Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

You're welcome :)

As I see, Karlson & DML have something in common: loved by a very small group, doubted (and/or sniffed) by a much larger group, and completely ignored (and/or unknown) by most others. How interesting.

That's maybe the reason why I --a DML lover-- found this Karlsonator-related thread. LoL.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
We have been having a discussion of a possible challenge in the Cornu thread that you all may like:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/225622-ever-think-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can-172.html#post3928815

Basically build the best speaker you can from nothing but dollar store supplies ($20 limit) and dumpster diving within 1 mile radius of dollar store, with no tools or shop. Pretend you are on travel at a hotel room. If enough interest maybe deserves a new thread?

No dollar store in Europe - then do it based on $20 to Euro conversion limit and any store you like and of course trash cans. Acoustic ceiling tiles from construction dumpsters are very useful...

I like this topic :) excellent...
btw, maybe already sombody mentioned,
Yamaha have some old types with similar koncept... ?
JA series biggest is "elephant ear". I was listened and light measured once a few models.
there is something of "natural sound", like all series named..?
JA-6001, JA-6002, JA-4001, JA-6001, JA-5101 etc... google..
some of them are with alnico motors... :)

lets clearly refine the rules.

How about:

Tools: Unlimited

Location: Kitchen counter, living room table or maybe just have them show us a pic of where it was made.

Price: Dollar figure only includes actual material in the box, not sundries and must account for the fact that few places are going to be cheaper the Cont. NA.
So all solid materials includes the box, the drivers, binding posts, wire and fastenners and any stuff inside but not things like the cost of glue or tape used for clamps or the new blade you used to get a nice cut or, or, or...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What do we do about guys lucky enough to find really good drivers in the trash bin like the one guy who found a pair of JBL LE8T's? :) Of course a speaker made with something like that will sound better than the $5 pair of PC speakers at MicroCenter. How do we normalize the quality and luck of finding awesome drivers? Maybe categories for the driver used (no matter how much they cost to find)? <$10 retail, <$100 retail, and anything above $100 - should cover it.

You may get more participants if people get to make what they want to, without restricted rules. Instead, just use a scoring system that evens the playing field - if you use a fancy driver because you want to, then their final 'score' is de-rated. If you use fancy tools in a big shop - you'd have to produce a masterpiece to score as good as the guy that built his in a phone box using his teeth.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It can't be open to anything and all tools - that just isn't interesting to me anymore. Maybe level the field like certain automobile races where they provide an engine and the teams build the chassis. We could specify a good but inexpensive driver - like the Vifa TC9FD or Faital Pro 4FE35, 4FE32, Fostex FF85WK, or Visaton FR10. Limit materials cost to $20 not including specified driver. No power tools - hot melt glue gun ok. I am open to other suggestions for the common driver to be used. Tang Band W4-1320SIF bamboo is another good one - kind of expensive at $37. Same with 4FE32 and FF85WK about same price range.

Or let the contestant pick their choice of driver from above list? Also, you can't get 50 of the same driver to make the IDS-25. That is not fair either.

Last edited:
so to clear this up it's gotta be made from foam core? or <20 dollars of material from the buck store?
i like cal's take on any thrift store/dumpster dive find as many experiment /projects i play with start there to begin with.
i think a few categories might cover it, like lowest cost overall driver/enclosure(as in found drivers or recycled from tv, ghetto blaster, computer speakers etc. with enclosure made from dollar store material) then low cost driver + dollar store enclosure and possibly a third where any non traditional material and driver resources with a cap/limit on cost

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is getting complicated. How is this to be judged? I am wondering if we have a great idea (thanks to X) and are struggling with the implementation. Are we looking for a contest or could we just have a thread that says "this is what I did and this is how I did it?" in a frugal manner?

What thinking?

You are right, not a contest but a thread for cheap quick and dirty builds that sound good. You can still call it a challenge and we can even use the fancy voting feature (not that inhale ever used it).