• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Tube-I-zator Professional PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thought it might be fun to post a pic of my setup...

It sounds great! Just need a custom transformer for the latest board, and a few new parts. (using 115v on this board)

The tubes get a little chilly sometimes when I have the balcony door open so I made them a house. Then it became a church.

OuRCkyA.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi , I'm using a tube izator as output stage for buffalo II .
As stated , I have placed a 2.2 uf capacitor in each channel . I use a BA -3 as a preamp that has a decoupling capacitor 10 uf .
I wonder if I can eliminate 2.2 uf capacitor at the output of izator tube .
Thanks!

Hi Alberto,

please let the output caps from the Tube-I-zator in place!

Otherwise you could damage the BA-3 inputstage (DC input).
The 10uF Caps are the output caps from the BA-3 frontend!
To get a 100% answer, you should post your question in the BA-3 thread.

Best,
Oliver

Any ideas why minor clipping occurs as volume increases (noticeably with low end bass) with v2.0 board, 12AX7, 480R for I/V and 200R for Rk star grounded to RCA signal fed from a single AD1853?

I ordered fresh quad of 6N2P-EV to try in case its something to do with my 12AX7's being half health.

Well according to the datasheet the AD1853 is not a true current output (I-out) dac in the traditional sense, there is a 2.75v dc offset or at least voltage reference from the +L/R signals. Tried a capacitor before the tube-i-zator to treat it as a v-out but signal was way too low after the tube-i-zator. Added a 2uf pio before the outputs as there seems to be dc on the rca around 7v and drifts for a good minute or two before nearing low digit to zero mV.

Not sure if the vref needs to be treated before the tube-i-zator or after but there is slight clipping if gain is too high (attenuated volume) from my headphone amplifiers on low-end bass tracks. Acoustical and instrumental is fine.

Any ideas? I see old posts on this forum from past users that AD1853 and AD1955 are bit more of a challenge to perfecting a good tube or active I/V stage after the DAC and need a buffer or filter after the first I/V stage.

Dear DIY fellows,

I am building my tube-I-zator (thank you Oliver :)) and one of the DACs I would like to connect to is BuffaloIII Dac.
Where I am so far is as follows:

let´s call it Option 1:
Buffalo + out --> Signal in
Buffalo GND --> GND
Buffalo - out --> not connected
The value of the Rk´s stay. Only omit the R I/V

That solution will make the Buffalo to work on voltage mode. What I want is to have it working on current mode taking both differential outputs with a scheme like this one (let´s call it Option 2):
IV-Tube.gif

I would love to have option 2 implemented. Anybody has a similar experience ?. It´d be great to hear.

Cheers,
Pepe

Last edited:
Hi Oliver!

Finally I've got some time to complet my Tube-I-zator 3.1. All looks fine but when I tested voltages first (without tubes) I've mesured 191 volt at R1. The problem come from the transformer: it's a nominal 150V but when I tested it I've mesured 170V. I've fixed the B+ output just in 150 volt using the R18 trimmer and this looks stable, but I'm worried about this. I wonder if replacing R1 for a 1K1 would be a good idea to low the input voltage.

Apart from this, el DAC works fines and sound good at first connected to my preamplifier, a little bit in the bright side, probably it will be best with some time warming. But if I connect it directly to the power amps, I got a very bright sound, without bass and very noisy. I suppose that this is for the output impedance of the Tube-I-zator. What is the value of this?

Thank you!
Ignacio

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver!

Finally I've got some time to complet my Tube-I-zator 3.1. All looks fine but when I tested voltages first (without tubes) I've mesured 191 volt at R1. The problem come from the transformer: it's a nominal 150V but when I tested it I've mesured 170V. I've fixed the B+ output just in 150 volt using the R18 trimmer and this looks stable, but I'm worried about this. I wonder if replacing R1 for a 1K1 would be a good idea to low the input voltage.

Apart from this, el DAC works fines and sound good at first connected to my preamplifier, a little bit in the bright side, probably it will be best with some time warming. But if I connect it directly to the power amps, I got a very bright sound, without bass and very noisy. I suppose that this is for the output impedance of the Tube-I-zator. What is the value of this?

Thank you!
Ignacio

Hi Ignacio,

if you could adjust the voltage to 150V output, everything is fine. Salas recommended a input/output voltage delta from at least 15V.

The Z-Out depends of the used tube. You find some Z-Out calculators via google. ;)

Best,
Oliver

Hi Oliver!

At last I have my Tube-I-zator v3.1 with my Buffalo II running and singing!. Thanks a lot, I'm very very happy with it.

I'm thinking about try the new Sabre ES9038PRO DAC. This chip has current level three times the old 9018. Do I must change some resistor value at the input of the Tube-I-zator?

Thank you!

Regards,
Ignacio.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver!

At last I have my Tube-I-zator v3.1 with my Buffalo II running and singing!. Thanks a lot, I'm very very happy with it.

I'm thinking about try the new Sabre ES9038PRO DAC. This chip has current level three times the old 9018. Do I must change some resistor value at the input of the Tube-I-zator?

Thank you!

Regards,
Ignacio.

Hi Ignacio,

you should only adjust the I/V resistors to get the same voltage output (U=I*R) ;)

Best,
Oliver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.