• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Possible OPA2134 Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm all in favor of getting the cheapest price. I'm skeptical that they would deal with us for a 1-shot 1KU order.

Bob--have you actually talked to anyone at TI to see if they can do anything for us?

I'm adding my interest to the WIKI, and that should put us squarely above 1K.

--Greg

Re: better ?

BobEllis said:
so with OPA2134s you'll have to be careful to keep the crossover frequency below 800 KHz, although distortion does hit .001% by 20 KHz.

Cobra2 said:
6172 is a fancier opamp than 2134, but more difficult to work with, (oscillates easier), and therefore need a better layout & psu.

:hot: I actually prefer 2132 to 2134... :devilr:

Arne K

Please forgive my ignorance; not being an op-amp expert, these statements confuse me a bit. I'm looking at a 3-way x-over with 2 boards (on each side), should I not use the 2134 for the Mid-Tweet cross (~1500)? With these boards and the associated PSU you guys are putting together, is the 6172 ok or should I be concerned with oscillation problems? :scratch:

Thanks
John

John,

With any circuit you should be concerned with oscillation. The 6172s are more prone to problems than the 2134s. Board layout is a factor.

Given Jens' board design experience and day job, I suspect that 6172s will be fine. However, the only way to know for sure is to build up a set.

You should have no problems using OPA2134s for all positions. Some people like the bottom end of the NE5532 better than the 2134, and build bass sections with them.

Re: Re: better ?

BobEllis said:

so with OPA2134s you'll have to be careful to keep the crossover frequency below 800 KHz, although distortion does hit .001% by 20 KHz.

JohnL said:

...should I not use the 2134 for the Mid-Tweet cross (~1500)?

JohnL--

I also think you might have missed the joke, somewhat. There was a comment in the "Active Filter GB" thread about using an opamp with a gain-bandwidth product (sometimes referred to as "unity gain frequency") that's 10x the highest frequency in use. This implies a conservative GBWP of ~200kHz (10x above 20kHz audio).

Bob's somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment was that since the OP2134 has a GBWP of 8MHz that it would be useful up to about 800 kiloHertz, so the bats in your attic can enjoy their Hi-Fi, too.

John, don't feel bad about not getting all of this. I have a BSEE and still learn something new almost every time I'm on this board. Welcome to the world of DIY electronics. Here's to always learning something new.:cheers:

--Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.