Full Range Home Theater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:

Virtual Centre?

dave

Nah, been down that path too Dave. I figure that if someone has taken the trouble to craft a multi-channel soundtrack, the least I can do is attempt to listen to it as they intended. This has only been an option/obligation since the advent of discrete digital tracks, pro-logic I am more than happy to "phantom" (or ignore completely) the centre channel.

c

Bluerex said:
Thanks Scott, I probably should have mentioned laying it flat and mounting it below my plasma screen. The main goal I guess is something that is "harmonious" with the Mikasas both sonically and visually.

That's what I was assuming you would be doing & what I based my comments on. It's not going to work well. Sorry, don't want to go around stirring up apathy, but bluntly, the basic premise is flawed. You won't get what you're hoping for from it.

WRT phantom centre, you still are listening as they intended. The centre channel was designed to improve dialogue imaging for off-axis viewers, & very little else -worse, many DVDs etc aren't actually mixed particularly well / with as much thought as they perhaps deserve, and the blasted thing tends to dominate to the detriment of the front L+R channels. Not good.

Look, let me have a word with Dave & I'll get back to you.

center fill for stereo

Gentlemen,
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I don't know where else to go for the needed information.
My listening area is 24x36 ft. The speakers are Wharfedale 12CS-ALs 0n open baffles. The phantom center fill is better than my previous attempt to add another single 12CS-AL center speaker.
In order to expand the width of the sound stage, I'd like to separate the L & R speakers & add additional L & R on either side of the centered TV screen.
I realize I need to reduce the volumes to the two close-to-center speakers. Therein is the question:
How do I adjust that volume? Can the reduction in volume be fixed pads (i.e., -6dB)? Should I provide a separate stereo amp for the center speakers or just use remote speaker volume controls?
I'm sure this subject has been well covered before, so pointing me to the correct site would also be appreciated.
Thanks for any help you may provide,
Frank Dobias

Greets!

I imagine it has, but I don't recall it. Wire the two left speakers in parallel with a decent quality L-pad in series with the screen speaker. Ditto for the right channel. Biggest problem may be finding one of sufficient power handling. Adjust them to suit. Better to use a separate amp with gain controls to adjust volume.

Me, I'd use the CC with its adjustability and wire them in either parallel or series depending on which works best overall as well as toe them in such that the left one points at the far right seating position and vice versa, then fine tune them from there. RCA was using this concept with line arrays on each side of the cinema screen circa 1925. Worked pretty good for the folks not sitting down in front or in the balcony, so they began angling the drivers individually in an early attempt at controlled directivity which helped a bit, though the invention of the large multi-way horn systems firing through a perforated screen of course won out and why a properly designed/set up L-C-R speaker system is the way to go.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.