• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hiface USB -> I2S 24bit/192Khz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting. Looks like this eval board includes its own DAC, unfortunately, when all we need is USB -> I2S. That's what made the M2Tech option attractive.

On the upside, I love that it works driverless on Mac. Proprietary software/drivers put us at the mercy of the manufacturer, which can lead to future incompatibiliy and early obsolescence. Thanks, audiodesign.

It would be great if the XMOS guys could develop a USB->I2S solution with proper low jitter/low phase noise clocks for us.
I doubt they will. But in case, it would be MUCH better to have a setup which does NOT have any clock on board but rather accepts an external one (providing some line telling which of the two frequencies it should be).

This way one may connect whatever good local clock directly to the DAC and then send it back to the board. Using full isolation on all interconnections toward the USB interface (I2S, clock and required control lines) without impacting actual jitter on the DAC.

This is actually what we should aim for the best results.

I have sent email also to Xmos, Eric Juaneda probably can develop a board with these chips (15$ each) if the driver is free

I think we need at least to different chips. One is made by SMSC - USB transceiver, i think it may be any from the 883xxxx and 83xxx family, and microcontroller from XMOS. They do provide binaries for this reference implementation, but for our purpose it may/will be needed to develop our own firmware and thus driver... But if we will follow reference implementation, then maybe included firmware/drivers will do the trick.

No problems.
It will be a lot of fund, especially we do chip only.
OK, we may need to buy one development kit as a group for re-engineering.

I vote for XMOS.
Great price, easy to get; fun for DIYing.....
The rest can be tailored to our needs.

What else do we want ?

Maybe we should open a new thread and see who is still in ?

Patrick

Last edited:
Vote for XMOS. What is more there are gerber files, BOM's etc. So we may order reference boards from external company. After evaluating one may design board which will fit to custom needs. Thier processors seems to be really good for such application and they provide lot of tools for development. For me this is the best choice.

ok, created the contact con Xmos in europe

I have sent the following request:

We should like to know the price of these 2 options:

1) buy about 150 item of your USB Audio boards to use like a USB to I2S at
192KHz 24bit
we need the driver for Mac and Windows XP and Linux if available

2) buy about 150 chips to integrate in a target pcb
we need also in this case the driver for Mac and Windows XP and
Linux if available

Joined 2009
Paid Member
ok, created the contact con Xmos in europe

I have sent the following request:

We should like to know the price of these 2 options:

1) buy about 150 item of your USB Audio boards to use like a USB to I2S at
192KHz 24bit
we need the driver for Mac and Windows XP and Linux if available

2) buy about 150 chips to integrate in a target pcb
we need also in this case the driver for Mac and Windows XP and
Linux if available

I need drives for Vista, could you ask please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.