• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hallo Oliver,

would be interested in your DAC as well!
would very appreciate if you could clarify several questions:

1. Are you planning to restock +-PS pcb?

2. If I go for Red Baron, do I need to use mosfet buffer that is on pcb or I could connect Salas DBC1 buffer directly to the TDA1541 output?

3. As a usb/spdif -> I2S converter a transceiver from Twisted Pearl Audio was mentioned here (unfortunately it's currently out of stock) as well as the one from JarekC. So the question is could these two be used as well:

- Amanero USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter
- XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Did not had time to read the whole threads regarding these I2S converters, hence asking. Thought it would be better to finish the one here first.

Attachments

• IMGP1175.JPG
    IMGP1175.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 469
  • USBtoI2S_top.jpg
    USBtoI2S_top.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 476
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi dtses,
to your questions:

1. Are you planning to restock +-PS pcb?

I will restock the +/- PSU pcb in January.
If you want, you could also use the DDNF I/V Stage PSU Module (Mundorf M-LYTIC AG+ 4-Pole caps recommended) for the three voltage lines of the Red Baron DAC.

2. If I go for Red Baron, do I need to use mosfet buffer that is on pcb or I could connect Salas DBC1 buffer directly to the TDA1541 output?

You need an I/V converter stage, either the onboard MK7 version from -ecdesigns-, the DDNF from Pedja Rogic, the Tube-I-zator or another one.

3. As a usb/spdif -> I2S converter a transceiver from Twisted Pearl Audio was mentioned here (unfortunately it's currently out of stock) as well as the one from JarekC. So the question is could these two be used as well:

- Amanero USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter
- XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

As long as they support the TDA1541A, is see no problem to use them. The only thing they should have are buffered output signals. If they haven´t this feature, you could use my UHS-Buffer module in front of the I2S input of the Red Baron.

:wave:

thanks Oliver & wlowes!

I'll check the test later tomorrow along with reading all this thread :)
Took a glance at all pages of Amanero discussion but didn't find any mentioning of buffered output signal. The web also says nothing about it, so perhaps I need this UHS-Buffer module.

I2S Grounding Questions

I am currently implementing the Amanero board with The Red Baron DAC build.
I will report back when complete and "burned in". I am using the UHS buffer and it works very well in this application.

In the meantime I've got a question as to the connection and transmission of the I2S as discussed here (especially post #780 -very good point) :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/216474-usb-i2s-384khz-dsd-converter-78.html

So Oliver (and everyone)...is it as important to run the I2S dual signal/ground wires on the 3.3V side AND the 5V output side of the UHS Buffer to The Red Baron ?

Thanks

dvb-projekt,

I'm just trying to figure out the cost of building this project. Is the following correct? The PS board is out of stock, so 1x V3 Red Baron board @ $15, 1x Shunt reg board (+5, -5, -15) @ $20, 1x +5V shunt reg board @ $10, 1x UHS I2S Buffer @ $11, and 1x shipping to the UK @ $5. Total = $61. Plus 3.9% Paypal fee. Is that correct?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
dvb-projekt,

I'm just trying to figure out the cost of building this project. Is the following correct? The PS board is out of stock, so 1x V3 Red Baron board @ $15, 1x Shunt reg board (+5, -5, -15) @ $20, 1x +5V shunt reg board @ $10, 1x UHS I2S Buffer @ $11, and 1x shipping to the UK @ $5. Total = $61. Plus 3.9% Paypal fee. Is that correct?

Correct :up:

wouldnt the i2s fifo buffer plus the i2s/PCM universal driver be the ticket?

I own a LOT of i2s convertors and this one PWNS them all. you could add a USB convertor if you absolutely need USB, but the way this works it essentially marries whatever source you are using to the dac. you can use his spdif add on module, or any USB->i2s you like and as long as you dont need higher than 192kHz (the spdif coax will do 216, but only the i2s does 384khz) there really isnt any difference at all, its agnostic in that regard.

you can also use his galvanic isolation board between the fifo buffer board and the clock board, which then isolates the dac from any and all noise on power or ground (USB ground for example), then leaves only the clock jitter plus that of the clock buffer as the total jitter output. so the source and transport IS the dac itself so to speak

IMO it really doesnt leave much room for improvement and the daughterboard actually allows driving the TDA directly...

wouldnt the i2s fifo buffer plus the i2s/PCM universal driver be the ticket?

I own a LOT of i2s convertors and this one PWNS them all. you could add a USB convertor if you absolutely need USB, but the way this works it essentially marries whatever source you are using to the dac. you can use his spdif add on module, or any USB->i2s you like and as long as you dont need higher than 192kHz (the spdif coax will do 216, but only the i2s does 384khz) there really isnt any difference at all, its agnostic in that regard.

you can also use his galvanic isolation board between the fifo buffer board and the clock board, which then isolates the dac from any and all noise on power or ground (USB ground for example), then leaves only the clock jitter plus that of the clock buffer as the total jitter output. so the source and transport IS the dac itself so to speak

IMO it really doesnt leave much room for improvement and the daughterboard actually allows driving the TDA directly...

Thanks qusp. I took your advice and made the "adjustments" on the I2S signal/ground you recommended. MAJOR improvement. I had to alter The Red Baron DAC board (drilled a hole to access the I2S inputs and grounds from underneath). The bass is back, midrange richness is there as well.

Could you please tell us which parts we'd need if we wanted to utilize USB input with the Ian boards? I'm trying to get some technical info and it seems that i keep bouncing around on the group buy threads....

Thanks qusp. I took your advice and made the "adjustments" on the I2S signal/ground you recommended. MAJOR improvement. I had to alter The Red Baron DAC board (drilled a hole to access the I2S inputs and grounds from underneath).

Hi crobbins5421,
Can you explain exactly what adjustments on the I2S signal/ground you made,
and how? I'm very curious.

Regards

Still correcting grounding issues...

Question for the followers of this fine hobby (obsession)....

What is the preferred method for star grounding? I thought I had it correct, and I'm still getting this weird intermittent hum...

I'm powering my USB to I2S converter with Oliver's (Salas) 3.3V shunt. I lowered the current limiting resistor to 10R to get more current. The problem lies in the fact that when there's no music playing there's almost no hum or hiss. When music is playing (on some songs/cd's) there is some hiss or static. Here's where it gets weird...when I touch the 3.3V board (or caps or heat sinks or anything else) the hiss and static gets much louder.

All component boards rest on a wood board. Comments?

Red Baron mods to work with 3.3v USB/I2S

In doing some "light reading" in the ecdesigns thread, I stumbled on this post where John gives resistor values to modify the I2S attenuator to work with 3.3v I2S signals:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...e-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-462.html#post3240270

Thoughts?

I bring this up as I am auditioning different USB to I2S converters and currently use Oliver's High Speed Buffer with very good success...but might it be a better solution to ulilize the 3.3v output directly?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.