Love the sound of a fullranger but I like Hard Rock!! What to do !?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm back :)
Yes, one way or another. Yes, but it is quite low where one can eliminate many of the evils of cross-overs. Easiest to do if you biamp.

There are a zillion options for FAST. Quite a few examples in the forums. The design pictured in Post #44 is commercial, but the plans are cheap. (the plans for the BigVent ML-Voigt in Post #42 also cost Woden Design | Vampyr-V)

The box you put the speaker in is intended to modify the response at the low end of its range. Higher up you work hard to have the box not affect the response.

dave
But, in that website, they saying that its made for Accoustic music and have a frequency response of 80 hz to 20 khz

Sure. Usually a bit low for a FAST. Is it stereo?

dave
No, its not.

BTW, the highest it can go is 250Hz not 120 as I thought.
Also, its an entry level soundcard, Asus Xonar DX, not sure if its capable enough to do any justice to my speakers.

I am using B&C 10PS26 10 inch pro-drivers in BIBs with a Faital Pro 3 inch FL driver in a "FAST" system. Passive 6 dB/octave filters.

It sounds very powerful, clean and dynamic. Meshugga is a real treat on this system.
I can run my QSC RMX1450 to near clipping without any bad sound from the speakers, but the music can be heard several blocks away and everything in my house is pulsating with the very powerful bass.

The sound is very physical with a natural timbre to large instruments.

The best property is that similar to many large hornspeakers, it does not change character when turning down the volume. The bass is very effortless, clean and dynamic even at very low volume. Perfect for late night listening when my kids are sleeping.
Very cool !

Thats what I was looking for !!:D

I think we need to nail down "loud"ish.

Because (in a sentence) if you do crank it, then you'll need some sort of multi driver system:

A) bass 'fulranger' with top end help
B) top end 'fulranger' with bass help

If you don't crank it then you may be able to squeak enough low distortion bass out of a true fullrange.

[And I of course mean this is the utmostly general, not-bashing-yer-fullrange, non-flaming way possible ... ]

So, I think we need:

1) room size, shape, situation (speaker posit, entranceways etc ..)
2) some sort of spl measurement (1V/1m; or list position; ...)

Do you have a suitable mic? Err, sorry to foist a job on you ... :eek:

Cheers,
Jeff
OK !
1. How loud ?
My current speaker sensitivity: 92 db
Amp volume: 40%, means 90*40/100= ~36W
Max SPL I listen= 110 db (?)

2. I think a fullranger with help on the bottom end should work provided the driver has good "top end sparkle" ?

3. Shape of my computer room:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

4. I don't have any SPL meter with me right now but may I can borrow it from someone !!

Last edited:
There's a zillion ways to do this. At some point a choice needs to be made. One good choice would be to take sreten's SLS woofer in a sealed or vented box, and cross it to an FF85 or FF105 at the baffle step, say 300hz or so. I'd suggest a short stuffed TL load for the FF, and a series crossover, or PLLXO. The crossover alone will give you plenty to tweak... This would be a pretty good compromise between high resolution and rocking ability.

If you must use a lower crossover and sub out, go with the FF105 in a met, to give you some support in the low mids / upper bass.

View attachment 468744

At the moment I am driving my BIB with a single end 3 watt transconductance Triadtron amp.

Yes the bass is almighty powerful. I don't need a dedicated sub. I have a pretty decent response down to about 27 Hz and i can hear stuff in my house rattling at 22 Hz.

I have run 500 watt of bass (bridged QSC RMX1450) low-passed at 80 Hz into one of these, and it was painfully loud. The bass was clean, very big lifelike and dynamic. My whole house pulsates with the music and paintings jumped down from the walls.

They are 31 x 46 x 182 cm. Everything is built of 18 mm plywood and the baffle is two layers for a total of 36 mm.
The Faital Pro is 3FE20 (older version of 3FE22 with Nd magnets)

Cheer SPL is not everything, and I would not keep them despite my wifes protests if they did not deliver. I have built a large MLTL with Beyma 12P80Nd, but they don't come close. They sound so dull and lifeless compared to my BIBs that i have not found the time to build a stereo pair yet.

I do have two BIBs though, and i will keep them.

I can't really imagine building another pair of speaker for bass in any foreseeable future.

Build BIBs!

Cheers,
Johannes

:superman:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm back :)
But, in that website, they saying that its made for Accoustic music and have a frequency response of 80 hz to 20 khz

That is actually about what you get with FE103 in that box. FF105 goes quite a bit lower.

No, its not.

