Love the sound of a fullranger but I like Hard Rock!! What to do !?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are some general descriptions of systems that should address your requirements
1. Eminence beta 12lta with super tweeter in a largish bass reflex cabinet
2. I can't speak for the karlsonator 12. I've built a few classic karlsons in my time and I like them for midbass. They have a particular reverb character in the midrange that you may / may not like. If you want to go this route, try a small karlson first, but I don't recommend them for a beginner . OTOH, Karlsons have amazing off axis response
3. Your choice of FAST systems. The larger drivers tend to beam so don't automatically assume that larger drivers are better.
4. Build a 2 way line array with cheap 4" drivers and a single tweeter or a tweeter line . Using 4" drivers allows you to cross over higher than 5-6 KHz and use cheaper tweeters . Supplement the array with a high efficiency subwoofer. This approach will give you the additional benefits if a wide sweetspot and a huge wave front launch, just the type of stuff that makes rock special . Think - wall of sound. This is also killer for home theater
5. Not really a full range based system but an 8" econowave based system with a sub also gives you a wide sweet spot. Directivity is highly under rated, because most people don't understand it and hiding manufacturers can't market it

1. But...
12lta don't do 'slam'....... small motor, weighty cone etc etc.

2. Yeah, I'm a n00b when it comes to building speakers. But my friend is very experienced. May be he can build it for me.

3. Beam ?
Can you elaborate ?

4. Thats a wonderful idea.

5. Econowave !
let me google it !!!!

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it :)

I have today birthday and I get Fostex FF105WK bassreflex box kit. I will build it and writte about it here. I love metal music and hope it will work. Will see if I will need subwoofer. I have it as near field monitors to PC in office.
Kit Fostex FF105WK
Happy Birthday to you :)

Thanks man !
It would be awesome :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I get Fostex FF105WK bassreflex box kit

FF105wk is a very nice driver. We have ours in Vampyr-V. This enclosure probably gets the most bass from this little driver. Your little reflex may be a bit shy on bass depth and level toplay metal at louder volumes.

vampyr-V-diyFEST10.jpg

dave

Ok, in all my years in this hobby, I haven't listened to every driver. That said, I've heard and built most popular (and some obscure ) designs

Firstly, Single driver Back loaded horns ( unless large) are not the best for listening to rock music. What I like about single drivers is their coherence across the midrange (and treble to some extent). This range is about 200 to 6000 Hz. If you can cover this (or at least till 3000 KHz) , you can get away with using other drivers to help out in the bass and treble.

Secondly, there are, broadly speaking, at least two kinds of good sounding systems. One that is ruthlessly accurate and revealing - and another that is forgiving and makes a variety of music sound good. If you listen to a variety of rock music, consider the 2nd type of system.

Lastly, many single driver systems are mid to high efficiency., and by that account, dynamic sounding. I've build flugelhorns in the past and personally, while they are dynamic sounding, personally, I find them just "ok". What you really want is something that is dynamic and has some slam.
But, what about the crossovers ?
Do you think a digital crossover is better than an electronic one ?

I also have some electronic music (Armin va Buuren, Paul van Dyk etc) and would that second type system sound too smooth for it ?
TBH, I like a slightly bright, revealing sound from my speakers

Yeah, I like the 12lta.

It's so big it's like a planar speaker. But it needs help in the bass and treble which may not suit some. Did I mention it's big?

Every speaker I've heard sometimes sounds contested at volume. The OP may be enamored by the back horn sound?

Do all FAST systems employ a sealed full range driver?

Happy birthday NuClear!
Huge speakers might not be a great idea. My parents are a bit conservative and there is a big chance that I might get married this year. I don't think she'll like it :(

But, if I can "hide" it somewhere...it might work:eek:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Doesn't the current Rock music records overwhelm it?

The FF85wk by itself is limited in bass extention and how loud it can play. Mate it with helper woofer(s) and it becomes very capable with all types of music.

