Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2014, 06:56 PM   #201
diyAudio Member

Smile You`re not alone Dave...

I have my share of BrainFade(age is to no good help either).

But to you`r very nice enclosure - The FHXL - I can tell you: I haven`t listened to Rickie Lee Jones - Pirates since I sold my Infinity Delta. So very weak recording and nearly no bass on Alp10.2 in Fonken or Alp12P!

But today - on the FHXL - there it was - We Belong Together - from R.L.Jones - with full slam and all the groove that her earlier recordings is full off.

Thanks Dave and Scott and Chrisb - and Mark! For giving new life to old favorites.

Best

Olav
Old 20th June 2014, 12:36 AM   #202
mp29k is offline mp29k  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Plans

What is the cost for plans, and recommended joinery method?
Old 20th June 2014, 01:09 AM   #203
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Plans cost a minimum $10 donation to diyAudio (just send me a copy of your PayPal receipt). Drawn for butt joints.

dave
Old 20th June 2014, 02:35 PM   #204
KarlD is offline KarlD  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I keep looking at this...

Could anyone tell me how much a pair of A10p set you back by the time they are in your hands in the UK?
Old 20th June 2014, 03:27 PM   #205
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Our first 2 pairs of prototypes were in fact fully done by hand, including the rebates for drivers, made with templates salvaged from error on previous A10 project - and all butt joints, brad nailed and screwed, then bondo'd up for veneering.

Take the time to cut and sand an MDF pattern for the curved sides, then rough cut blanks for side panels and finish with router/ flush trim bit.

Even when not using dados for the back and internal fold panel, I found that using a scarf joint and small triangular block near the apex of the fold provides substantial additional glue surface area where you most definitely need an airtight seal.

Of course, if you have access to CNC router, there's no reason to get old school "hair shirt" about it.
Old 20th June 2014, 03:41 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

I'm not out to make money or anything on this, but thought I would mention I have a 5'x10' Pacer CNC router at work so if anyone UK based wants panels cutting then drop me a pm. We get birch ply at a good price too. I'd have to ask the boss about price to cut but I can't imagine it would be a lot.
Old 20th June 2014, 06:10 PM   #207
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Karl - that kinda strikes me as consonant with the whole DIY co-op spirit upon which the FrugelHorn project was based all those eons ago , but Dave & Scott might speak to the matter as to what exactly would constitute a commercial venture requiring a one time acquisition of MJK worksheet license?
Old 20th June 2014, 07:29 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

It would be reasonable that whoever came to me should be able to prove they had made the donation for the plans. I guess I would have to prove I wasn't making any more than that, for my own gain?

I see your point though. I mentioned it because I have a huge amount of experience in cutting plywood both by hand and with offhand equipment and I know that it is a splintery horrible material and a right ball ache to do properly. Having the CNC makes it childs play and I would like to help people make something as making 'stuff' is what I'm passionate about.
Old 8th July 2014, 09:16 AM   #209
diyAudio Member

Is there a champher at the rear of the driver on the front baffle to let the driver breath easily?

and has a MDF box been made and any difference to sound?

Last edited by falcoron; 8th July 2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 8th July 2014, 09:33 AM   #210
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoron View Post
Is there a champher at the rear of the driver on the front baffle to let the driver breath easily?
Always.

Quote:
and has a MDF box been made and any difference to sound?
I do hope not. MDF is not at all well suited to a cabinet of this size; structural stiffness is important & something MDF is significantly short of compared to a quality ply.

Hide this!Advertise here!