The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 251 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2012, 04:45 PM   #2501
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbon View Post
OK.
1: Take out your O2 PCB from the box. Get rid of the front panel.
2: Take the batteries out.
3: Find something as thick as the slots in the box.
4: Take whatever measure you like to keep the odac connected to the space below the batteries with component side down. I used tape that is adhesive on both sides. The tape is made for rugs/mats I believe.
5: Now this is the tricky part... We need new front and back panels that fits a O2/odac combo where the box itself has been turned upside down and the oda goes into slot 2 and the odac into slot 1 counted from the new bottom. I got rid of the Al structure in the middle of the box not to interfere with the inductor which is othervise in contact with the box.
6: The frontplate - all holes must move 2mm's up.
7: I have done this on my own but I don't have the measurements at hand. Just Put the odac into slot 1 and measure the distance to the usb hole...

I will buy a few If anyone else is interested in a fitting combo and someone wants to get this happening... Otherwise I'll make my own but since the ones for O2 was much better than I'll ever could produce I'll rather see that someone made a GB out of this!

This way you will have it all - O2 and ODAC in a B2 enclosure with batteries :-)

Brgds

BTW: I confess - I took some electricians tape to be sure the regulators won't shortcut to the lower top in the box...
Photos!!!!!!!! We need photos!
Old 9th June 2012, 05:15 PM   #2502
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriman View Post
Photos!!!!!!!! We need photos!
I was able to get my ODAC fitted into the case in a similar manner, lots of grinding/filing on the case, I used a thin sheet of acetate(look for blank stencil material at hobby store) glued to the case and double sided tape found at a hobby store. The acetate isolates the usb and inductor from contacting the metal in the case.

I have it wired up, the input jack works but im not getting sound when using the usb input. I belive I need to cut the ground traces on the pcb as indicated in the photos? I just want to be sure before doing so, I don't want to lose any functunality.

Clarification for a supreme dumbarce please.

Turbon, would love to see some pics of yours. I will post some more pics of mine tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 05:48 PM   #2503
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes thirdman - If the power agrees I will upload... But of course I have to barbeque and feed her first.
Yes - you have to cut the traces...
Yes - we need someone to sell the modifyed front and backplates to us ;-)

Brgds

Last edited by Turbon; 9th June 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 9th June 2012, 08:31 PM   #2504
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanolson View Post
The replacement power receptacle you listed is your best option, but beware that the blades are a bit larger so they will need to be filed or vertically crimped to fit in the PCB holes.

Also, the unloaded voltage of that Xicon AC adapter is 21V. Just think about that for a bit.
Thanks Ethan. I will get the replacement J1 part and stick with WAU16-400.
Old 9th June 2012, 08:37 PM   #2505
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

OK, here they are... I'm shure others will share better ones.

Brgds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.JPG (479.3 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg back.JPG (460.0 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg internals.JPG (475.7 KB, 400 views)

Last edited by Turbon; 9th June 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 9th June 2012, 10:09 PM   #2506
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdman View Post

I have it wired up, the input jack works but im not getting sound when using the usb input. I belive I need to cut the ground traces on the pcb as indicated in the photos? I just want to be sure before doing so, I don't want to lose any functunality.

Thanks
Hi, cutting the traces is a must, otherwise your signal from the ODAC goes to ground. I did something unexpected by mistake I plugged my headphones in the input jack of the O2 and... There was music straight from the ODAC....
Old 10th June 2012, 11:00 PM   #2507
diyAudio Member

Making a new front panel, for an upside down O2 with slotted ODAC, didn't take my fancy so I've gone for the ODAC under the O2 PCB with simple electrical tape to keep things in place. I intend to find some firmer method, perhaps using a hot-glue gun (suggestions welcome) to keep it all in place and together.

For the time-being I will simply find a bit of wood to jam against the back of the ODAC to keep it from sliding back when attempting to plug in a USB cable. The whole of the underside of the ODAC board I covered with electrical tape to avoiding shorts against the case.

I purchased some needle files to make the USB connector hole in the backplate (which I haven't done yet) which came in handy to file down the solder on the under side of the ODAC as otherwise it doesn't fit: the joints are too high even when snipped very close to the board. I filed very carefully balancing the file with my thumb and making short, slow movements. It took a surprisingly short time.

Pics included with scratch marks where I scraped the board. I left a little bit of height to the solder, to avoid scratching up the board, but possibly as thin as the electrical tape which you can see in one of the pics. I ended up soldering the last three joints on the top side of the board to make certain there would be enough solder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7719_w640.jpg (80.0 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7723_w640.jpg (106.7 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7724-w640.jpg (58.5 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7726_w640.jpg (60.8 KB, 174 views)
Old 10th June 2012, 11:07 PM   #2508
diyAudio Member

I ought to mention that the ODAC is producing a small amount of noise on my Etymotics at high gain perhaps due to the poor twisted pair (I was impatient) that is also too long. I might change that some time but it's not audible at listening volumes.
Old 10th June 2012, 11:29 PM   #2509
diyAudio Member

Okay, here are some pics of my O2 and ODAC batteries still in tact. I was able to keep mine mounted in the same location in the case and retain the faceplate. I filed off inside bottom of the case where the inductor is to a bout half the original thickness, I hope is does not crack. I also glued a thin sheet of Acetate to the inside bottom of the case to keep the ODAC inductor and USB port from contacting the metal on the inside of the case.

I have been listening to it on My sony laptop with JRiver Media Center 17 using WASAPI-EVENT SYLE through my Shure SRH940 Headphones and it sounds fantastic.

@Turbon, how and what did you use to cut your micro usb slot in the back plate?

Pics will have to wait.....I am unable to upload pics,I have contaced the administrator, getting this error:

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."
Old 11th June 2012, 12:04 AM   #2510
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdman View Post
Okay, here are some pics of my O2 and ODAC batteries still in tact. I was able to keep mine mounted in the same location in the case and retain the faceplate. I filed off inside bottom of the case where the inductor is to a bout half the original thickness, I hope is does not crack. I also glued a thin sheet of Acetate to the inside bottom of the case to keep the ODAC inductor and USB port from contacting the metal on the inside of the case.

I have been listening to it on My sony laptop with JRiver Media Center 17 using WASAPI-EVENT SYLE through my Shure SRH940 Headphones and it sounds fantastic.

@Turbon, how and what did you use to cut your micro usb slot in the back plate?

Pics will have to wait.....I am unable to upload pics,I have contaced the administrator, getting this error:

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0616.jpg (1.02 MB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0618.jpg (898.5 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0619.jpg (873.1 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0621.jpg (711.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0622.jpg (817.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0626.jpg (876.4 KB, 141 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!