Another CSS WR/FR design -- The Bipolar Bipoles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• ht3-comp.jpg
    ht3-comp.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 760
I've been considering a ML TQWT bipole for a while. I'm wondering how this design compares. The main question I have is how low it goes. My models have the two FR125S's going to the mid-40s with ~93 dB sensitivity. But, they are quite a bit larger.

Have you had a chance to compare the sound of this design to a TL based design? If so, I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Paul Ebert

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Paul Ebert said:
Have you had a chance to compare the sound of this design to a TL based design?

Yes. Trying to exract maximum bass out of these tends to get you way too much bass. All the ML-TLs we have made tended to need to have the bass throttled back, and lead us to this design. Peter made the same comment about his ML-TQWTs,, having to stuff the ports a bit,

dave

planet10 said:

Yes. Trying to exract maximum bass out of these tends to get you way too much bass. All the ML-TLs we have made tended to need to have the bass throttled back, and lead us to this design. Peter made the same comment about his ML-TQWTs,, having to stuff the ports a bit,

dave

OK. So, how low will the sealed bipoles go? Do you have a measurement or value from a model?

Thanks.

Paul

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Paul Ebert said:
OK. So, how low will the sealed bipoles go? Do you have a measurement or value from a model?

I haven't gotten them over here to put them on FuzzMeasure yet, so i can only guess. The comments still come that these have amazing bass (just not too much, better controlled with a benefit to the midrange). I'd guess 65-75 Hz F3, 35-40 Hz F10.

The sims (based on my measurements) would suggest F3 of 85, and F10 of 45 Hz, but given the range of T/S i've seen depending on drive levels, i don't know how closely i'd take that to heart.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/sealed.html

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tubesguy said:
Any progress on the kits yet? I'm feeling a desperate need for a little Xmas gift to myself. TIA -

Pat,

No progress on a kit -- you are the 1st to really express an interest.

We can make one for you thou. Being only the 2nd pair & as a flatpack you might find the need to tweak a few of the pieces on assembly.

The main reason we haven't gone forward is that we want to tweak the shape just a bit. Slightly wider (to accomodate a round over/bevel on the front) deeper (to keep the golden ratio) and a bit shorter (driver height is just a bit higher than we'd like, and if possible i'd like the option of a bit of sand ballast at the bottom)

The current ones -- have i posted a finished pic? -- are of course up for grabs (but shipping across the continent would add a bit). They would be the only ones we'd be able to get out before Xmas as we have some customer miniOnkens, a set of bipolar floorstanding miniOnken's, and a set of FE127 monopoles in the queue.

We do have the FR125 programmed into the CNC, so baffles should come out perfect every time now.

dave

Shoot, Dave, I had no idea that you guys were actually in the business of construction to order already.

You do have a pic of the finished bipoles up, and they look terrific. You're probably right, though, about the shipping being non-cost-effective.

On the other hand, how much could a pair of the mini-Onks weigh, eh?

I've just got to do something about the proliferation of unmounted drivers that I have around here, including, of course, several from you. :) - Pat

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tubesguy said:
I had no idea that you guys were actually in the business of construction to order already.

Bespoke orders so far, and part of the idea of the Bipolar Bipoles was to get something where assembly was not that hard (still not just a 6-sided box thou)

You do have a pic of the finished bipoles up, and they look terrific. You're probably right, though, about the shipping being non-cost-effective.

I could get an estimate together. The drivers are probably as heavy as the boxes (i really like the 1/2' BB), but size/volume also plays a role in shipping costs.

On the other hand, how much could a pair of the mini-Onks weigh, eh?

14 kg with drivers... drivers are just over a kilo each. Estimate of just shy of $60 with drivers, a tiny bit less without. (A single Bipolar Bipole would be about the same, the total weight needs to be below 30 kg -- ie pair together -- for the "cheap" shipping, if the pair could be packaged up under 30 kg it should be just over $100 post)

The miniOs will likely never be a flat-pack as their assembly is fairly fiddly and they need to have their front edged run thru the table-saw after assembly.

I've just got to do something about the proliferation of unmounted drivers that I have around here, including, of course, several from you

Just let me know what you need & we'll see if we can help. :)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.