• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
It works :D

The problem were the five 100 ohm resistors. Seems the BCK signal from my cd-player is weak and got attenuated below a minimum signal threshold. Someone else on the thread had a similar problem and this started my poking with a wire and resistor bypassing. With all five or four resistors in series = no sound. Three resistors in series = weak sound and lots of noise and clicking. With two resistors it works wonderfully.

The sound:
On the cd-player I already had larger mkp bypass capacitors for the dac and nos mod and I did not expect such an improvement. It really stunned me how much more transparent and liquid the sound is. After the cd nos mod, the sound was very analog or brutal like and now it's very smooth, more natural and extremely pleasant to listen to. Haven't done extensive testing yet, but I am already very impressed.... Thanks Oliver for all the help and the amazing Red Baron!!!

and now it's time to enjoy a bit... before the clock upgrade :D
Martin

Hi Martin,

i am very pleased that you like the Red Baron with such great results and this without any shunt regs in the power lines AFAIK! :p
Imagine the sound with them...:D

I think it would be a good idea to insert a buffer, to unload the complete I2S line and to have stable signals. This could further improve the SQ.

Have much fun and let us know some more sound details after burn in.

Servus,
Oliver
:wave:

Hi Alex,

in the next weeks Chris (crobbins5421) will test different things with the Red Baron and Ian´s FIFO. I think his results will answers also your questions.

Oliver

any updates here?

Just to clarify do I need to participate in Ian's i2s->pcm board gb here :confused:
I have already mixed up what do I need if I'm planning to use Red Baron (will parallel the boards) in the main system directly from CD transport. It seems pretty clear here in Oliver's blog, just to omit the i2s switch or perhaps I'll add it later if decide to go for usb as well.
The question is should the UHSB be followed by Ian's board?

Also, Oliver, which boards do you have in stock besides PS?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
ATM no. I am waiting to GB IV and Chris i think is still testing.

Just to clarify do I need to participate in Ian's i2s->pcm board gb here :confused:

Yes! Ian stated this here:

I guess you are concerned about true 16bit I2S (in which sck=32Fs) and 32bit I2S(sck=64Fs) issue.

I confirmed many times, TDA1541 accept 32bit I2S (with 16 bit data) without any problem, That's the native feature of Philips I2S protocol .

But if you are thinking it would be better feed TDA1541 with true 16bit I2S, that's fine. In this case, I would suggest you useing the I2S to PCM daugher board after clock board. The daughter board was specially designed for DACs running at NOS mode. It's not only capable for true 16bit output, but also can stop clock after loading data in order to minimizethe noise floor.

But unfortunately it's still not available for GB so far. :D

Ian

The question is should the UHSB be followed by Ian's board?

To finally answer this question, we must wait to the 1st who could try this.

Also, Oliver, which boards do you have in stock besides PS?

All PSU modules are in stock.

My plan is to attempt the mods this weekend.

Using larger decoupling caps than usual this time around.

I'll use Ian's FIFO with Salas Shunt (Oliver's board) in the 5V parts configuration "tweaked" to 6V and 500 mA.

1000R resistors (to start) will be used for I2S attenuation only. The oscillator (pins 16 and 17) will be attempted with (2) 6K8 resistors in place of where the 2.2k resistors are marked. A 1000 pf polystyrene will be placed across the "chip" side of those resistors. The 12K resistors spot will be left blank, but I'm going to put a 100 pf air cap across the output to tune the frequency. My goal is to lock at 88 k (~1024 pf).

Haven't taken a hard look at the R.B. board lately, but pins 16 and 17 should see those two caps above as being in parallel.

One word of warning...I've found that those WIMA decoupling caps take a LONG time to fully burn in. May not post results until that happens.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Bargain Sale

Twisted Pear
WM8804 SPDIF to I2S Transceiver Module

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You could read further information HERE.

You could make a special deal for $59.
including Worldwide shipping

Payments only via paypal.

If you are interested, please send me a PM.

Sold!

bom

It seems like I saw a parts list somewhere, but I just can't recall where. So if you would, please tell me where can I find a bom for each board? Can you tell me the part number for the wago terminals shown on the boards? I've been searching for a US source, but I don't see Wagos like the ones shown here. Thanks!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It seems like I saw a parts list somewhere, but I just can't recall where. So if you would, please tell me where can I find a bom for each board? Can you tell me the part number for the wago terminals shown on the boards? I've been searching for a US source, but I don't see Wagos like the ones shown here. Thanks!

