 SA 8 ohm Welton is the manufacturer. subsid of sony but Ill be darned if I can find didly. and also Im looking for schimatics of the ecs 250 crossover on the peavey 118 sub hc cabinet. I love the thunder that cab gives with a peavey mark IV head. building another cab with that 15 and 4 10's wanting full range. havent had any success finding the 1820 cab crossover. so please someone help!!

help!! I picked up a 15" Pro Studio speaker for free, hey cant complain, but I cant find any info on the darn things parameters or wattage, it is a RM-065-241B 1999/12 SA 8 ohm Welton is the manufacturer. subsid of sony but Ill be darned if I can find didly. and also Im looking for schimatics of the ecs 250 crossover on the peavey 118 sub hc cabinet. I love the thunder that cab gives with a peavey mark IV head. building another cab with that 15 and 4 10's wanting full range. havent had any success finding the 1820 cab crossover. so please someone help!!

Just reading an ebay auction description, reads as follows (thought I'd quote in case it disappears):

"
Pro studio Woofer Welton....PAIR(2) 15" woofers/subwoofers .... removed from pair of the HUGE 3 way TechWood Hi-Fi 5' tall enclosures....look to be actually made by East tech right along the lines of an Eminence Alpha/Beta copy. The numbers on the back are:1998/05 HA RM-065-241 8 Ohms. 300 watt capacity was on the enclosures......black stamped steel frames with 8 spokes, pressed front mounting gaskets, rubberized foam surrounds, thick and stiff pulp cones, with that poly coated appearance, pressed dust caps,cloth spiders, decent voice coils,spade terminals"

Implying that each speaker is 300W and assuming these are the same speaker.

You could at least get the fs without too much trouble, just say if you want suggestion for method.

Moving on to the use of PAs for bass....years ago I did a short spell setting up PAs for a hire company that did it right, reggae gigs got about twice the weight and volume worth of speakers, just to get the bass.

The sort of PAs that I see at small gigs nowadays just don't cut it, real bass guitar sound seems a thing of the past. By real bass guitar, I mean bass guitar that you feel as well as hear. Ho hum.

Last edited:
hold on there homeys!!!

a couple of notes:
purpose-built, proper bass guitar enclosures are ALWAYS better for bass guitar, period. not some behringer crap, i mean ampeg, genz benz, aguilar, eden, swr, peavey, gk, etc. did someone actually post kicker? lol you'll get exactly what you deserve! this is no joke, save up for proper gear, or at least do some research into plans for a proper bass guitar cab. big does not mean good all the time! a well designed cab can kill puppies with a single 10. anything rated below 96db is a waste of time. please check out talkbass. it's here:
TalkBass.com - Bass Guitar and Double Bass Forums: Basses, Amps, Strings, Effects
read read read.
thank you. rant over.:p

i'm not trying to kick a hornets nest. but would you use a hedge trimmer for your lawn? hedge trimmers work very well, for what they're designed to do. it's just that i have been there and done that. i'm hoping to help save future and current readers to avoid pouring money into something that most likely won't give great results. trial and error is a good way to solve problems; but with expensive things like drivers, and time consuming things like designing and building enclosures, it's not the best way to get to a positive result. would you recommend to a beginning circuit designer to just make things up using their own logic and throw out 5 decades of proven facts about how circuits work? acoustics are no different. there are properties and proven formulas, equations and just plain truths that can't be denied. now with higher frequency drivers, tweeters, and guitar speakers, you practically can't screw it up as long as you've got decent drivers and a sturdy box, i absolutely agree. bass is a different monster. best of luck, and i hope you check into this before you start spending money.

well, honestly it's my contribution to future readers that may come upon this thread. notice i refer mostly to earlier posts in the thread. i have no reason to personally smack anyone, or be "that guy" who starts up stuff, just trying to help out anyone who may not know these things (like I didn't know when I first started playing). i still have to lol about people who honestly think they're helping by suggesting a car sub for bass guitar. i'll go there as often as i feel necessary, and i'll say it again: if you know your stuff, then cool--roll with it. if you're looking for answers about what will and won't work for bass guitar, then my posts can help. 'nuff said.

yes please that would be way cool thanks for the help

I don't know how much you know about this stuff - and I'm a bit rusty myself! Maybe you could have a look at this by Rod Elliott:

Measuring Loudspeaker Driver Parameters

One thing to watch is that he uses the word linear to mean two different things... One is "the flat bit of the speaker impedance graph" the other is "speaker is being driven gently and distortion is low"

Anyway have a look, say what you make of it. Can you duplicate his test set up in particular? Note that there's lots of free software for generating sines (that's the waveform you need btw) from a pc, you don't need a dedicated signal generator, have a look at these:

http://www.zeitnitz.de/Christian/scope_en
- soundcard scope with signal generator

NaTCH Engineering - SigJenny an Audio Signal Generator for Free
- just a signal generator

Say what you think, this is a start anyway

Have to agree with new2, with caveat:

I believe it depends on what your doing with it (I may have missed it) Is this for gigging in big venues, practising alone, or something in between? If you play with a drummer who uses real drums (not pads) you will need a real bass rig. How big depends on how large a room and how loud the drummer plays everyone else (guitars, keys ) usually adjust there volume to match. I have a 15 watt fender practise bass amp (dont laugh) that I have attached to a 300 watt Velodyne sub to practise at home and its plenty loud and low, but its useless when I jam with real drums. The thing about a real bass rig driver is the abuse it can take, a bad flub can send an extra 20db into the driver (100 times the power) and not blow it. This is where compresors are nice to have (standard on many bass amps) but I like to think you learn more control without them and you have the dynamics when you need them. The other option for practising alone is headphones, loud as you want and no one else can hear you.

New thread for thunderpick's speaker

I thought that thunderpick would be better served by having a thread specifically for HIS 15" speaker, rather than keep getting people thinking he's talking about a sub-woofer unit - no one has actually managed to answer his question "what is it?" yet.

Here's the thread I started

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/209722-using-15-pro-studio-speaker-bass.html

I think thunderpick should say if he wants to use it. Hope I've not been too high handed with this, will fall on sword if required.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.