Another CSS WR/FR design -- The Bipolar Bipoles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The 1st set was sold...he picked them up at the RAW fest. Opionions were 6 of one/half a dozen of the other. An attendee ordered a set of 4 (WR+tweeter). We shipped a Mk II version. At least 2 more pair have been built since then (not by us). It inspired Giovanni's sealed bipole FE127s.

pictures of the 1st sets... http://www.planet10-hifi.com/custom.html

teaser

hillman-collage.jpg

dave

This is an old thread but I think it's ok to raise it up again.

I currently have pair of FR125S's in 9l sealed enclosures and using them with NAD c320 amp. I also have Peerless sls10 in sealed box to assist them.

I don't have proper speaker stands so now they are dangerously sitting on top of my Cyburgs Needle enclosures. Instead of spending 100+ euros on stands I thought that maybe I should spend that money to another pair of FR125S's and try these bipolar bipoles. My drivers are currently unmodified and I've been thinking of EnABLing them.

My room isn't very big (~20 m^2) so i before starting anything, I would like to know how much space is needed between the speaker and the rear wall.

qusetion to Dave

Dave!
Is it possible to use 2 different kind of drivers in a bipole enclosure system?
I mean they could working phisicaly perfect together in the box volume, but for example one is a 2 way driver (with tweeter together) and the another is a Full range driver. Almost like in your configuration but with more different drivers.
How much would affect each other in the whole sounding?

Greets:
Tyimo

I'm not Dave, but for the first, yes, if you calculate the response & volume requirements appropriately. You'd probably want to low-pass the rear unit though above the baffle-step frequency (useful anyway IMO) otherwise the different characters / behaviour of the drive units might mess up the midband.

Forward & up-firing for a semi-omni conficuration is a decent combination if you like that sort of presentation -again best if the top driver is low-passed IMO.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave! Are you out there????

Has the Lowther Academy style driver arrangement (one driver front, another on the top) the same bipolar radiating benefit than yours?

Close. The microTower Castles are a good example (or things like Coniston or Lotus with side firing drivers)... i'll likely use the same tech in "superTys" so that i have more flexibility with XO point.

Is it possible to use 2 different kind of drivers in a bipole enclosure system?

Possible, but very tricky. Take a look at Thorsten's Afterburner for some idea of the considerations. Best to just use each driver in its own space, one has to take mind of any differences in the bass rolloff.

dave

I've been watching for quite some time and I finally have some time on my hands. I would love to try this on for size, It's been about 15 years since my last speaker project ( maybe more ). I have been sitting on 2 FR125 and 2 WR125 for many years now.

My obvious question: can I get away with using an FR-WR pair ? Front face the FR's and let the WR's reflect. If not I will look into getting a super tweeter and would welcome a recommendation. ( I have the time because work is bad so money is in short supply here - Hint, hint )

Did you ever get to wider baffle dimensions ? The pictures still look like square edged but they appear wider than the posted plans ? In short does the 10/31/2005 plan reflect the final recommended dimensions ?

I have a decent wood shop and have ,by luck, a small CNC machine (Roland PC-3000 ) that I have made a tool path to cut the front/back for the 125's. I was hoping to spend a little time and come out with something nice for the great room with money already spent for the most part.

I recently replaced the drivers in my old Polk SRS CRS+ compacts and got the bug to try something different and hopefully high quality.

Attachments

• fr125cutout.jpg
    fr125cutout.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 185
Several years ago I developed a bipolar mass loaded transmission line speaker design which used the full range(FR) and wide range(WR) 125S drivers. This is a small floor standing tower speaker. Listeners had a favorable impression of it. The link to the box design is apparently broken but contact me if you have a interest and I'll try to assist. Some links are:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/87156-exciting-project-css-fr125s.html

SingleDriverSpeakers Forum - GPAF Treasure - FredT, May 25, 2006 at 12:00:17

SingleDriverSpeakers Forum - FredT -MLTL Bipole speaker impressions - Shane, June 26, 2006 at 20:53:32

I later added a rear tweeter to this design and it won the Midwest Audiofest DIY speaker budget class in 2010.

Jim

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Oneof the originalimpetus for thebipolar-bipoles was tobeabletocompare WR125 with supertweeter (small audax from ApexJr in a waveguide the thickness of the panels, and the FR125, so we had one on one side and te other on the other. You could likely get away without the tweeter.

Since that design we had more experience. Sealed, so the shape has little or no effect on the bass alignment. The original was 20 litres (10/per driver), but i'd now reduce that to 7 litres or a bit less. Also if you increase the width compared to the depth you get less bipole dip (and it decreases in frequency. One can also roll off the back driver below the dip. Note: the dip decreases as you move off axis until dissappearing when the drivers are side firing (from your pov)

dave

Thanks for the replies

but I'd now reduce that to 7 liters or a bit less

7 per driver for a total of 14 (or less) is what you mean here ?

Jim -- I found your original plans in my archive of notes after this post ( Like a squirrel with lost nuts ). In light of your reply it seems like adding the tweeter is the better end result. What did you use ? Same as Dave suggests or different ? and filter specs.

Dave just made it harder to decide since 14L can get me into very good WAF territory :)

Thanks again!

mwk6411,

I used the HiVi RT1.3 planar tweeter as my rear mounted super tweeter on my bipolar MLTL design. It adds ambient reverb to the sound field. For a particular room or venue you likely would adjust the radiation level of the tweeter or vary the placement in the room for best results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.