Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 131 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2013, 06:14 PM   #1301
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Can I use wood glue to bond foam core? I have UHU, but it is getting gooey, which means it is almost useless.
Old 14th February 2013, 06:16 PM   #1302
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

UHU no good. Wood glue yes good. Hot glue for the first side, wood glue for the second.
Old 14th February 2013, 06:59 PM   #1303
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
UHU no good. Wood glue yes good. Hot glue for the first side, wood glue for the second.
Thanks!
Old 15th February 2013, 01:27 AM   #1304
diyAudio Member

When using foam core, do you still line the inside walls with felt or other acceptable material, like you do with wood? Or, you don't need to line due to the foam absorbing/dampening qualities?
Old 15th February 2013, 01:38 AM   #1305
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Wherever you normally line with felt, foam, or stuffing when building in wood, do the: same with foam core as the surface is smooth and nonporous as it is made of paper. Treat it like thin plywood.
Old 15th February 2013, 01:58 AM   #1306
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Wherever you normally line with felt, foam, or stuffing when building in wood, do the: same with foam core as the surface is smooth and nonporous as it is made of paper. Treat it like thin plywood.
Makes sense...Thanks!
Old 17th February 2013, 01:09 AM   #1307
diyAudio Member

Default 10 minute OB FAST System

I had an old refrigerator box that I was flattening for recycling and noticed it was about right size for an open baffle. I cut the box into two 90 deg sections and glued a piece of foam core for reinforcing the driver mount. Cut two holes for TC9FD and mounted them, then I put a ported sub woofer (old JVC labrynth subwoofer speaker) behind the baffle and aimed port backwards against wall. So with a sub assisting a full range, I guess I have a FAST with an OB. I hooked up the A output from Yamaha amp to Vifa's and B output to JVC subs no crossover. I have never heard an OB before and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it was pretty good - very spavious open sound with nice mids and highs. I even tried bi-amping by driving Vifa's with Lepai T-amp. That allowed me to independently control level of sub woofer and bass which was nice to overcome baffle step. Cardboard is fugly and there is no way I am keeping this long, but it was fun and quick. 10 minutes from idea to first sound. Pretty cool and fun if you have never tried open baffle before. In case you are curious, I did an A/B comparo of the FH3-inspired horns and the OB, the horn wins in imaging and vocal clarity and cleanliness of bass compared to sub. I think what surprised me is how good cardboard and 10 minutes of effort can sound! I mean for a small party, these would have been more than suitable for some fun with friends and drinks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OB-test-04743522927.jpg (107.9 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg OB-test-03-1901550079.jpg (112.1 KB, 266 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 17th February 2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 17th February 2013, 05:43 PM   #1308
diyAudio Member

Cardboard is good to experiment, but I like the durability and how easy it is to work with foam core. If you want the carton to last, just get 2-Part Epoxy, the one used for fiberglass cloth, and "paint" the carton with it. It will stiffen and be waterproof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DTV OB 2.jpg (457.6 KB, 243 views)
Old 18th February 2013, 12:52 AM   #1309
diyAudio Member

That 2 part epoxy is nice but costs as much as a dozen sheets of foam core. I was thinking covering in cloth and pva glue like a book cover.
Old 18th February 2013, 12:54 AM   #1310
diyAudio Member

The OB is no more, swmbo said it has to go. No biggie, it collapses flat and stores out of the way should I ever want to play with it again.

Hide this!Advertise here!