Another CSS WR/FR design -- The Bipolar Bipoles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my rudeness

Soongsc & Tom

sorry if my post #26 sounded a bit ****y - I've just had too recent occurances of the objectivist argument; I tend to trust my ears / emotional reaction, and don't particularly much care what the measurements reveal (or don't)

Within the next week or so I pland to modify the original plywood design mules by routing out the back of the compression chamber, and adding spacers and a new back panel.

Tom, not all BLH have a shallow CC with flat/parallel back wall (yours for example) In fact the only pair that I've personally built other than the MKII Buschorn is the Fostex recommened horn, and as we've noted previously, it has some serious coloration issues.

Re: my rudeness

chrisb said:
Soongsc & Tom

sorry if my post #26 sounded a bit ****y - I've just had too recent occurances of the objectivist argument; I tend to trust my ears / emotional reaction, and don't particularly much care what the measurements reveal (or don't)

Within the next week or so I pland to modify the original plywood design mules by routing out the back of the compression chamber, and adding spacers and a new back panel.

Tom, not all BLH have a shallow CC with flat/parallel back wall (yours for example) In fact the only pair that I've personally built other than the MKII Buschorn is the Fostex recommened horn, and as we've noted previously, it has some serious coloration issues.

As designers, we all feel that way once in a while. I find that my hears sort of adapt too quickly some times that I find it more interesting in relating test data with what I hear. Which I find very interesting results indeed.

planet10 said:
Just went into the CAD drawing. Current compression chamber is 329 in^2 less driver volume.

3/4" deeper will add 70.5 in^2, less ~ 20 in^3 of driver and we are at ~380 in^2

:)

dave

Don't know why I calculated 3L the first time, but this looks about right. Still think closer to 7L would be better. A wool padding around 1cm thick opposite to the baffle site would help quite significantly too. But I think you already tried that, right?

planet10 said:
Every time out they seem to be getting better.

We have just fired up what on early listening seems to be the best FR/WR design we've done yet. We call them the Bipolar-Bipoles. About 25 litres sealed, FR125 on one side, WR125+ApexJr T (1.8 uF cap on the other). Intended to give us both trials of a sealed bipole, and to compare the FR125 to the WR125 + simple super tweeter. With the terminals in the base, it is completely reversable cosmetically. At about a metre high, and 6" wide they are quite compact, and according to the lady of the house "cute". Intention is to build future ones with solid wood front & back.

Initial impressions --The WR125 side has more extended top & better dispersion but the FR side perhaps a bit better image stage. Really, really close thou & much more listening required. One thing that is notable is that the little single ended tube amps aren't choking on this one (limited on volume & the bass isn't as tight as with the PP or SS, but nicer in the mids at low volume). I have posted this design in the box design library.

dave

any further impressions on this design?

I've been into building amps for a while now, and this seems like an easy first foray into diy speakers. so I'm curious what you think several weeks later.

thanks!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We really like them. A good sign is always whether a prototype gets finished... these now have nice veneer on them (i'll see if i can get some pics).

You won't go wrong with either the WR+tweeter (even the modest ApexJr), or the FR or a combo.

There will likely be one more round of tweaking on this design -- ie a 7" wide baffle to make room for a bit of round-over or 45 at the baffle edges (and coincidently would make the cabinet compatible with RAWs HT-2 MTM) and to let us reduce the height a bit more.

If you can feed the terminals out the back you can go with no base (or a shorter one) which would bring the driver down a bit making it more compatible with most people's listening height (or just move the driver down in the cab -- we went with jammed up to the top to make playing with pod mounted tweeters easier).

dave

I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying them. A wider baffle would be nice, too. I made the mistake of showing my wife Moth Audio's Cicada, and now that's just about the only design she'll let me put in the living room. So in an effort to marry the two designs, I've been trying to figure out how to get a 3/4" round-over on that narrow baffle... unfortunately, it would probably end up looking more like a pole than anything else.

Not having yet heard the fr125, I'm leaning towards using the wr125 with a ribbon tweeter--although that would sacrifice any attempt to duplicate the simple elegance of the Cicada.

One question I have about your bipole design: is there a brace between the two drivers, that is, wedged between the magnets? I don't see that on the plans you drew up, but from a comment in one of these threads, that seemed to be the case.

Thanks!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mholz said:
I've been trying to figure out how to get a 3/4" round-over on that narrow baffle... unfortunately, it would probably end up looking more like a pole than anything else.

With the 7" baffle and a 3/4" roundover the front would look a lot like RAW's HT3. (see attached)

Not having yet heard the fr125, I'm leaning towards using the wr125 with a ribbon tweeter--although that would sacrifice any attempt to duplicate the simple elegance of the Cicada.

A true ribbon seems overkill for use as a super-tweeter (how we do it), but for a full 2-way they are suberb). ABS has a well worked out design of the WR + 3/4" Vifa DX19 tweeter (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=693823#post693823)

One question I have about your bipole design: is there a brace between the two drivers, that is, wedged between the magnets? I don't see that on the plans you drew up, but from a comment in one of these threads, that seemed to be the case.

Yes... it is shown in the drawing.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.