Not stereo means you do not want to try to use it much higher than 120 Hz. Many would say keep it lower than that.

dave

I'd be inclined towards the THX standard of 80Hz for mono bass

For SPL meters, if you have a smart phone, there are dozens of apps that range from rudimentary SPL to very sophisticated audio tools - the latter using calibrated external mics. I think you'll be surprised just how loud 110dB is, or the long term effects of prolonged exposure

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/#loud.

That is actually about what you get with FE103 in that box. FF105 goes quite a bit lower.

Not stereo means you do not want to try to use it much higher than 120 Hz. Many would say keep it lower than that.

dave
Cool !
So, if I add a transmissionline or a horn loaded sub using a crossover for 300hz and below, it should work, right ?

Oh, ok !
So, I'm ruling out that solution.
I'd be inclined towards the THX standard of 80Hz for mono bass

For SPL meters, if you have a smart phone, there are dozens of apps that range from rudimentary SPL to very sophisticated audio tools - the latter using calibrated external mics. I think you'll be surprised just how loud 110dB is, or the long term effects of prolonged exposure

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/#loud.
I just used a calculator from a website to find it out using the sensitivity of my speakers and amp power.
May be the my estimations are incorrrect as I know 110 db is very very loud.

The room is so open with lots of windows and doors. And there's no proper corners for BIB. It's a very difficult space for home audio.

Maybe you need a pair of speakers which are capable of playing outdoor. Also taking care of the listening position 2.
Yes, it CAN be an open room but apart from the staircase, the doors and windows remain closed most of the time.
But, you are right about corner loading, there are no suitable space for that.

Right now, I think I can use my current speakers for the SPL duties as they can go very loud and use the upcoming fullranger for proper music listening.
My amp does have an A, B speaker selector so that I can change the speakers in an instant.

So, let me sort of summarize the "latest" goals and decisions now.

1. If there is any compromise to be made on the SQ to play loud for a fullrange design, I'm OK to use my current speakers for SPL duties while the upcoming speaker just for serious music listening.
BTW, I love treble and top end details.:p

2. A FAST with a not so big dimensions would be ideal. (Dimensions -W:300, H:1500mm, D:500 mm max)

3.My soundcard doesn't support stereo sub out. So, I shouldn't use it for music ?

4. My room is oddly shaped so many loud speaker designs won't work.

5. I'm still confused on what type of a fullarange enclosure design to go for and which driver.:eek:
There are a lot of pending work in my company and the pressure is slowly getting to my head now, can't concentrate on other things unfortunately :(

So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just found this thread and I also like LOUD rock. I recently moved 1200 miles and due to the cost of moving / storage / moving again, some of my stuff got sold or given away. In the next few months I will be putting what remains back together, and building some new stuff.

Back in Florida I had four systems. The one that saw the most use did rock very well, but did not do loud. It is a pair of Yamaha NS-10M Studio Monitors with a budget sub for help below 80Hz. This was actually used in a recording/playback setup, and worked well for that purpose. It will be reassembled in pretty much the same configuration for studio, mixing, and mastering purposes.

I have a pair of FH3's and they sound very nice and detailed, don't hit the dynamics as well as the Yamaha's, and again don't do loud. They will also be used in the studio.

Back in post #5 I believe someone said:
Check out Audio Nirvanna drivers at commonsenseaudio.com

A couple of years back I got a pair of Cast Frame 10's and built a pair of EZ10 horns. There is a thread about them in this forum somewhere. When fed with a 125 WPC tube amp these did loud, and did it well. The drivers are only rated for 35 watts, so you can't crank it, but with 96 db sensitivity, you don't have to. Metallica, Floyd, Depeche Mode, all sound great even pushed to the drivers limits. Sadly, I sold these speakers, because they were too damn big, and the wife thought they were ugly.

I also mounted a pair of Hawthorne Silver Iris drivers into a matched pair of old console radios for an "antique look" that made Sherri happy. The Silver Iris is a coaxial speaker with a 15 inch Eminence woofer, and a horn tweeter firing through the center of the magnet. These mild mannered old radios could hit 120 db SPL and do it all day long. They do LOUD! Want a Metallica concert inside your house, just turn the 125 WPC amp up all the way. These made the trip, and will be hooked back up.

eljoantonyn ,

With a Foobar plug-in you can actually set a digital XO with your Xonar DX... with that plug-in you can set XO frequencies, control volume and play around with the XO design a bit IIRC. You can have stereo bass drivers/subs too...A friend had shown me how, so I can't recall the exact procedures/features that much.

As you have mentioned there is an option under the Asus utility also to choose large or small fronts and assigning XO frequency. You will need two amps though for an active FAST setup. The amp to drive your mid-top can be lower powered vs the one for bass drivers. DO you have 2 amps?

