• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

MOX active crossover buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, these are the numbers so far:

MOXlite
Nisbeth: 4
Joster: 4
BG: 8
Jonk: 4
Kepa: 2
AndrewT: 8
Marius: 4
Total: 34

MOX v1.1
Illusus: 4
Cambe: 4
Total: 12

Based on this interest, I don't think there are enough for a MOX 1.1 order at this time. I'll keep appraising the situation though.

I will definitely go ahead with a MOXlite order. The price is $8 for a single board. I do have a good number of opamp boards available.

jleaman,
The board includes input buffer, two bandpass sections, and a high pass section. It also includes two parametric EQs and regulators.

kepa1,
I will publish schematics and a spreadsheet for determining component values.

AndrewT,
Personally, I think the discrete opamp is most valuable in the mid+high; I don't think there is so much of a difference at lower frequencies.

Here is an updated PCB. I created a separate power ground run, increased the capacitor spacing (except for the 100pF input caps, all caps can be at least .280"/7mm wide), and cleaned up the ground plane some more. Please let me know any other comments.

Attachments

• moxlite_v11.gif
    moxlite_v11.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,143
tiroth said:
Okay, these are the numbers so far:

MOXlite
Nisbeth: 4
BG: 8
Jonk: 4
Kepa: 2
AndrewT: 8
Marius: 4
Total: 34

MOX v1.1
Illusus: 4
Cambe: 4
Total: 12

Based on this interest, I don't think there are enough for a MOX 1.1 order at this time. I'll keep appraising the situation though.

I will definitely go ahead with a MOXlite order. The price is $8 for a single board. I do have a good number of opamp boards available.

jleaman,
The board includes input buffer, two bandpass sections, and a high pass section. It also includes two parametric EQs and regulators.

kepa1,
I will publish schematics and a spreadsheet for determining component values.

AndrewT,
Personally, I think the discrete opamp is most valuable in the mid+high; I don't think there is so much of a difference at lower frequencies.

Here is an updated PCB. I created a separate power ground run, increased the capacitor spacing (except for the 100pF input caps, all caps can be at least .280"/7mm wide), and cleaned up the ground plane some more. Please let me know any other comments.

You got Mail.!

Alternative to Cauer-elliptic filter

These boards are of interest to me for the option of bi-amping a combination of PE's RS-180 with the SEAS 27TDFC. This is done quite well with passive components by Jon Marsh and found here:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=11321

My reservation for using his passive crossover is the cost... over $200/ speaker. I believe this board provides a cost effective alternative. The aluminum cone RS-180 has break-up modes that should be removed with a steep-sloped x-over, such as 48 dB/ octave.

bg40403,

What topology does a Cauer elliptical filter use? These boards are setup for Sallen-Key filters...it's possible that you could use the boards with some degree of POOGEing...the alternative, using SK filters, means that you are really creating your own crossover, and it can't be expected to be the same effect.

Jon really seems to put a lot of time and thought into his designs, and I think that makes replicating them in active form a lot more challenging. On the other hand, you do have the advantage in that you don't have to deal with the changing impedences of the drivers when you go active.

I'm officially taking orders now!

This is the timeline that I plan to keep to:
April 4 - begin preorder
April 18 - end preorder and buy boards
May 16 - boards are mailed to me
May 19 - boards are mailed out priority to everyone who ordered

What is available
MOXlite - $8 - 2 bandpass, 1HP, 2 EQ, regulators
Opamp - $5 - 8 discrete opamp boards
MOX v1.1 - not enough interest so far
Shipping - $6 USA, $7 Canada and rest of world

I think this will be a small order, so there will be no problem getting the boards out the day after I receive them.

Contacting me
My web host picked the perfect time to destroy my site! I have signed up a new hosting account and thrown up a page for MOX orders while I work to resurrect the old site. If you emailed me in the last 2 days and did not get a reply, please send your email here: tiroth -at- brinkster -dot- net. (I've also updated my profile, so the email button also works)

Here is the order form!
http://tiroth.brinkster.net/mox_order2.html

tiroth said:
I'm officially taking orders now!

This is the timeline that I plan to keep to:
April 4 - begin preorder
April 18 - end preorder and buy boards
May 16 - boards are mailed to me
May 19 - boards are mailed out priority to everyone who ordered

What is available
MOXlite - $8 - 2 bandpass, 1HP, 2 EQ, regulators
Opamp - $5 - 8 discrete opamp boards
MOX v1.1 - not enough interest so far
Shipping - $6 USA, $7 Canada and rest of world

I think this will be a small order, so there will be no problem getting the boards out the day after I receive them.

Contacting me
My web host picked the perfect time to destroy my site! I have signed up a new hosting account and thrown up a page for MOX orders while I work to resurrect the old site. If you emailed me in the last 2 days and did not get a reply, please send your email here: tiroth -at- brinkster -dot- net. (I've also updated my profile, so the email button also works)

Here is the order form!
http://tiroth.brinkster.net/mox_order2.html

You should have me down as i have emailed you but got no reply. I would like 4 please ..

J'

Ok, here is a preliminary schematic. It is not at all up to the level of Jen's guide, but it's suitable for poking around. I'll try to get this cleaned up a bit at some point.
http://tiroth.brinkster.net/doc/moxlite_v2_schem.pdf

Here are shots of the board multilayer, and each individual layer for clarity.
http://tiroth.brinkster.net/doc/moxlite_v2_board.pdf

You can see this uses a basic S-K topology. Items of note include the fact that any stage can bypass the input buffer allowing easy cascading for 24dB/octave or higher. There is also room for a 0.5"/12mm footprint voltage dropping resistor before the regulators; this should allow compatibility with most PSUs without the need for an extra low voltage transformer.

You can see that I have named components logically; that is, the S-K filter sections have the same designators but _A or _B appended. I don't know if this is useful or not...please give me your opinion if you care. I am happy to go either way.

If there are any comments or requests about spacing, grounding, etc. those are fine too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.