A Big'un - the Audio Nirvana Super 15

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I may have to cook up a reason to build again!

The spec sheets for the AlNiCo look interesting, even the 8" drivers have decent bass extension, on papaer at least. The question I have is how to compare the Super (with whizzer and phase plud) with the Classic (treated cloth dust cap)? I worry about poor treble dispersion without the whizzer.

If you get the 8" Alnico let us know how it compares to the 15" ferrite.
If you like it I'll get the 10" Alnico

Let this be a warning to all ...

I got lazy, I thought it would be OK to put another speaker on top of my Big'un. Then another amplifier box. Then a couple more experimental items. Then some wires. OK, it was starting to get messy. And then it happened. She said "that speaker might be too big for this room" ...... whoa ! :eek:

I tidied up real fast, moved all the non-essential stuff out of sight. It's looking much less cluttered now. See how it goes.

I tidied up real fast, moved all the non-essential stuff out of sight. It's looking much less cluttered now. See how it goes.

LOL! :D I was fortunate to never having any audio related WAF issues, but I didn't much care for how my long gone huge theater horn system looked, so made 5 ft W x 8 ft full height screens to quarter? the corner [created a 45 x 45 x 90 triangle in cross section] originally made from an old theater screen and painted with the wall color, but the hole pattern drove me to distraction and rolled off the HF too much, so with no suitable adjustable EQ, switched to painted pet screen, which gave a nice textured 'look' and sufficient transparency for my needs.

A side note: don't know if industrial velcro is still a much better/stronger version of the consumer stuff like it was in the late '60s, but I didn't know better, so with only having used the latter up to this point, made it continuous all the way around the screens and when it came time to pull them off the wall/ceiling it proved impossible without destroying the drywall. :(

GM

Have the run of the house today and re-purposed an old iMac - now have a giant Juke Box (courtesy of YouTube) :D

and there's 150W of TGM7 behind it

Attachments

• video juke box.JPG
    video juke box.JPG
    958.3 KB · Views: 510
I decided to try out the back panel again. Last couple of times I felt the sound had lost it's life and had to take it back off but with OB the bass does have a hump in it that isn't quite right I suppose. Given that the high frequencies come off the whizzer there is no rear-sound wave except at the lower frequencies from the main cone. So I looked up the design from David who supplied the driver and there are supposed to be 3 round holes in the front baffle. I wouldn't call this a BR design but they do something. I don't want to put holes in the front of my nice speaker box so I put them in the back panel. I've put the back panel back on the speaker to try it out and see how I like the sound.

Initial impression is that I am losing some ambience in the room that I previously enjoyed, but the lower mid bass sounds flatter without any loss of extension. Early days, will have to live with it for awhile.

Attachments

• back-panel with holes.JPG
    back-panel with holes.JPG
    803.6 KB · Views: 362
I decided to try out the back panel again. Last couple of times I felt the sound had lost it's life and had to take it back off but with OB the bass does have a hump in it that isn't quite right I suppose. Given that the high frequencies come off the whizzer there is no rear-sound wave except at the lower frequencies from the main cone. So I looked up the design from David who supplied the driver and there are supposed to be 3 round holes in the front baffle. I wouldn't call this a BR design but they do something. I don't want to put holes in the front of my nice speaker box so I put them in the back panel. I've put the back panel back on the speaker to try it out and see how I like the sound.

Initial impression is that I am losing some ambience in the room that I previously enjoyed, but the lower mid bass sounds flatter without any loss of extension. Early days, will have to live with it for awhile.

i believe this is considered a 'distributed port'.

Given the size of the box and the aspect ratio of length:area of the holes it just looks 'wrong' to model it as a BR. Maybe there's some accidental MLTL here too ?

Haven't tried any resistive material in them holes yet.

P.s. I suspect volume is closer to 350 as the internal sound padding isn't as thick as I assumed at the start of this thread.

Just finished reading all 46 pages. Looks like a very worthwhile build. I am starting to get interested in full range designs, seems like the 15" Audio Nirvana driver may be a good starting point.

I am used to big speakers, here are my home theater speakers (all JBL Pro drivers, not replacing anytime soon):

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170814_193132.jpg
    20170814_193132.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 464
It's still the best speaker I have - still didn't get motivated to build something else although the 'itch to build persists. Unfortunately, the exact driver I used in this thread is no longer available, but Audio Nirvana still offer a number of large drive units that would be good to work with.

Your speakers, when taken together, are larger than the screen!

NWCgrad, Perhaps it's the 15" part that is attracting you! You are never going to get the life shaking effect from the AN15's you get from your current setup. Then again I used to be a huge multi driver freak yet I always felt something was missing from the sound that I was was mistakingly trying to achieve with more of everything.
Then I discovered single drivers and all the multi drivers just seemed to drift into the past and were never used. Of course my amplification all changed as well as I discovered along the way.
I still have the AN15's AN12's but haven't used them in a while since developing a taste for Markaudio drivers,,, Yes they are getting smaller,, but the drivers are excellent and I find them less eccentric than the AN drivers, in fact very good all round drivers. Having said that if I were to want to listen to Streisand or someone with a deep breathy voice there is nothing like the magic the AN15's can bring in! That's the thing their is no perfect speaker and one is always going to do something better than another but my heart just lies in single drivers that is for me where the most magic is!

Ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.