For a FAST that will kick **s with hard rock and metal you will need good woofers that play well from 40-500 Hz. As you mentioned your XO will be be probably ~250 Hz. Though XO is lower at ~250Hz, a bit of headroom for woofers/mid-bass is recommended for cleaner output. What options for bass drivers do you have in the local market?

Last edited:
I just found this thread and I also like LOUD rock. I recently moved 1200 miles and due to the cost of moving / storage / moving again, some of my stuff got sold or given away. In the next few months I will be putting what remains back together, and building some new stuff.

Back in Florida I had four systems. The one that saw the most use did rock very well, but did not do loud. It is a pair of Yamaha NS-10M Studio Monitors with a budget sub for help below 80Hz. This was actually used in a recording/playback setup, and worked well for that purpose. It will be reassembled in pretty much the same configuration for studio, mixing, and mastering purposes.

I have a pair of FH3's and they sound very nice and detailed, don't hit the dynamics as well as the Yamaha's, and again don't do loud. They will also be used in the studio.

Back in post #5 I believe someone said:
Check out Audio Nirvanna drivers at commonsenseaudio.com

A couple of years back I got a pair of Cast Frame 10's and built a pair of EZ10 horns. There is a thread about them in this forum somewhere. When fed with a 125 WPC tube amp these did loud, and did it well. The drivers are only rated for 35 watts, so you can't crank it, but with 96 db sensitivity, you don't have to. Metallica, Floyd, Depeche Mode, all sound great even pushed to the drivers limits. Sadly, I sold these speakers, because they were too damn big, and the wife thought they were ugly.

I also mounted a pair of Hawthorne Silver Iris drivers into a matched pair of old console radios for an "antique look" that made Sherri happy. The Silver Iris is a coaxial speaker with a 15 inch Eminence woofer, and a horn tweeter firing through the center of the magnet. These mild mannered old radios could hit 120 db SPL and do it all day long. They do LOUD! Want a Metallica concert inside your house, just turn the 125 WPC amp up all the way. These made the trip, and will be hooked back up.
Those Cast Frame 10's has incredible specs !!

120 db !!:eek:
:RESPECT:

eljoantonyn ,

With a Foobar plug-in you can actually set a digital XO with your Xonar DX... with that plug-in you can set XO frequencies, control volume and play around with the XO design a bit IIRC. You can have stereo bass drivers/subs too...A friend had shown me how, so I can't recall the exact procedures/features that much.

As you have mentioned there is an option under the Asus utility also to choose large or small fronts and assigning XO frequency. You will need two amps though for an active FAST setup. The amp to drive your mid-top can be lower powered vs the one for bass drivers. DO you have 2 amps?

For a FAST that will kick **s with hard rock and metal you will need good woofers that play well from 40-500 Hz. As you mentioned your XO will be be probably ~250 Hz. Though XO is lower at ~250Hz, a bit of headroom for woofers/mid-bass is recommended for cleaner output. What options for bass drivers do you have in the local market?
I don't have any extra amps but I can buy plate amps from Dayton or build a 250W mono amp from a ready-to-wire kit.

As for the availabilty of woofers, I can get most of the Dayton and Peerless drivers from my friend.
But Fullrange drivers...the availability is a lot less.
I'll have to order it from madisound or partsexpress I guess.

I think the effect of an open staircase is identical (or at least similar) to an open doorway, or any opening like windows etc.

Other than fighting with it, you may use speakers that don't pressurize the room. (or it doesn't count on it to maintain the balance) Dipole, that is. (Slot loaded brings back the punch. But it's still not good at very low frequency, below 30Hz or so... )

It has another benefit for this application -- very uniform power response, in and out of the room.

With boxed speakers, when the setup is optimised for a sweet spot in the room, then it mostly sounds boomy when you walk away to the outside. With dipole, it maintains the same tonal balance, just quieter overall when you go further.

But, fullrange unit, high SPL and dipole can't be one thing.

I think the effect of an open staircase is identical (or at least similar) to an open doorway, or any opening like windows etc.

Other than fighting with it, you may use speakers that don't pressurize the room. (or it doesn't count on it to maintain the balance) Dipole, that is. (Slot loaded brings back the punch. But it's still not good at very low frequency, below 30Hz or so... )

It has another benefit for this application -- very uniform power response, in and out of the room.

With boxed speakers, when the setup is optimised for a sweet spot in the room, then it mostly sounds boomy when you walk away to the outside. With dipole, it maintains the same tonal balance, just quieter overall when you go further.

But, fullrange unit, high SPL and dipole can't be one thing.
Thanks for the heads up:)

If you are free, can you kindly recommend any Dipole design which is good with Rock (SPL is not that important) ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.