• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

US Plitron Mini GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
orthoefer said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. I've purchased a half a dozen different transformers from Plitron in the past without difficulty. They are expensive and it takes a while to get them, but Plitron's technical support has always been responsive. Needless to say, I've been pleased with my purchases from Plitron. There must be a reason that so many high end audio manufacturers choose Plitron.
I agree with you there, but the new order minimum ($250) makes it difficult for those of us who buy as we go (1 or 2 at a time). My recent exchanges with the new sales manager showed absolutely no flexibility in this matter, so I bought elsewhere. I still love their product and would even pay more for it, but it seems they are more focused now on OEMs not little guys.

Where I called Avel and bought one $22 30VACX2 30VA that would have cost ~$70 AND it shipped same day and was at my door the next.

The thing is I do not think Plitron keeps any stock. It is all custom done. While you may say that is good it drives the price up with little to no benifit. I chatted with a manufaturer of amps and he told me that he believes that Plitron is working off their reputation now and is not nearly as good as they used to be cost/quality wise. As in they raised their prices above what he thought quality/service is worth. $0.02

sts9fan said:
Where I called Avel and bought one $22 30VACX2 30VA that would have cost ~$70 AND it shipped same day and was at my door the next.

The thing is I do not think Plitron keeps any stock. It is all custom done. While you may say that is good it drives the price up with little to no benifit. I chatted with a manufaturer of amps and he told me that he believes that Plitron is working off their reputation now and is not nearly as good as they used to be cost/quality wise. As in they raised their prices above what he thought quality/service is worth. $0.02
Now I see what you are talking about. Plitron is screwing themselves with this inflexibility. Oh well, I guess the economy is so good that they don't need small frys and startups. I seem to remember somthing about a semiconductor manufacturer ignoring a 15 year old with crazy name (Wozniak) that ultimately suffered by never sourcing any components in an Apple product.

I may pick up this GB and buy 10 of the transformers myself. Then resell 8 of them to interested parties. But the thought of being "stuck" with a bunch of transformers is daunting. Plus there really is not much of a discount in doing a GB. Rather it is overcoming Plitron's stupid minimum purchase. So are there interested US only buyers in 18-0-18 300VA Plitron transformers that would likely be delivered in 1-2 months? Payment would not be collected until shipment in 1-2 months.

The wait begins

I've ordered six 300VA 18VACx2 transformers from Plitron--model 077014201. I plan on keeping two for me and selling the remaining four. Price is $85.36 each plus shipping to you. If I get socked with an import duty (I live in USA, and Plitron is in Canada), then you will be asked to cover a portion of that as well. If you want to reserve one of these four, let me know. A paypal deposit of $40 per transformer will reserve your spot. As always Plitron takes forever, but the quality is good. Although their web page says 10 day delivery, I expect a 1 month delivery. They've always underestimated the time for delivery. Transformers will be carefully re-packaged and promptly sent to you upon their delivery to me.

Tea Bag is confirmed with deposit for 2 of the transformers. That leaves 2 left. I will consider shipping internationally if no other US buyers show interest. However, my initial intent was for US residents only. These are dual primary transformers so they can be used with 115V or 230V mains.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Custom Magnetics

I recieved a qoute from custom magnetics.
I have no experience with them, but they seem to be the only people in the USA with R-Core experience.

I am not inclined to order these considering the price.
the reality is, you could buy two Plitrons or several Antek's for the prototype price, and we may not want to order these in quantity given they may measure and sound aweful.
I was hoping for a inexpensive proto price to test.:D

Hello Mike,

Thank you very much for the opportunity to quote on a dual 500VA transformer in R-core or in a toroidal package. We have reviewed your preliminary specifications and it looks the toroidal package is comparatively cheaper than R-core. We can build in either package. We are pleased to present you with following budgetary quote:

Part # Quantity Unit Price with Toroid Unit Price with R-core

TBD 2 Pieces Samples $150.00 $190.00
25 Pieces $90.00 $110.00
50 Pieces $80.00 $95.00

We can provide you samples for qualification in 6 weeks ARO. Our start up production lead-time is 12 weeks ARO, FOB Chicago, IL and terms are net 30 days with approved credit.

Re: Custom Magnetics

Tea-Bag said:
I recieved a qoute from custom magnetics.
I have no experience with them, but they seem to be the only people in the USA with R-Core experience....
Pretty pricey stuff. At least they responded to your inquiry. When I was looking for an R core for my DAC project months ago, I emailed them and never heard back. Now I know that it would have been cost prohibitive. I ended up with a PC mount triple secondary Plitron toroid for the DAC.

tms0425 said:
Just for reference on the F5 trafo, the Antek AN-4218 400VA 18-0-18v is $37 plus $10 shipping in the US, using the discount code GN8128 (not a group buy). I'm going to give it a try.

I may also order an Antek just to do a comparison. Anyone know if their transformers run at the same voltage as the Plitron when the rails are loaded? ie do I have to order more or less voltage to get the same final voltage at the rails?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.