A prototype of this FAST stunned at lot of people at the 2013 VI diyFEST. It is uFonkenSET with a twin Peerless 830870 in a Woden designed ML-TL as stands. PLLXO at 240 Hz. So you can start with the satelittes and add bass later yet retain the tiny footprint.

uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

I just got back from Bernie a devlopment of this concept that doubles the number of woofers (in an ML-Voigt -- no pictures yet). They are gorgeous, 15mm ply with 12 mm solid yew veneer.

dave

The FF85wk by itself is limited in bass extention and how loud it can play. Mate it with helper woofer(s) and it becomes very capable with all types of music.

A prototype of this FAST stunned at lot of people at the 2013 VI diyFEST. It is uFonkenSET with a twin Peerless 830870 in a Woden designed ML-TL as stands. PLLXO at 240 Hz. So you can start with the satelittes and add bass later yet retain the tiny footprint.

I just got back from Bernie a devlopment of this concept that doubles the number of woofers (no pictures yet). They ar egorgeous, 15mm ply with 12 mm solid yew veneer.

dave
That looks awesome !!
:cool:

But a helper woofer means crossovers ?
Does it affect it ?
Can you share the deign here or is it a commercial one ?

FF105wk is a very nice driver. We have ours in Vampyr-V. This enclosure probably gets the most bass from this little driver. Your little reflex may be a bit shy on bass depth and level toplay metal at louder volumes.

dave
Is it possible to deign a transmission line which gives emphasis to high frequencies and use a helper woofer to fill in the low frequency part ?

@sippy
Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do you think a digital crossover is better than an electronic one ?

By electronic you mean analog?

It comes down to execution and what the kit around it is.

Digital are most often more versatile. But best used with digital source directly into them.

Welike designing speakers to work within the limitations of PLLXO. They have only a half dozen passive parts for stereo 2-way.

dave

By electronic you mean analog?

It comes down to execution and what the kit around it is.

Digital are most often more versatile. But best used with digital source directly into them.

Welike designing speakers to work within the limitations of PLLXO. They have only a half dozen passive parts for stereo 2-way.

dave
Yeah, analog !
My PC's sound card have a configurable sub-out. (max is 120hz IIRC) Can I use it ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But a helper woofer means crossovers ?
Does it affect it ?

Yes, one way or another. Yes, but it is quite low where one can eliminate many of the evils of cross-overs. Easiest to do if you biamp.

Can you share the deign here or is it a commercial one ?

There are a zillion options for FAST. Quite a few examples in the forums. The design pictured in Post #44 is commercial, but the plans are cheap. (the plans for the BigVent ML-Voigt in Post #42 also cost http://wodendesign.com/Vampyr-V.html)

vampyr-V-c-3d.gif

Is it possible to deign a transmission line which gives emphasis to high frequencies and use a helper woofer to fill in the low frequency part ?

The box you put the speaker in is intended to modify the response at the low end of its range. Higher up you work hard to have the box not affect the response.

dave

I am using B&C 10PS26 10 inch pro-drivers in BIBs with a Faital Pro 3 inch FL driver in a "FAST" system. Passive 6 dB/octave filters.

It sounds very powerful, clean and dynamic. Meshugga is a real treat on this system.
I can run my QSC RMX1450 to near clipping without any bad sound from the speakers, but the music can be heard several blocks away and everything in my house is pulsating with the very powerful bass.

The sound is very physical with a natural timbre to large instruments.

The best property is that similar to many large hornspeakers, it does not change character when turning down the volume. The bass is very effortless, clean and dynamic even at very low volume. Perfect for late night listening when my kids are sleeping.

maybe there's an inexpensive fullrange which would work on a midrange horn Zobsky - that, a horn tweeter and a diy Klipsch Belle type woofer with "type A" (or AA) Klipsch style crossover would not be too shabby and should be good with AC/DC, Motorhead type stuff. A Belle woofer cabinet would only be 30"x24"x18" deep and not use much more than one 4'x8' sheet of plywood and one 15" woofer. Add a 2.5mH inductor typically for woofer, 12 or so uF with autoformer or larger cap without it as the cone midrange may not need much attenuation, cap plus coil for tweeter horn and it should rock. If I listened to those genre then I'd throw together such a system with stuff in my pile. Btw - the Karlson's won't artifact noticeably with some drivers - Fane's double whizzer 12" fullrange is good but its qts is high. It would make a nice open baffle system and does not need a helper tweeter.

