A Big'un - the Audio Nirvana Super 15

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's still the best speaker I have - still didn't get motivated to build something else although the 'itch to build persists. Unfortunately, the exact driver I used in this thread is no longer available, but Audio Nirvana still offer a number of large drive units that would be good to work with.

Your speakers, when taken together, are larger than the screen!

Hard to believe the screen is 110" dia. I just finished by front three speakers, and the itch to start the next design is very strong. I am going to build a two channel purist system, so am figuring out the best approach over next few months. I do not want to go commercial, to many compromises and/or to high of cost.

I really like large drivers, as witnessed by the two 18" and two 15" drivers in my HT speakers.

NWCgrad, Perhaps it's the 15" part that is attracting you! You are never going to get the life shaking effect from the AN15's you get from your current setup. Then again I used to be a huge multi driver freak yet I always felt something was missing from the sound that I was was mistakingly trying to achieve with more of everything.
Then I discovered single drivers and all the multi drivers just seemed to drift into the past and were never used. Of course my amplification all changed as well as I discovered along the way.
I still have the AN15's AN12's but haven't used them in a while since developing a taste for Markaudio drivers,,, Yes they are getting smaller,, but the drivers are excellent and I find them less eccentric than the AN drivers, in fact very good all round drivers. Having said that if I were to want to listen to Streisand or someone with a deep breathy voice there is nothing like the magic the AN15's can bring in! That's the thing their is no perfect speaker and one is always going to do something better than another but my heart just lies in single drivers that is for me where the most magic is!

Ray

It sure is...I am a fan of large drivers. My HT speakers are very good, but for two channel system I am building from scratch I am wanting something different. No having to worry about crossover point, crossover slope, driver delay, sensitivity matching, etc is a desired end goal. I tend to obsess over such things.

Perhaps you would like to consider a BLH for your two-way. I don't have experience with them myself, but I have read good comments about their ability to provide good dynamics despite having smaller drivers. I see a horn as acting like a magnifier for a smaller driver - which isn't far off reality when you consider they are acting as impedance converters.

I've built the Alpair 10.3 Pencils and compared them with the AN15. The AN15 has much more bass and is equal for the miss and treble, with better dispersion due to the whizzed. The AN wind for me. Having said that, the Alpair is better near-field.

Gareth, I am just in the process of moving to a house with a larger room,, been working on this house for quite a while and using the MA 12.2 as the AN's are still at the old house. I will be interesting to get comparing them, in the larger space.
I also got a nice new pre power that is stunning on the MA drivers but I have not got trying it with the Audio Nirvana's I look forward to that, so lots to play around with!

I also have a pair of the NA12 cast frame, pair of Alpair 10P and pair of Alpair 7.3 sitting in the boxes,,, waiting for boxes:eek:.

Ray

It sure is...I am a fan of large drivers. My HT speakers are very good, but for two channel system I am building from scratch I am wanting something different. No having to worry about crossover point, crossover slope, driver delay, sensitivity matching, etc is a desired end goal. I tend to obsess over such things.

That will give you more time spend to obsess over the position of the stuffing and see if long fiber mohair is better than the hand plucked stuff from a yaks ****!
I have always liked the 15's.
Bro also has a pair, lives in NH and when he heard mine many years ago he just had to build a pair for himself and I don't see him changing ever.
They are nice!

Although the AN12 comes from the same family as the AN15 I wouldn't expect them to be the same, i.e. you might find one of them suits your ears better than the other. Same with the Alpair drivers I would imagine although I've only really heard the A10.3. If I ever build a 2-way / full range + woofer pairing I might consider the A7.3.

Although the AN12 comes from the same family as the AN15 I wouldn't expect them to be the same, i.e. you might find one of them suits your ears better than the other. Same with the Alpair drivers I would imagine although I've only really heard the A10.3. If I ever build a 2-way / full range + woofer pairing I might consider the A7.3.

Gareth, my gut says the 7.3 would need a little augmentation on the bottom end to satisfy my own ears as well, I know many would disagree but god knows what they listen to.
I ran the 7.3 and the 10P drivers screwed into a bit of ply. Wasn't really able to form many firm opinions at the time , other than the paper driver had a very different character from the metal,,,, I liked it. I found running them in OB a little trying after a short period as my nerves were starting to get a little frayed so the kill switch got a whack. The AN12 I have only ran in OB ,,, I played about running the 12 in OB with the AN15 housed in the box and I liked the the result,, it fattened things up ,, imaging deteriorated but a nice full sound that was not offensive,,, may have been good with classical or orchestral stuff,, perhaps more to play with down the road!
I'm more of a mucker than matmatician but I trust my ears.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you really can't live without deepish bass then the A10s are probably a better choice, mid & tops are where the A7x shines… with a 2-way you can get the best of both…

Ellipsa-1st-veneered.jpg

dave

And suitably large :D

What I'm less enthusiastic about is the increased directionality at high frequencies from the Alpair. The published data shows a lot of narrowing in dispersion by 10kHz. Not just the Alpair but most full range drivers of 4" and above can show nearly a 20dB drop at 30deg off-axis. I asked Troels G why he hasn't built a FAST speaker and he drew my attention to this, showing me that a good tweeter will not suffer from this issue (e.g. Satori). I don't have data to hand for the AN15 but my listening experience is of very wide dispersion, the whizzer really does t's job.

