• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

US Plitron Mini GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
labjr, send me an email so that I can send you a request for $40 deposit via Paypal.

pedrop, I will have to up the order from Plitron again. If you are certain you want the transformer, I will also need a $40 deposit from you to secure the transformer. Send me an email so that I can send you the Paypal request too.

Disclaimer: I have no commercial affiliation with any of the companies mentioned.

Out of curiosity, why haven't any of you considered SumR? They do full shielding and encapsulation and custom winding just like Plitron, but they're less expensive and no minimum order.

They are located in Canada so shipping is a little slower, but that's about the only drawback I've experienced.

MoodySteve said:
Disclaimer: I have no commercial affiliation with any of the companies mentioned.

Out of curiosity, why haven't any of you considered SumR? They do full shielding and encapsulation and custom winding just like Plitron, but they're less expensive and no minimum order.

They are located in Canada so shipping is a little slower, but that's about the only drawback I've experienced.

Never heard of them. How much do they cost?

I used a SumR 80VA 30V transformer for the AMB ß22 preamp/headphone amp that I made last year. After replacing the unshielded tranny I was using with the SumR, the 60Hz hum in sensitive headphones disappeared. I was pleased.

I have two more on the way for the AMB ß24 that I'll be building this year.

So, I personally recommend the transformers from this company when shielded transformers are needed. Otherwise I generally use Avel-Lindberg.

I am in the process of upping my order with Plitron to a total of 10 transformers. So that means 2 are left unspoken for. Anyone may contact me to reserve one ($40 deposit required).

Here's what we have so far:

CORT (me) 2
Teabag 2
Samoloko 1+
Daniel D. 1
Collin R. 1
Labjr 1

My hat is off to people who do larger group buys. It's a logistical challenge. I am definitely closing this group buy after the 10 transformers are spoke for.

P.S. Never heard of SumR either.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Custom Magnetics

Tea-Bag said:
I recieved a qoute from custom magnetics.
I have no experience with them, but they seem to be the only people in the USA with R-Core experience.

I am not inclined to order these considering the price.
the reality is, you could buy two Plitrons or several Antek's for the prototype price, and we may not want to order these in quantity given they may measure and sound aweful.
I was hoping for a inexpensive proto price to test.:D

Hello Mike,

Thank you very much for the opportunity to quote on a dual 500VA transformer in R-core or in a toroidal package. We have reviewed your preliminary specifications and it looks the toroidal package is comparatively cheaper than R-core. We can build in either package. We are pleased to present you with following budgetary quote:

Part # Quantity Unit Price with Toroid Unit Price with R-core

TBD 2 Pieces Samples $150.00 $190.00
25 Pieces $90.00 $110.00
50 Pieces $80.00 $95.00

We can provide you samples for qualification in 6 weeks ARO. Our start up production lead-time is 12 weeks ARO, FOB Chicago, IL and terms are net 30 days with approved credit.

I am considering ordering two R-Core 500VA 2 X 18V secondaries as samples.

If there is one or two people who may want to borrow to listen in circuit or purchase one sight unseen let me know.

I can then listen test myself - differences in Antek, Plitron and US Magnetics R-Core. Anyone I trust well or has test equipment will get biased and preferential treatment. :D

It's probably a good time to have them around, as people have their FW boards in various stages or clip leads, smoke and chassis building operation.
If the listening test turn out exceptional, then a lot more could be ordered for a little more than a Plitron.

Mike

Re: Re: Custom Magnetics

Tea-Bag said:

I am considering ordering two R-Core 500VA 2 X 18V secondaries as samples.

If there is one or two people who may want to borrow to listen in circuit or purchase one sight unseen let me know.

I can then listen test myself - differences in Antek, Plitron and US Magnetics R-Core. Anyone I trust well or has test equipment will get biased and preferential treatment. :D

It's probably a good time to have them around, as people have their FW boards in various stages or clip leads, smoke and chassis building operation.
If the listening test turn out exceptional, then a lot more could be ordered for a little more than a Plitron.

Mike

I just figured Papa designed the F5 as a whole and the synergy of the parts including the Plitron sound good together.

I think there's a balancing act played to get the sound just right. I trust his golden ear since he's been sucessfully doing this for four decades or more.

There's also the possibility that there's a point of diminishing returns with more expensive parts.

Re: Plitron--model 077014201

pedrop said:
My account is still in moderation. Please send me the paypal request so I can post payment. Thanks.

pedrop
I am having a bit of a hard time figuring out how to send you the Paypal request since I cannot send you emails. Whenever I click on the option to send you email through DIY forum, it says something about your email not being turned on.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
orthoefer said:

My hat is off to people who do larger group buys. It's a logistical challenge. I am definitely closing this group buy after the 10 transformers are spoke for.

Just wait til you have to carry them all back to the post office ...
:bigeyes:

I just went to Plitron today actually to pick up some surplus transformers (4x24v, 2x18V 234V input and a 2x36V). It looks like the sales dept has all changed since we did the last GB.

The 4x24V says 'Wadia' on it, so I guess we're in good company with these transformers :clown:

Good Luck and make sure to post pictures of the stuff you build with these.

There is one transformer order left on this GB available for purchase. I've confirmed with Plitron a total quantity of 10 pieces (plus Samoloko's surplus transformer) and won't reopen the order. See my link above to make a deposit for the last availble unit. The transformer price for everyone will be $85.36 each plus shipping to you. I've been taking $40 deposits from US buyers and near full price deposits from international buyers. (Pedrop, you made a $47 deposit--your extra $7 will be applied to your balance).

Here's a list of deposits so far:

CORT (me) 2
Teabag 2
Samoloko 1+Plitron's surplus unit
Daniel D. 1
Collin R. 1
Labjr 1
Pedrop 1

Maybe Plitron will surprise us and deliver sooner than expected, but I am anticipating 3 weeks for the transformers to arrive at my house, then another few days to a week for the pieces to be delivered to their final destinations.

Thanks to all.

Possible 240V to 2x18V Plitron

Hey guys,

In case anyone came too late to this thread to get in on the group buy but still wants a Plitron, check this out. I was looking through the Surplus section of Plitron's website and noticed the following, for 240V users:

Custom Power Transformer

234V primary (1 pair of wires only)
2 x 18 V secondaries (2 pair wires)
300VA rating

Get this: $46 CDN plus shipping.

So, if unlike me you can use 240V primary, check this link out:

http://www.plitron.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=652

I think they only have one, but I didn't look too far into it. I have no affiliation with Plitron, of course.

Best,
Collin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.