I'll have to dig out a 250Hz tractrix and see how a CHN70 fares vs LE5

Sreten knows a lot so his suggestions should be excellent for a lower sensitivity route.

Happy Birthday NuClear235

Good to hear. I'm on my own "belle"ish journey myself - lucked out on some kappa 15 but bad weather here so can't cut plywood outside for at least another week or two

Altec 511 - if one can land a K55, sound pretty good - let it ring - piles of mortite on the main body of the horn sound like ring plus soggy crud - sounds "weird" - some mortite on the lips is ok - lead shot on the upper lip would work - I tried little pieces of car damping material kinda like eNaBle but that had no great effect upon the cowbell nature of 511 -- there were some buyout heavy magnet Selenium phenolic compression drivers at Partsexpress a a few months ago but I've not tested mine to see if they can reach 500. hard rock is something usually played at a level where its just about "felt" - not good to listen real loud for a long period but can be fun for a song or so as long as the material isn't too compressed. (who has a good de-clipper? - how about something that emulates a DBX 3BX?)

those FAST cabinets are beautiful !

So, I'm wondering if there are any full range speaker designs out there which goes with "loud"ish rock music ?

BTW, here are some of my thoughts regarding speakers.

1. I play my Magnat Monitor speakers (92 db) at around 40% volume using the AS500 (85W @8ohm. ~110W @4ohm).
2. I l have a lot of "heavy" type of music.
3. Off axis response should be good
4. A flat frequency response would be great but TBH, I like a slightly bright, in your face kind of sound signature.
5. I might get a class A amp with low power output...so it would be great if has good sensitivity.
6. I'm not good in building stuff but thankfully, Bibin has agreed to help me out in this matter.:D

I think we need to nail down "loud"ish.

Because (in a sentence) if you do crank it, then you'll need some sort of multi driver system:

A) bass 'fulranger' with top end help
B) top end 'fulranger' with bass help

If you don't crank it then you may be able to squeak enough low distortion bass out of a true fullrange.

[And I of course mean this is the utmostly general, not-bashing-yer-fullrange, non-flaming way possible ... ]

So, I think we need:

1) room size, shape, situation (speaker posit, entranceways etc ..)
2) some sort of spl measurement (1V/1m; or list position; ...)

Do you have a suitable mic? Err, sorry to foist a job on you ... :eek:

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited:
There's a zillion ways to do this. At some point a choice needs to be made. One good choice would be to take sreten's SLS woofer in a sealed or vented box, and cross it to an FF85 or FF105 at the baffle step, say 300hz or so. I'd suggest a short stuffed TL load for the FF, and a series crossover, or PLLXO. The crossover alone will give you plenty to tweak... This would be a pretty good compromise between high resolution and rocking ability.

If you must use a lower crossover and sub out, go with the FF105 in a met, to give you some support in the low mids / upper bass.

BIBen.jpg

At the moment I am driving my BIB with a single end 3 watt transconductance Triadtron amp.

Yes the bass is almighty powerful. I don't need a dedicated sub. I have a pretty decent response down to about 27 Hz and i can hear stuff in my house rattling at 22 Hz.

I have run 500 watt of bass (bridged QSC RMX1450) low-passed at 80 Hz into one of these, and it was painfully loud. The bass was clean, very big lifelike and dynamic. My whole house pulsates with the music and paintings jumped down from the walls.

They are 31 x 46 x 182 cm. Everything is built of 18 mm plywood and the baffle is two layers for a total of 36 mm.
The Faital Pro is 3FE20 (older version of 3FE22 with Nd magnets)

Cheer SPL is not everything, and I would not keep them despite my wifes protests if they did not deliver. I have built a large MLTL with Beyma 12P80Nd, but they don't come close. They sound so dull and lifeless compared to my BIBs that i have not found the time to build a stereo pair yet.

I do have two BIBs though, and i will keep them.

I can't really imagine building another pair of speaker for bass in any foreseeable future.

Build BIBs!

Cheers,
Johannes

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.