Single Full Range Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So it would not be possible to use these drivers?

Also, if I fill the inside of the enclosure with sound absorbing material would this decrease the volume needed for the speakers? I prefer to 'boost' the speakers a little bit and save my self the hasle of making a subwoofer.

And how are the specs of this driver in general?

I have no clue if that's a lot or not. I am amateur to the max with this stuff. I just thought that, seeing I have these beolab 3s and they sound pretty good in a small enclosure, why not have a look at using those as my drivers

I'd suggest that might be an "optimistic" spec for linear travel - in other words, most drivers that size would be expected to be capable of less excursion.

As was mentioned above, the Beolab speakers probably rely on substantial EQ and power consumption to achieve the results, and the drivers used are almost certainly specifically engineered for such application - i.e. with high power handling and excursion limits to withstand the duty load.

I came across some drivers from MarkAudio (Alpair 7) which seem interesting. Any thoughts on these?

Alpair 7 Gen. 3 : Data (with cover)
REVC : 5.4 Ohm
Fo : 70.90 Hz
Sd : 5.02 K mm/2
Vas : 4.58 Ltrs
Cms : 1.27 uM/N
Mmd : 3.74 g
Mms : 3.95 g
BL : 3.83 T*M
Qms : 3.07
Qes : 0.65
Qts : 0.54
Levc : 21.30 uH
No : 0.24%
Spl Spl : 85.80 dB (with rear cover) 85.20 dB (rear cover removed)
Pwr : 20w Nom.
X max : 4.2 mm 1 way
Coil Dia : 20-mm
Main tolerance : +/- 1.5 Hz on mean Fo

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I came across some drivers from MarkAudio (Alpair 7) which seem interesting. Any thoughts on these?

One of the very best FRs one can get at any price, and in its price range ...

Efficiency & loudness limited, if you are willing to get a bit less DDR but more bass, efficiency, and loudness capability the slightly larger Alpair 10p is highly recommended.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you are considering A7, you might want to consider Faital Pro 4FE35 - very nice performance almost measures the same for $25.

I haven't tried those yet, they would be have to be VERY good to come close to the A7 -- X you are putting far too much faith into measured FR, which tells you nothing about a driver's DDR and therefore only a sniff of what it sounds like.

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I haven't tried those yet, they would be have to be VERY good to come close to the A7 -- X you are putting far too much faith into measured FR, which tells you nothing about a driver's DDR and therefore only a sniff of what it sounds like.

dave

I personally have not heard either but BMS has listened to both and measured both and he says he really can't tell the difference - he actually says that the Faitals sound very nice. The A7 looks great, the Faital is kind of industrial looking but the 91dB efficiency is pretty nice and it is a pro audio driver so can probably take some abuse.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
How small will I be able to make the sealed enclosure for the Alpair 7? I looked at WinISD but it's windows only and I honestly don't know anybody with a windows operating computer. As I mentioned before, I am thinking of filling up, or lining, the enclosure with some sound absorbant material. If the drivers require too much volume than I might need to consider one of the other speakers from MarkAudio.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sims for sealed 7.3. These volumes are unstuffed, absorbent fill will increase the apparent volume of the box.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• A7g3-sealed.gif
    A7g3-sealed.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 446
Thank you very much dave. 1.877 Liters? I think that would be possible! I also think the gold one will be an intersting fit with my project. I have considered adding a subwoofer but it just doesn't fit in my budget (especially the vases). I hope the two of these will be able to produce some descent sound.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thank you very much dave. 1.877 Liters? I think that would be possible! I also think the gold one will be an intersting fit with my project. I have considered adding a subwoofer but it just doesn't fit in my budget (especially the vases). I hope the two of these will be able to produce some descent sound.

A q of 1.0 is shown only as a reference, it is a bit higher than one ususally likes. Also a box that small will likely suffer from early reflections back thru the cone.

Note: the A7 officially called gold are actually copper, only the 1st gen was available in gold.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.