Full Range Build, 12" driver...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MCM had some Fane 12 cheap - someone quick could have had them for $24 each (with 10% coupon) and shipped free for order over $100 - I have no room - two per side would have been fun open baffle - dunno if one per side OB would energize enough air (?) - 4 per side would have made noise.

they still have some other stuff including Faital tractrix horn 1" and 1.4" format, Fane 56oz magnet 10 and Faital 10 (real cheap), cast frame Gradient wideband 6 and 8 (for $10 each - would work in Karlsonator 6 and 8) - smoother I think than the whizzer cone AX08

click tester booms like hell on Klipschorn (I think)

Last edited:
one or two 250 more came - then sold - if you look/act quick - I think there may be k12h100tc at MCM's closeout - rated 1mm xmax 1.75" diameter coil - nice response curve - more like 12lta on top

- well those went fast - keep checking back - it seems like stock trickles back into their sale

Last edited:
I've been working on the helper woofer section first, so not much progress here yet, but one 18" helper woofer is up and running in a large ~10cf prototype cabinet.

Now I've started the prototype box for one of the full range drivers. The volume was going to be around 6 cf sealed (if I'm recalling correctly from memory), but we had talked about going smaller and trying an aperiodic design. I settled on 3.75 cf (~100 L) sealed to try first, with the plan for the rear baffle to be removable and it could be "holed" to try aperiodic as well. I went much smaller on volume as it didn't seem to hurt the graph much, and was hard to tell the difference after a highpass filter was applied around 150 hz (where my xo will be). So, smaller being more manageable (as compared to the monster woofer cabinet anyway), will hopefully be as good. One again, the published hole dia to cut was overstated by like .19", so I hope I have room for my hurricane nut holes - that's rather frustrating, I should have done a test in cardboard first, but was in a rush. Pics to come...

Should I do anything to the drivers, or try them as-is first? I was thinking of just adding some insulation to the basket spokes, and some putty and insulation around the magnet. Nothing irreversible.

Last edited:
Unless open baffle is 2' deep (and crossing at 150hz) i wouldn't bother.
But, maybe a 2' cube with an open back is an option.
I had luck with that cube with 4 x 4" tang band bamboo.
Just stick some foam behind driver.

This is coming from the guy that had a philips 12" full range driver in a phy open baffle (2' deep), no bass, not much midbass, but that fane will do better with twice the measured qts.

Last edited:
Hmm. Well I can try it open baffle with just the baffle I've already cut for the actual sealed box. But I wouldn't expect much, its probably too small - 18" wide x 24" tall. And it would only be... maybe 18-22" off the wall.

I'm after some heavy bass and midbass from it... it's got to sing with authority from ~150 hz on up.
It's got to keep up with the 18" woofer :)

Last edited:
Open baffle with the Fane is.. interesting. It certainly is very open and the speaker blends (acoustically anyway) into the room. It's also noticeably more even in volume as I move around my downstairs (circular floor plan, so it's not all that much area to cover anyway).

But, the midbass just isn't there. Even with the bass knob cranked on the receiver, and/or the low end propped up on the EQ, it just doesn't have much midbass.

I'm eager to get it into a box to hear it. Hopefully find some time in the next few days to finish gluing and screwing the first test box together. :)

Yeah, a baffle this small is only going to load down to ~350-500 Hz depending on location when not up against a hard wall, corner before rolling off at ~6 dB/octave and even then the mid-bass won't be prominent except with very high Qt drivers.

GM

Testing as open baffle with small baffle (actual box front baffle)

So it may not be a fair test, since the baffle is too small.
Thanks GM.

Attachments

• Resized_20171114_142352.jpeg
    Resized_20171114_142352.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 373
- had what was decent bass with a 2'x3' baffle and SN15C P-audio coax (bottom of baffle against floor) - taut and could take "car bass" cds. I had 12LTA up high on a 4'x2' U baffle with 21" helper woofer - 12LTA alone could not do much plus didn't not like the cheap Madison 21 but didn't have the best electronic crossover. It did not sound good on classical cello so I junked it.

Ah, see there's another fellow who appreciate's some cone area! :)
Mine will look very similar, except the 18" woofer and 12" full range.

I had seriously considered trying that 15" Fane FR, but it wasn't for sale yet and I thought I'd be further along on all this by now... Imagination vs. reality, being what it is.

Still looking into the DCX2496 for crossover, time delay, and digital EQ duties. I thought it had an auto EQ feature, but apparently it's only an auto delay. The PEQ2496 is more of an equalizer and has no xo, but it does have auto EQ feature. With the addition of a mic in both cases. It would really be nice to have it auto EQ and auto time align... mostly since I'm as short on time as ever and may have underestimated the amount of work it's going to take to get this all set up right :)

Do you have a 10 band eq laying around ?
If not pawn shops usually have them around $30.

Run 12 and 18 in parallel and eq it so it sounds best to you.

My buddy swore you need dual 12's a side (3 way).
And i think he was thinking klipsch crossover points (600-800).

That puts us back to bunch of cone area for slam.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.