"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2011, 10:52 PM   #491
heinz1 is offline heinz1  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much, Owen, for setting up additional versions of your amp.

I would be in for 2 sets of BAL->BAL PCBs plus PSU PCBs. Depending on the final price, I'll upgrade one of these to a full kit.
Old 5th June 2011, 10:51 PM   #492
N Brock is offline N Brock  United States
diyAudio Member

While soldering my boards I accidentally burned up R8. However looking back at the board and schematic it appears that it can be left empty in an SE build. The negative input is connected to ground so there is no point in having the 10k between them. Right? I'd really like some back up on this so I don't have put in an order to mouser and to worry less about destroying chips.

Otherwise all is looking well and I'll post pictures as soon as I'm done.

Thanks OPC,
Nelson
Old 6th June 2011, 03:53 AM   #493
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Brock View Post
While soldering my boards I accidentally burned up R8. However looking back at the board and schematic it appears that it can be left empty in an SE build. The negative input is connected to ground so there is no point in having the 10k between them. Right? I'd really like some back up on this so I don't have put in an order to mouser and to worry less about destroying chips.
As long as you are running SE and the negative input is tied to signal ground, you should be fine.
Old 6th June 2011, 04:01 AM   #494
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
As for transformers, I went with an Amveco 62053-P2S02 (Digikey: TE62053-ND) 15VA part with dual primaries and dual secondaries (each secondary is 15VAC at 1A). An expensive part, but, I love the size of these things! I used them before in my gamma2.

As for performance, at 121.3VAC from the wall, I am getting 18.8VAC at the regulators (output locked in at +/- 15 at the respective rail). So, I suspect this is right about perfect as it gives some overhead to allow the regulators to stay in regulation. I have not measured them, but the heat sinks for the regulators are barely warm. Touch them all day if you like without fear of pain. Nice.
Not sure what I was thinking when I originally wrote this, but let me correct it:

I took another set of measurements, at ~122VAC at the wall, I am getting ~18.8VAC at the secondaries of the transformers before the rectifiers. After the rectifiers and prior to the regulators, I am measuring about ~23.5V, plus/minus respectively.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 6th June 2011, 04:04 AM   #495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdr View Post
Seems that people who have built "the wire" have had very little DC output offset from the various reports in this thread, which I would attribute to high accuracy resistors, good chips, and opc's good layout.
FYI, with no signal into the amp nor any load, I am measuring about 1.7mV of DC offset.
Old 6th June 2011, 09:03 AM   #496
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

no, i'm not sure that leaving r8 unpopulated is a good idea, without it the impedances will not be balanced and offset may be effected. even if grounded, it should be grounded through an equal impedance to the signal, otherwise feedback will be different to what is intended. did you cook the pad, or just the part?
Old 6th June 2011, 10:42 AM   #497
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

bare in mind i'm not 100% sure of the effect and whether it will matter to the output. less than 1 x zero is of course still zero.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:32 PM   #498
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
no, i'm not sure that leaving r8 unpopulated is a good idea, without it the impedances will not be balanced and offset may be effected. even if grounded, it should be grounded through an equal impedance to the signal, otherwise feedback will be different to what is intended. did you cook the pad, or just the part?
So, if that is a concern, then pull R2 and call it a day.
Old 7th June 2011, 01:22 AM   #499
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Knight
I'm in for a BAL-BAL and PSU kits. TIA.

Old 7th June 2011, 10:41 AM   #500
N Brock is offline N Brock  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
So, if that is a concern, then pull R2 and call it a day.
I think that's what I'll be doing.

Hide this!Advertise here!