TABAQ TL for Tangband

Hi xrk971

The driver used in Kvart&Bølge is a "trade secret" ;-)

But I can tell you that I have never seen this driver in any DIY project. A hidden gem in other words.

Hi
Bjørn

It's quite apparent that it is one of the Peerless alu drivers. @ 2.5 inches, 8 ohm, 84 dB and neo magnet that leaves only very few possible candidates.
Look at Tymphanys site. :)
Maybe this one:
http://www.tymphany.com/wp-content/themes/pathfinders/specsheet.php
But anyway they all sound very much the same of that brand, ~ size and material.

Hi

I am planning to Build TABAQ using either

Dayton RS-100-8 or

Tymphany TC9FD - 8

I can source both the driver easily here in india

Which one do you think sounds better for TABAQ
without changing any design ?

Do i need BSC for both ?

Thank you for your time,

Looking forward for your reply

Regards
Jay
Also consider the Dayton PS95-8. It's not much higher in price than the TC9FD at diyaudiocart.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's quite apparent that it is one of the Peerless alu drivers. @ 2.5 inches, 8 ohm, 84 dB and neo magnet that leaves only very few possible candidates.
Look at Tymphanys site. :)
Maybe this one:
http://www.tymphany.com/wp-content/themes/pathfinders/specsheet.php
But anyway they all sound very much the same of that brand, ~ size and material.

The Peerless P830986 was recently tested on the Subjective Blind Comparison thread and it faired quite well. Aluminum cone, Nd magnet, 3in dia. - but square frame and not round frame.

Dayton ND65-8

Bjorn,

The TABAQ I built had TB W3-881SIF drivers, and I was very happy with the performance, until one fell on it's side and the TB's magnet separated from the spider; tried to fix, but didn't align properly, so to the recycling and garbage the parts went. Anyways, I ordered a pair of Tymphany (VIFA) TC9FD18 and installed them, very good performance, somewhat better than the TB's.

Anyways, I will use the Tymphany's in another project, and I have a pair of Dayton ND65-8 2-1/2" drivers (see enclosed graphs/specs) that I would like to use in the TABAQ. In order to fit them, I will have to build a baffle face plate, as the current cutout is 3" in diameter, vs. 2" in diameter needed for the Dayton ND65-8. Besides that modification, should I do another mod to the cabinet? What is your take on using this driver, which might be better suited for a smaller enclosure?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• ND65-8_fr.pdf
    13.3 KB · Views: 171
  • ND65-8_imp.pdf
    64.8 KB · Views: 103
Hi guanbui

The ND has a rather low Fs, which is fine. There is no benefit making the cabinet smaller, which would influence the bass performance.

You could test the stuffing with 70 gram instead of 100 gram, as the Qts is lower than other drivers I have tested. I would expect a good bass performance with this driver in TABAQ.

I have not heard this driver, but from the plot you can see it is weak in the higher treble.

Hope this was usefull.

Regards
Bjørm

Bjorn,

Thanks...Yes, they are weak in the high treble and is something that can be noticed. I have a pair lying around and that's why I'm going to use them until I order better ones for the TABAQ. They are small, but surprisingly they are quite good for their size, but they are not cheap at US$20.00/ea.

Last night, I needed some sound outside for a small casual party/gathering of friends.

I had the idea of using my TPA3116D2 amp and my TABAQs.

I stacked the TABAQs on their sides, plugged them into the amp and mp3 player, and voila... a quick party / boominator speaker! Worked well enough and we had good music through the evening.

Attachments

• IMG_20150708_124144.jpg
    IMG_20150708_124144.jpg
    825.5 KB · Views: 1,122
I have finally got the wood for a Folded TABAQ. I've narrowed down the driver choice to 2. Could anyone help as to which one would be best.
Thanks!

Tang Band W3-532SQF 3" Full Range Speaker
Tang Band's W3-532SQF 3" speaker provides optimal performance when installed in full-range high fidelity speaker systems. Its PPM cone, Santoprene surround, truncated cast aluminum frame, and powerful ceramic motor are combined with an underhung copper-clad aluminum wire voice coil and polyimide former, guaranteeing superb performance. The W3-532SQF is ideally suited to single driver full-range applications and multiple speaker configurations such as line arrays.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Nominal Diameter 3"
Power Handling (RMS) 12 Watts
Power Handling (max) 25 Watts
Impedance 8 ohms
Frequency Response 100 to 20,000 Hz
Sensitivity 86 dB 1W/1m
Voice Coil Diameter 0.8"
Magnet Weight 4.2 oz.

THIELE-SMALL PARAMETERS
Resonant Frequency (Fs) 100 Hz
DC Resistance (Re) 6.6 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le) 0.08 mH
Mechanical Q (Qms) 4.37
Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 0.87
Total Q (Qts) 0.72
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) 0.05 ft.³
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms) 1.06 mm/N
BL Product (BL) 3.23 Tm
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms) 2g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax) 0.5 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd) 32 cm²

Product Details
Tang Band W3-881SJ 3" Cast Frame Neodymium Driver
This is an exceptional 3" driver featuring a PPM cone, rubber surround, cast aluminum frame, and self-shielded underhung neodymium motor. The small magnet size reduces harmful reflections behind the cone and makes installation in small enclosures much easier. This is an exceptional little driver, excelling at midrange and full-range applications.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
Nominal Diameter 3"
Power Handling (RMS) 15 Watts
Power Handling (max) 30 Watts
Impedance 8 ohms
Frequency Response 100 to 20,000 Hz
Sensitivity 86 dB 1W/1m
Voice Coil Diameter 0.75"
Magnet Weight 0.4 oz.

THIELE-SMALL PARAMETERS
Resonant Frequency (Fs) 100 Hz
DC Resistance (Re) 6.6 ohms
Mechanical Q (Qms) 3.07
Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 0.8
Total Q (Qts) 0.63
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) 0.078 ft.³
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms) 1.31 mm/N
BL Product (BL) 2.9 Tm
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms) 1.6g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax) 0.5 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd) 32 cm²

Both would seem to work well in TABAQs, but the first one has a truncated basket, usually made for mounting speakers closer in an array.

I like the second one with the neodymium magnet. Cleaner and lighter than the ferrite first one.

Since they are almost priced identically, go with the older proven one (W3-881SJ) or try the new one (W3-532SQF) and tell us how it sounds.

I have used a tymphany OEM 3.5 inch driver driven by ampcamp AMP and the sound is awesome. The driver is rated for 84db SPL.
As a newbie, my doubt is does the TABAQ MLTL increases the perceived sound pressure level? ( than specified in t/s para) .
If yes, is there a rule of thumb for the perceived increase?

Grand Son and Daughter TABAQ TL Build

Here are pictures of the TABAQ TL's I built for my Grand Children for Christmas. The pair on the left are my Grand Daughters, and the on the right are my Grand Son's. I sure hope they like them, as I got a listen with their M20 Muse amp that goes with them, and they sounded pretty good!

Mac:)

Attachments

• Picture 345.jpg
    Picture 345.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 977