You find all BOM in my blog HERE.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Bargain Sale

Bargain Sale

Here you could order two of my ready build Red Baron DAC test module:

Main Parts

- PRP resistors
- Sanyo OS-CON SEPC capacitors
- Highspeed NL17SZ02 adapter pcb for DEM-Reclocking

for the special price of

$55 each

including
Worldwide shipping and paypal fee

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Bargain Sale

Main Parts

- PRP resistors

for the special price of

$55 each

including

Only one left!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Bargain Sale

Main Parts

- PRP resistors

for the special price of

$55 each

including

Both sold!

Red Baron V4 features

The Red Baron V3.0 DAC Module is sold out.

The new Red Baron V4.0 DAC Module
is comming soon...

Hi Oliver

what is new in your incoming Red Baron V4?

You have mentioned use of 1210 decoupling capacitors 1uF/16V acryl (DF - about 1.5%).

Can you also add soldering pads for SMD 1206 decoupling capacitors on upper side of PCB (under TDA1541)?
This would allow to use decoupling capacitors as it was in most old Philips and Marantz CD players :), but current days we can put COG/NPO 100nF capacitors here. Those capacitors have less that 0.1% DF, so it can be worth.
And your PCB would be more flexible in application.

Best regards
Saulius

Hi Oliver

You have mentioned use of 1210 decoupling capacitors 1uF/16V acryl (DF - about 1.5%).

Can you also add soldering pads for SMD 1206 decoupling capacitors on upper side of PCB (under TDA1541)?
This would allow to use decoupling capacitors as it was in most old Philips and Marantz CD players :), but current days we can put COG/NPO 100nF capacitors here. Those capacitors have less that 0.1% DF, so it can be worth.

Best regards
Saulius

X2

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver

Best regards
Saulius

You will find a solution on the New Red Baron V4.0! ;)

BTW, John (-ecdesigns-) recommend to use Cornell Dubilier FCA1210C105M-G2 1µF/16V SMD on all decoupling pins (DF: 0.015%).

You will find these in the new RB V4.0 BOM.

You will find a solution on the New Red Baron V4.0! ;)

BTW, John (-ecdesigns-) recommend to use Cornell Dubilier FCA1210C105M-G2 1µF/16V SMD on all decoupling pins (DF: 0.015%).

You will find these in the new RB V4.0 BOM.

Tangent delta (DF): 0.015 (data from datasheet in Mouser) is 1.5 % :) .
It is almost twice better than any X7R ceramic (0.025 - 0.05), but still ten times worse than COG/NPO (<0.001).
Problem with NPO capacitors is low capacitance per volume - we need at least
100 nF, better 470nF, best - 1000 nF.
But ot would be fine to try do it with 100nF NPO, if this not enough - to add 0.47 - 1.0 uF syacked type MKT or any other suitable capacitor.

Red Baron with Ian FIFO

I (finally) finished the integration of the Ian FIFO with The Red Baron. Build notes are in my last post. FWIW...

1. Lock frequency is ~88K
2. Salas 5V shunt modded to ~6V (500mA) - Thanks Oliver and Salas.
3. Decoupling caps - 3.9 uF Solen (Thanks James) on MSB pins. 1 uf WIMA on the next two pins (other 1 uF underneath). Following 4 caps are .22 uF WIMA.
4. Air cap is BARELY engaged. Used -40 dB music to fine tune.
5. 6.8K resistors under the board
6. Ian FIFO works flawlessly - Bravo!
7. USB to I2S converter from JarekC. 16 bit data/16 bit frame. Very easy install. It's the second of JarekC's converters I've used.

Early listening has me speechless...its just so smooooth...with no detail loss. The two things that stick out are the bass improvement (weight and attack) and the upper ferquency range (clarinet and harmonica have no "etch")

I'll report back once this gets a few hundred hours on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0465.jpg
    IMG_0465.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 502
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I (finally) finished the integration of the Ian FIFO with The Red Baron. Build notes are in my last post. FWIW...

1. Lock frequency is ~88K
2. Salas 5V shunt modded to ~6V (500mA) - Thanks Oliver and Salas.
3. Decoupling caps - 3.9 uF Solen (Thanks James) on MSB pins. 1 uf WIMA on the next two pins (other 1 uF underneath). Following 4 caps are .22 uF WIMA.
4. Air cap is BARELY engaged. Used -40 dB music to fine tune.
5. 6.8K resistors under the board
6. Ian FIFO works flawlessly - Bravo!
7. USB to I2S converter from JarekC. 16 bit data/16 bit frame. Very easy install. It's the second of JarekC's converters I've used.

Early listening has me speechless...its just so smooooth...with no detail loss. The two things that stick out are the bass improvement (weight and attack) and the upper ferquency range (clarinet and harmonica have no "etch")

I'll report back once this gets a few hundred hours on it.

Hi Chris,

this is a very promising short review. I hope Ian could start the GB IV shortly, because i couldn´t await to integrate the FIFO in my rig...:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.