• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Official GB for DSD DAC Signalyst DSCv2

There is also...

HQP only works with NAA, ROON - with Bridge. I.e. you can't use ROON with NAA or HQP with Roon Bridge.
But you can:
1. run NAA and Bridge on the same computer and switches ROON - HQP - NAA or ROON - Bridge for the same DAC
2. run NAA and Bridge on different computers, connect two DAC and control stream by ROON (ROON-HQP-NAA-DAC1 and ROON-Bridge-DAC2).

3. Using a Sonore Rendu device as the Ethernet endpoint which can easily switch between running as NAA and ROON RAAT.

Hi , I 'm kinda new to diy-dacs, I read alot of the pages here and a few other threads i could find on this but i'm a little unsure about the choice between the 2.5.2 & the 2.6.2 - I understand that the 2.5.2 can be stacked for a smaller footprint, but unsure why this is important? And that it has options for different size caps? - but I could use some guidance in the why to change caps and the possible advantages that these options might have? Thanks for any input . . .sorry for the dumb questions : )

LL7401 needs a negative source impedance. Therefore, it will be necessary to make an additional circuit from the datasheet.

That's very interesting.

They claim:
Using mixed feedback drive circuits with audio output transformers have two major advantages:
1. Transformer-caused distortion is reduced (or almost eliminated)
2. The primary copper resistance of the transformer is eliminated, thus reducing the output impedance
correspondingly.

QUOTE=pinnocchio;5475715]Received my PCBs today. Boards look really good!
I also received my Amanero with the Crystek oscillators on them (pump-up version).
Caps and/or resistors for the output board have to be bought separately, correct? I guess BoM is in the manual so I'll look into this tonight.
Thanks for everything!
Do[/QUOTE]

Hi, Do.
For stock transformers it is recommended only 2 resistors (thin film 0,25/0,4W or better) for the best square-wave responce.
Pls see User Guise to calculate the value.
But you can start listening music right now, resistors will only improve sound quality.

Last edited:
2.5.2 can be stacked for a smaller footprint, but unsure why this is important?
Smaller footprint is only needed to decrease size of final DSC chassis.

And that it has options for different size caps? - but I could use some guidance in the why to change caps and the possible advantages that these options might have?
With 2.5.2 you can use LL1684 transformers and wider choiсe of capacitors. Different transformers and capacitors affect the sound quality (you may prefer one or another). 2.5.2 is just more flexible board if you need it.

For example, I prefer LL1684 with Wima FKP, but a lot of people are happy with stock transformers. It's a very subjective choice.

Last edited:
Finally, I've tested BBB + iancanada McFIFO/McDualXO (Crystek CCHD-957 45.1584 MHz 49.1520 MHz) vs Advanced Amanero (Crystek CCHD-957 22.5792 MHz 24.5760 MHz).

First of all BBB+iancanada reclocker works very well - stable, no artifacts up to DSD512. :) There is a small pop at the start of playing, but for now DSD_ON on DSC side is pulled-up to 3,3V (only MUTE wired from BBB/McFIFO side). I'll try to eliminate this pop by wiring DSD_ON too.

Listening impression:
1. BBB + McFIFO/McDualXO performs stunningly! IMO, noticably better then Advanced Amanero with Crystek. More natural timbres, perfect scene reconstruction. I even did not think it was possible after DSC+Advanced Amanero. My girl friend asked me not to turn it off and continued to listen to music for another couple of hours. :)
2. There was only one track (Cecile McLorin Salvant - Growlin’ Dan) I gave preference Amanero, which successfully emphasized the intonation of the singer's voice (a little more "air" around voice).

I think Cronus/Rhea/Hermes-BBB Isolator/ will perform at the same level (with slightly less cost).

Nevertheless, still think that Advanced Amanero is a very good option taking into considerations its price.

Thanks luchoh and nautibuoy for their feedback about Cronus/Rhea/Hermes, which inspired me to buy a McFIFO/DualXO board! :)

Thank you very much for this very interesting information. It shows that proper galvanic isolation of the new DSC brings much improvement.

Now you have tested BBB / Mc Fifo etc. Do we have a report yet of the Cronus/Rhea/Hermes route with BBB or Amenero?

Vit, can you reflect on the benefits by other galvanic isolation options like iGalvanic or Intona (other?) compared to BBB/Mc Fifo/..?

Thanks! Pieter

Do we have a report yet of the Cronus/Rhea/Hermes route with BBB or Amenero?
Vit, can you reflect on the benefits by other galvanic isolation options like iGalvanic or Intona (other?) compared to BBB/Mc Fifo/..?
Pieter, I don't have a plan to try Cronus/Rhea/Hermes. I was interested in using reclocker with DSC and bought McFiFo/McDualXO because it was in stock (Cronus/Rhea/Hermes - no). I'am pretty sure, that using Cronus/Rhea/Hermes gives ~ the same result as McFiFo/McDualXO.

I've tried Intona with DSC 2.5. Sound became a little dirtier, more noise in measurements.
Using Intona with Soekris dam1121 gives only audible improvements. But dam has reclock, DSC - not.
My opinion - isolation followed by reclocking is a right approach.

Vit, would you mind posting a picture or 2 of your setup with BBB -> McFiFo/McDualXO -> DSC 2?
I'm curious how they are hook up together.
In 2-3 days will arrive PCB for connecting BBB with McFIFO, McDualXO with DSC by uFl cables. After that I'll post some photo and small HOWTO (Botic setup and settings, wiring BBB/McFIFO/DSC, BOM and PCB gerber files).

The BBB is with NAA ? So we can have BBB with NAA, Mute pin, DSD ON ? How to set that up ? Thanks

Yes, BBB with NAA. Botic allows to output MUTE and DSD_ON. McFiFo/McDualXO has their own MUTE and DSD_ON pins too, but MUTE is only works when clocks is switching.

Hi Pavel,
I'm Bippo from Italy, I write for first time in this forum. If I understand correctly, the difference between 2.5.2 and 2.6.2 it only in the pcb size, correct? I would like a 2.6.2 without output connectors.

So, can you describe me how to order the board?
Thanks a lot...

Hi Vit123
May you share your idea and experience for Raspberry PI 3 and BBB for NAA?
Can connect Raspberry PI 3 with McFIFO?
Hi, benkit.
As far as I know, only BBB supports external clocks and DSD Native up to DSD512. RPI is limited to PCM 192kHz. I'am not sure that PRI is capable of DSD Native output.

See article about RPI's internal clock and I2S:
Raspberry Pi B+ Digital Audio | H i F i D U I N O

Hi Pavel,
I'm Bippo from Italy, I write for first time in this forum. If I understand correctly, the difference between 2.5.2 and 2.6.2 it only in the pcb size, correct? I would like a 2.6.2 without output connectors.

So, can you describe me how to order the board?
Thanks a lot...
Hi Bippo.
For now Alexey Galkin (aka HiddenPilot) is responsible for production and shipment of DSC v2.
With DSC 2.5.2 you can use LL1684 transformers (2.6.2. - only stock and LL1527XL) and "stacked" configuration (output board below DSC board).

Hi Vit,

Could you please post or PM me a picture of your HQ Player config? I'm very visual and would like to see it.

Thanks
Do

PS, I've installed a copy of Debian Stretch without GUI on my Intel Quad core Atom computer and added HQP latest x86_64 NAA to it but HQ Player does not seem to see it even though I can ping the IP addresses (Networking is my main official job)... Don't know what I'm doing wrong... I might go with the BBB but would need to know your setup if you don't mind?