• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Active filter board GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MKP2 is fine - some go a bit crazy with FKP2. I also like the Panasonic stacked film caps that Digikey sells. With the panasonics or FKP2 you're limited to 10 nf that will fit the board, so probably high frequency sections only. You could use a 10 nf bypass on the bottom of the board for the LF sections.

Another round of boards?

Hypothetically, if nobody minds me doing it and if there is enough interest, I'd be happy to organise another round of filter board purchases although I'm not in a position to help out with PSU kits but I guess we could get PSU boards made. I think there would have to be about 50 filter boards required to make it worthwhile.

Now, I know nothing about PCBs so someone would have to help with the spec and giving me the files to send to the manufacturer but i'd be happy to buy the boards and post them out.

This place looks sensible (I think) http://www.pcbtrain.co.uk/onestepquote.php but am happy to use whoever.

The cost of the boards would be whatever they cost + postage + PayPal charges (50p or 2.5%, whichever is greater I think) I.E. whatever the cost price to me is. Postage costs are here http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400036&mediaId=53800712 and here http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400029&mediaId=50800722

So, assuming it's OK with everyone for me to do this, who would like any boards and how many would you like?

Using their rough pricing widget at about $9.50 US, pcbtrain seems about double the price that Advanced circuits charged at 100 pieces. Of course that was 10 day turnaround instead of teh 30 days I used at Advanced.

While I don't have the time to do a GB, I'd be happy to place an order for someone else to ship. That would save the setup charge you might otherwise have to pay.

As for the PSU board, there has been some discussion over in the Leach amp GB thread about using them to regulate the front ends. That might make the volume a bit better if you could ombine the interest. Again, I could pace the order for someone else and save tooling costs.

Parts kits were a bit of drudgery, but I made it easier by purchasing small plastic parts bins and going through one part at a time, dropping them in the bin. Poured everything but the semiconductors into an anti-static bag and then dropped the semis in. Not to imply that you should do a parts buy, too.

It sounds like Advanced Circuits would be the best place to buy from so it would be great if you would order on the groups behalf. Ed LaFontaine has very kindly offered to help by shipping boards to North America (if there are sufficient numbers of interested peopel from that area) and I'd be happy to take care of Europe and the rest of the world.

It's certainly no problem for me to ship PSU boards to anyone who is interested but sadly I'm not in a position to undertake a parts buy.

I have had to assemble thousands of packs for something I work on in my spare time and do appreciate the considerable efforts involved.

take a look over in the Pass Labs section - aleph P and BOSOZ and its variants are balanced.

Twisted Pear has variants of these preamps. The TX-d driver will do the unbalanced to balanced conversion.

Realistically unless you have a balanced source, there is little to be gained converting to balanced, especially for short runs. If you have a long run from your XO to the amps, you might want to use the TX-D on the output of your XO and send a balanced signal to the amp section.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.