Single Full Range Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,

I'm planning on making a pair of single full range speakers. The enclosure will be very limited (about 1 liter) and the speakers can't be very large (around 4-6 inch). The enclosure will be similar to that of a wine bottle (probably slightly bigger) where the bottom will be open to house the speaker and it will have a narrow opening at the back similar to a bottleneck.

-Should I use the 'bottleneck' as a bassreflex or would it function better as a closed enclosure? Or does this depend on the speaker?
-Can anyone recomend some full range speakers that would work well in such a limited enclosure
-Should I fill the whole enclosure with sound absorbing material?
-Are there any speaker specifications that I should pay special attention to regarding the limited enclosure
-Would it be possible to do this and actually get some decent sound out of it?

One example of a speaker I found is the -Tang Band W4-1320SIF 4"-

Or possibly a pair of Coral Beta 6s, although 6" would be the absolute max.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You need to download a speaker simulation program and play with it - you can answer all your questions here regarding sealed or bass reflex. It depends on the driver's parameters. But 1 L in general is too small for the types of drivers your are talking about if you want any bass out of them. More along the lines of 3 l to 5 liter depending on the driver. Get WinISD and plug in the TS params of the driver you want to use. Set the volume and set the sealed or bass reflex option.

As was said earlier you need to use a program plug your speakers data into it ( VAS QTS FS ect ) and go from there. You can't simply say a 4 " speaker should go in a 2 liter box it just doesn't work like that. I played with your driver for a moment and it looks like it wants to be in 3.14 l box if you port it or a closed box about 1.755 L Put it in a 1L box and it just won't be happy at all.

Yea I definitely see your point. The situation is as follows. I know someone who has a lot of experience making ceramic vases and he has agreed to make a pair for me that will fit a speaker. I would like to take this oppurtunity to make some very intersting speakers. I just don't have much experience with the speakers themselves. It's very easy for me to just put some speakers in and make something that will look very nice but it would be a shame if they don't function well.

The attached photo is one of his works. (The idea is to have the bottom open to fit a speaker and of course the speaker will be positioned horizontally, on a stand. As you can see the vase has an opening at the top too which I thought could maybe be used as a bass vent but reading the comments it seems that in this situation a closed enclosure would work better as they require a smaller volume.)

My thinking was that yes this is a small enclosure and seeing it's ceramic I thought that maybe I should fill the inside with some absorbant material to get better sound. I am quite picky concerning the speakers themselves as they will have to fit the vases visually. (I own some Coral Beta's that I find very nice but if this doesn't fit this particular project than I will find something else that will)

I have considered to add a single woofer but this will make the electronics even more complicated for me.

The URL shows a pair of 4" speakers with also a limited (ceramic) enclosure so it should be possible somehow.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• Vase sample.jpg
    Vase sample.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 795
That's very attractive for sure but can't see much bass coming out of those babies.

I really like that toaster thing in the centre. Is that a single slice? ;)

Actually there is an easy way to do the electronics. If you get a woofer and a plate amp, most plate amps today have a high level input and high level outputs so you first run the wires to the woofer and then to the ceramic speakers. The plate amp will also have a passive high pass filter so you will have some low frequency protection for the ceramics as well. Super easy to do, it almost wires itself.

They are not bad sounding at all considering their size (I actually have them) Single slice of aluminium? No I believe it's two. The set came as pictured it was his first series. The sub is a new added option. Would you suggest a 2.1 setup for me? I could do that. Will cost me a lot more probably but it might be worth it.. I don't know Joey Roth personally. What do you mean by a 'FAST'? Well I'm glad to hear spherical shapes are believed to act better! I have seen a vase shape that I think would act good as a sub enclosure.

"I can't see the vases gettig to 70Hz as a sealed alignment."

Are you suggesting they shouldn't be sealed or that in this case a woofer is necessary to compensate? sorry I'm not so familiar with this all. I assume 70Hz is a measurement of how 'low' the bass can go and you think 70Hz should be met by a speaker system?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
FAST stands odd Fullrange Assisted Subwoofer Technology or 2.1 with full range speakers and sub with a low freq crossover. If you use the sub the 70 Hz bass extension (or lack of) is not an issue. I just don't see how a small enclosure like that as sealed can give much bass below 150 Hz. But if you use a subwoofer it is not an issue. If you don't plan on using a sub, a bass reflex ported enclosure will give deeper bass extension - circa 60 Hz with the W4-1320 but the volume may need to be bigger. You have to run the program like WinISD to know for sure.

Hi,

1 litre internal volume limits you to </= a 3" driver, and
some serious diffraction and and bass peaking issues.
You won't practically get below 150Hz with 1L, farfield.
You can forget porting nonsense with typical drivers.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
I would prefer to not have the subwoofer but I think it will not be possible to make an enclosure large enough for a bass reflex system, so a subwoofer is probably necessary. Is there a difference between sub and subwoofer? Yes I get 1L is around right for 3" or less however I think it should have a least a 4" so I'll just have the vase made bigger but I just can't end up with a massive one of course. So there will be a limit.

At the moment I'm thinking of a pair of 4" speakers that will have the vase made according to suggested volume (possibly the W4-1320) and than something around 6" for the subwoofer.

Is there a difference between sub and subwoofer?
No, it's a very blurred term that often refers to an auxiliary bass unit in its own cabinet and often a plate amp.

Yes I get 1L is around right for 3" or less however I think it should have a least a 4" so I'll just have the vase made bigger but I just can't end up with a massive one of course. So there will be a limit.
If these are for nearfield listening, a 3" can be quite satisfactory and even do the highs a little better. The helper woofer can take it from where a 3" leaves off.
something around 6" for the subwoofer.
Consider the TB 1139, ferrite version

Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6-1/2" Paper Cone Subwoofer Speaker | 264-919

with one of these so you can use the built in XO for the small speakers:

Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier | 300-784

Ok I have another question, I have been thinking a lot about the speakers and was wondering the following. I have a pair of beolab 3 speakers (little footballs with some serious sound) How is it possible that these have such a small enclosure? I found some drivers for these speakers (5") on ebay and the specifiactions are as follows:

Characteristic sensitivity (2.83V / 1m) : 88 dB
Recommended frequency range : 50 - 4000 Hz
Free air resonance frequency, fs : 50 Hz
DC resistance, Re : 4 ohm
Voice coil inductance, Le : 0.4 mH
Effective piston area, Sd : 145 cm²
Moving mass incl. air, md : 20 g
Mechanical loss, Rm : 1.5 Ns/m
Force factor, BL : 8.0 Tm
Equivalent volume, Vas : 48 ltr.
Mechanical Q-factor, Qms : 2.3
Electrical Q-factor, Qes : 0.30
Total Q-factor, Qts : 0.27
Excursion, lin./max. : ±6.5 / ±10 mm
Voice coil diameter : 42 mm
Rated power handling : 80 W
Net weight : 0.73 kg

Would these suit my project?

Beolab speakers use incredible amounts of eq on their smaller stuff to get anything resembling bass out of them.

Of course, when lots of eq is used, power requirements increase massively (+3dB boost = 2x power), so they digitally control the lot, protecting against over-temperature, over-excursion, etc etc, so nothing gets damaged.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.