Makizou, I finally did it. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2006, 11:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Makizou, I finally did it.

Ok guys, I dug up the half-assed plans off of here and decided to try and build them. I had ordered a set of the Fostex FE87SE which, I can only assume are like the original FE87 model. These drivers sound so sweet! Like Butter! They only handle 5 watts but man do they make good use of it! I like them far better than the FE87E. Regardless. I decided to try and build something compact for them. This little horn rocks for it's size! Now, granted, I made a couple of small errors in the conversion to standard wood from metric, but, the sound is still great. They are not bass monsters but they are clean and balanced. They do reproduce surprisingly low notes for a 42cm tall box. I would even guess that I am hearing 50 Hz. For those of you that claim that horns don't work this small, I challange you to build a set and see if it is a horn or a T-Line. It definitely doesn't perform like a t-line. It acts every bit like a horn. Regardless, I am drawing up a set of plans (that are correct) and going to build them and see if it is even better. I can only hope so. I will post the plans when I do this. Hopefuly I won't violate any copyright laws with this.
This puts the sets of built speakers up to 7 now. The GF is starting to notice that there are speakers everywhere. hehe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg makizou.jpg (46.8 KB, 4774 views)
Old 9th June 2006, 06:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Tempest, sorry, only pic I have of this project. I built this little gem just before christmas. Drivers are FE87.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tempest1000pix.jpg (48.6 KB, 4133 views)
Old 9th June 2006, 09:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Makizou, I finally did it.

Nice one guys, both look pretty good to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Harderror
For those of you that claim that horns don't work this small, I challange you to build a set and see if it is a horn or a T-Line. It definitely doesn't perform like a t-line. It acts every bit like a horn.
It's a cascading set of 1/2 wave resonators, like most of the Fostex Factory designs on their site. So technically it cannot be classified as a horn. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't sound like one though. I still like the Fostex designs myself. This little thing looks ideal for an unusual pair of desktop speakers.
Old 11th September 2006, 11:09 AM   #4
gatesgt is offline gatesgt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Makizou FE87 horn

Guys, I am new to the forum and had a question. Where can I find the design plans for this horn? There are a couple of Japanese websites that inform it is a Nagoaka Tetsuo design. If it is, what book do I need to get it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th September 2006, 01:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The upper one (the D118 I believe) is definitely in one of his books, but which I'm not sure. Have a search and you should find some basic plans on the internet -enough to build it with anyway. I've just been looking at them, but since they are copyright to Mr. Nagaoka I can't post a link. You should find them easily though.

Scott
Old 11th September 2006, 01:44 PM   #6
Ioan is offline Ioan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Makizou plan

Here is the plan.
Attached Images
File Type: gif makizou.gif (19.3 KB, 3675 views)
Old 11th September 2006, 01:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default D-8BH or D-118?

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I think that top one is a D-8BH. From one of the Japanese websites anyway. I have searched for these plans high and low without any luck. Have you looked at the Nagoaka Tetsuo Book #5 yet? I am wondering if there are any promising designs in it for the FE-87SP from Madisound.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 11th September 2006, 01:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Makizou design

Thank you very much. Would you happen to know the width of the speaker?

Thanks again,
Greg
Old 11th September 2006, 03:13 PM   #9
Ioan is offline Ioan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Makizou width

You're welcome.

I have never seen the "official" width of this design, but looking at the proportions of the mouth, and applying the golden ratio, the
internal width should be something around 110 mm.

Ioan
Old 26th January 2007, 08:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Makizou M-8BH

I measured the drawing, which shows the cutout for the speaker. Assuming the cutout is round, and measure the picture dimensions, I get 120mm width for all the pieces that go between the walls of the box.

I have a pair of 70mm speakers from a set of Altec PC speakers - the T/S parameters are nearly identical to the FE87E. I'm going to start cutting the wood for these little horns on the weekend.

Here's some photos I found of the kit going together:
http://makizouphoto.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ito.html

Here's the company that makes the kits:
http://hb6.seikyou.ne.jp/home/makizou/

Here's a guy in Japan who built the kit:
http://www.atatan.com/~s-ito/sp/makizou.html

Eric.

Hide this!Advertise here!