TABAQ TL for Tangband

Thanks Prezden, these were my 3rd and 4th build since joining in the fun here at DIY. So far I have built the the CHR70M.3/Alpair7M.3 Pencils, and two pairs of the TABAQ TL'S. The drivers are here for my next build of the modified TABAQ TL Plan that Bojorn turned me on to, using the new Tang Band W3-2141 3". This will be my 5th build for my brother. All the speakers were for family members with the exception of the Alpair 7M.3 Pencil's which I built for my bedroom system. I figured they will enjoy the gift of music, which after all is one of lifes simple pleasures!

Thanks.
Mac

Last edited:
Thanks Perceval! I am kinda looking forward to this next build for my brother, with the new Tang Band W3-2141 3". Bojorn was kind enough to do a Sim for a modified TABAQ TL, over in the "New Tang Band Alert Thread." X, chimed in to say the bottom end would be in the neighorhood 48HZ, which would be quite respectable for a 3" full range driver. I posted a picture of the drivers over in that particular thread,as well, so folks could see what they actually look like sans PE site. More to come on this build in the near future!

Thanks,
Mac

Thanks Guangui, it's going to be hard for me to wait, but I have to get them packed up in some U-Haul wardrobe boxes. They will be out of sight, but hardly out of mind for the next few months. It will be worth the wait to see the look on their faces on Christmas morning when they get to listen to them with their Muse 20 Amplifier hooked up and I-PAD music source.

Thanks,
Mac

I decided to take the folded TABAC speakers as my first DIY speaker builds. Today I made cut all the wood pieces from 12mm birch ply. The idea for this project came from the need to get smaller speakers in our living room ( quess if it was my idea or my wifes...) and use speakers that I allready have.

My question to you is which one of these would be better suited for these small enclosures.

First candidate. Dayton PS95-8.
Dayton Audio PS95-8 3-1/2" Point Source Full Range Driver 8 Ohm

In a nutshell the parameters look are like these:
FS 119,8 Hz
Re 7,1 ohms
Le 0,63 mH
Qms 7,33
Qes 0,80
Qts 0,72
Vas 0,850l
Xmax 2,5mm

The second driver I was considering is Hybrid Audio L4SE. Somewhat larger and wayy more expensive driver, but since I have them collecting dust the price isn't a concern here.

Overall Diameter: 118 mm (4.65-inch)
Mounting Depth: 56 mm
Bolt Circle Diameter: 109.5 mm
Mounting Hole: 94.5 mm
Recommended Minimum Crossover Frequency: 140 Hz at 24 dB/octave highpass
Pnom Rated Power Input (No Crossover): 35 watts (AES Standard)
Pmax Rated Power Input (No Crossover): 70 watts (AES Standard)
Pmax (With Recommended Minimum Crossover): 150 watts
Frequency Range: 92 Hz – 18,000 Hz, +/- 3 dB vSensitivity: 87.3 dB at 1 watt/1meter
Mms: 3.632 g
Cms: 821 um/N
BL: 3.19 T*m
Voice Coil Diameter: 25.5 mm (1-inch)
Impedance: 4 K
DC Resistance: 3.2 K
Fs: 92 Hz (free air)
Qms; 3.795
Qes: 0.661
Qts: 0.563
Xmax: 3 mm (one way)
Vas: 2.95 L
Le: 7.1 uH
Sd: 5027 mm2

So which one would you use in this type of a project?

BR
Hannu

I have been learning how to use Hornresp to simulate the TABAQs. I got a remarkably similar sim results with the TABAQ Large. So I tried using the same method with the PS95 in the smaller TABAQ. I couldn't get the same result. The one posted by Bjorn using the Tang Band W3s/W4s looked better. They go flat to 50.

With the PS95, the bass falls an octave earlier and with a slight peak at the end. However, the F6 is pretty much the same, it's just that you don't get as much SPL at 50Hz.

If someone have successfully tried the PS95 in a TABAQ, I think either I have done something wrong, or the published specs isn't accurate. The RS100-4 however was very similar to Bjorn's published sims for the TBs, but again, using the published specs. The RS100 is a 3 inch though (despite the name).

Last edited:
*If someone have successfully tried the PS95 in a TABAQ, I think either I have done something wrong, or the published specs isn't accurate.*

I was going to do a TABAQ build with this driver, but after researching the reveiws which spoke to your exact descriptions, i decided on the Tang Band W3-2141 3" driver. Looking back in retrospect I am glad I did. I just think the PS95 was not well suited to maximise on Bjorn's design, and I would not have been happy with the end result.

Mac

The FR88EX seems better.
I'm not saying that it will definitely work, but the sims in Hornresp suggests that this driver is easy to work with in some sort of a TL. You may even place it higher in the TABAQ, but that would require a few extra baffles to experiment. That could be a fun thing to do.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I am very much a beginner and still has A LOT more to learn.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member