Last edited:
And suitably large :D

What I'm less enthusiastic about is the increased directionality at high frequencies from the Alpair. The published data shows a lot of narrowing in dispersion by 10kHz. Not just the Alpair but most full range drivers of 4" and above can show nearly a 20dB drop at 30deg off-axis. I asked Troels G why he hasn't built a FAST speaker and he drew my attention to this, showing me that a good tweeter will not suffer from this issue (e.g. Satori). I don't have data to hand for the AN15 but my listening experience is of very wide dispersion, the whizzer really does t's job.

I think that is what I am experiencing at present with the 10.2s ,,, I brought the hifi into the bigger room and now that I getting a bit of damping going on with the carpet alone. I am noticing the much more directional thing going on and I don't have the huge ceiling to floor interlined curtains up yet at each end of the room. I think the AN 15 may be needed,,, maybe a rebuild,,, maybe a bigger box,,,if I could do a taller box it could go to the ceiling,,,,, so many thoughts!

That will give you more time spend to obsess over the position of the stuffing and see if long fiber mohair is better than the hand plucked stuff from a yaks ****!
I have always liked the 15's.
Bro also has a pair, lives in NH and when he heard mine many years ago he just had to build a pair for himself and I don't see him changing ever.
They are nice!

There is always something to obsess over in audio.

I am just now starting to look into the full range driver systems, so I have a lot of learning to do. Perhaps BLH's as suggested by Bigun.

I have 5 tunes that a system must be able to play or its a no-go:

1) Black Sabbath - "A Bit of Finger / Sleeping Village / Warning" (Black Sabbath) - contains the most "raw" electric guitar of any recording I have heard. Sounds fantastic on great speakers, like garbage on others.

2) Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" (Flight of the Cosmic Hippo) - best quote from internet describing this tune "soul shaking bass lines and a futuristic percussion barrage as a base in which Bela can soar with his beautifully complex banjo riffing."

3) Michael Hedges (R.I.P.) - "The Funky Avocado" (Breakfast in the Field) - Amazing transients and recording quality from an acoustic guitar master.

4) Dead Can Dance - "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" (Into the Labyrinth) - haunting recording with a lot of reverb, can sound terribly harsh on poor speakers.

5) Terry Evans - "Blues No More" (Puttin' It Down) - Blues great featuring superlative sound.

I think a tiny driver would have a hard time getting decent volume (not ear shattering, I have a home theater for that when the desire for concert SPL strikes).

Love some of the speakers in this thread. Been enjoying a 10" midrange (Eminence Lil' Buddy) on OB - sounds great! But I do have the 15" woofers... once you go 15" it's difficult to go back. Larger drivers excite more air and may be why we love them so much - even at lower volumes. Loving the horn tweeters too these days but always a full range driver fan.

Attachments

• IMG_3688.JPG
    IMG_3688.JPG
    643.1 KB · Views: 330
There is always something to obsess over in audio.

I am just now starting to look into the full range driver systems, so I have a lot of learning to do. Perhaps BLH's as suggested by Bigun.

I have 5 tunes that a system must be able to play or its a no-go:

1) Black Sabbath - "A Bit of Finger / Sleeping Village / Warning" (Black Sabbath) - contains the most "raw" electric guitar of any recording I have heard. Sounds fantastic on great speakers, like garbage on others.

2) Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" (Flight of the Cosmic Hippo) - best quote from internet describing this tune "soul shaking bass lines and a futuristic percussion barrage as a base in which Bela can soar with his beautifully complex banjo riffing."

3) Michael Hedges (R.I.P.) - "The Funky Avocado" (Breakfast in the Field) - Amazing transients and recording quality from an acoustic guitar master.

4) Dead Can Dance - "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" (Into the Labyrinth) - haunting recording with a lot of reverb, can sound terribly harsh on poor speakers.

5) Terry Evans - "Blues No More" (Puttin' It Down) - Blues great featuring superlative sound.

I think a tiny driver would have a hard time getting decent volume (not ear shattering, I have a home theater for that when the desire for concert SPL strikes).

WHAT: NO STREISAND !! ,,, the 15's are made for her!

YouTube

Where is the bass ??
Do you have a bad microphone or does AN15 sound so bad?

Thank you very much for starting this interesting thread, Bigun. Much appreciated and very good reading! I have followed the thread closely, and it helped me to pull the trigger and order a pair of the AN15s. I first put the drivers in large open baffles, 6x3 ft with wings. The bass output was very adequate in those baffles, but with a different sound to it, a different 'signature', than in the 13.6 boxes. I'm not sure which bass signature I prefer, from the 13.6 boxes or from the ob. However, I had a problem with beaming at higher frequencies in the ob, a problem that I can't detect with the drivers in the 13.6 cabinets. I also had more of a problem with a rising midrange in the ob's, and I used some eq to manage that. I talked about the beaming I heard with David at Commonsense Audio, and he recommended me to build the 5.6 or 13.6 enclosures. Well, the beaming is inaudible to me in the 13.6 cabinets and I like the overall presentation very much. However, there is a certain 'magic' to the ob sound, I like it a lot. I use about 20 degrees toe-in on the 13.6 boxes and my listening position is some 10 feet away from the speakers. I use no eq now, but I seem to enjoy the sound more if I position my head somewhat below the drivers. There is still some rise in the midrange, or it could be that I'm just over-sensitive to those frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.