Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
10 minute OB FAST System

I had an old refrigerator box that I was flattening for recycling and noticed it was about right size for an open baffle. I cut the box into two 90 deg sections and glued a piece of foam core for reinforcing the driver mount. Cut two holes for TC9FD and mounted them, then I put a ported sub woofer (old JVC labrynth subwoofer speaker) behind the baffle and aimed port backwards against wall. So with a sub assisting a full range, I guess I have a FAST with an OB. I hooked up the A output from Yamaha amp to Vifa's and B output to JVC subs no crossover. I have never heard an OB before and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it was pretty good - very spavious open sound with nice mids and highs. I even tried bi-amping by driving Vifa's with Lepai T-amp. That allowed me to independently control level of sub woofer and bass which was nice to overcome baffle step. Cardboard is fugly and there is no way I am keeping this long, but it was fun and quick. 10 minutes from idea to first sound. Pretty cool and fun if you have never tried open baffle before. In case you are curious, I did an A/B comparo of the FH3-inspired horns and the OB, the horn wins in imaging and vocal clarity and cleanliness of bass compared to sub. I think what surprised me is how good cardboard and 10 minutes of effort can sound! I mean for a small party, these would have been more than suitable for some fun with friends and drinks. :D

Attachments

• OB-test-04743522927.jpg
    OB-test-04743522927.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 463
  • OB-test-03-1901550079.jpg
    OB-test-03-1901550079.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Cardboard is good to experiment, but I like the durability and how easy it is to work with foam core. If you want the carton to last, just get 2-Part Epoxy, the one used for fiberglass cloth, and "paint" the carton with it. It will stiffen and be waterproof.

Attachments

• DTV OB 2.jpg
    DTV OB 2.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 447
One late night, well a six years old go to bed quite early, but anyway I did steal back some foam board.

And built a Mini BiB's..
Hang on, is fast but not as fast, as the glue dries in 5 minutes ..

First, measure twice

3 minutes later, cutting

All the pieces took about 10 minutes to cut

Starting to glue

Made one or two small mistakes along the way, that made it took a little longer than necessary

Among other things, that the speaker did not fit, so I had to build a small box behind the magnet. Wait that was not really my fault i guess.

Damping in place

Tried not to repeat the mistake they made in Italy when they built the Leaning Tower of Pisa, trying to cut the bottom straight.

Upside down, and five minutes drying time, what a waste of time ...:D

Playing time.. :D

How should I describe the sound then?
WOW, I'm stuck, feel a new addiction coming :eek:

Of course they do not rattle any windows, but there are enough bass so that's really fun to listen to Vicious Delicious by Infected Mushroom.
But they need not be ashamed when they play Ohio by Over The Rhine or Joy to my soul by Oslo Gospel Choir.

Oh sorry picture of speakers used..

The NS3 is running full range, the Vifa tweeters are not connected.

Already having some ides for the next build. Only have to find a store that sells foam board cheap.

\M

Last edited: