My New Audio Nirvana Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes even with just one channel they sound good. You need to be careful though, on some songs one channel can sound a lot better than the other channel because of the way it is recorded
I would plan to mix the two L and R channels together anyway so no issues with that.
Regarding off axis: Yes the treble has a wide sweetspot. Obviously as you move off axis the treble changes but it does so very slowly and progressively
Well that almost seals the deal:D

melonhead,

I don't think it is a fair comparison, the fa22 to the an15. The 8" has what, 1/3 of the cone area ? And it just can't move the air like a 15" can.

Way back it looks like you have a je labs sized open baffle (31" tall x 35 1/2" wide x 5-10" deep). Some suggest to enclose the top. One said "And if you can get the speakers 10 to 12 feet back from the listening position, some of the illusion that the music is coming up from the floor goes away." Anothers like putting them on a 12" base (sounded higher but lost some bass). Others can't stand the sound from the floor and change to a higher driver open baffle. That jamo 20" wide thing would probably start rolling at 600hz.

To me, 17" from driver frame to edge would be the bare minimum (200hz then rolling). I'd try it.

Bigun,

I just use 1 speaker, but it is a cd horn (90 x 40 degree dispersion). 90 degrees down to 500hz, but the vertical 40 degrees only holds till about 2khz then falls off below that. Seated vs standing isn't great for me, but mids and highs are level front to back and side to side in my room.

Norman

Last edited:
That jamo 20" wide thing would probably start rolling at 600hz.

Norman

For some unexplained reason it is no where near that bad. I have compared headphones to the jamo style open baffles and there is honestly not much difference.
You definitely notice the roll off with the 10 Neo but not the 15 Cast Frame
I need to do proper measurements though to see what I am getting

melonhead,

I don't think it is a fair comparison, the fa22 to the an15. The 8" has what, 1/3 of the cone area ? And it just can't move the air like a 15" can.

Norman

When I was saying the AN15 is better than the Seas FA22 I wasn't referring to the bass, I was referiing to the midrange and treble.
The AN15 bass quality is about the same as the Seas, but the midrange and treble kick but on the Seas.
I am still amazed by it

maybe the cone area tricks the ear into thinking it is going lower than it is.

I'd read the Silver Iris people listen to their very narrow baffle.

My 2' x 2' x 19" deep open backed box with basically an 8" went deeper than I thought it should (mass corner around 200hz, Feq maybe 180hz or lower).

I have the akg k702, you have the k701's, right ?

Here is an 8" I think on a 40" x 80" early auditorium 23 design.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here was my w8 1808 on 5' tall, center panel 12" wide, left panel 15" deep, and right panel 19" deep (Feq hump around 200hz then rolled). I think the Feq hump adds a tremendous amout to the ear. It (open baffle) gives you around +3 to +6db hump compared to a normal speaker in a box that would be -3 to -6db due to baffle step. According to simulations, closer to a wall really lifts the under 300hz also.
DSCF1568.jpg

That is really interesting that the mid and treble is better. The fa22 has that rising response that would need a network that seas recommends, or at least a notch around 3khz.

Norman

Last edited:
Way back it looks like you have a je labs sized open baffle (31" tall x 35 1/2" wide x 5-10" deep). Some suggest to enclose the top. One said "And if you can get the speakers 10 to 12 feet back from the listening position, some of the illusion that the music is coming up from the floor goes away."
Norman

Yeah no issue there, my seating position is 16 feet. I also have them angled so they are at ear level from my seating position (angled directly toward ear height)

np.

Most recommend the shelf filter using the .82mH and the 6.8ohms with the seas.
http://www.seas.no/images/stories/prestige/pdfdatasheet/fa22rcz_appnote.pdf

39.5" wide baffle, driver 8.6" wide, so spkr edge to baffle edge around 15.5", should make for a hump above 200hz.

I think that ob or a JE Labs should work, but with a shelf across the top instead of a block.

Thanks for all your footwork.

Norman

OK. Had some more time to listen.
So far this is where the Seas fails to impress in comparison to AN:
1 Speed/Dynamics.
2 Clarity
3 Air
4 3D spatial imaging

The Audio Nirvana is better than the Seas in these areas and as an added bonus they are more efficient

The EQ adjustment does not help the Seas in the above areas.

Last edited:
Bigun,I just use 1 speaker, but it is a cd horn (90 x 40 degree dispersion).

I do believe a CD horn is going to give better dispersion. Actually, I've been looking at building something based on the Beyma TLP150H (from Stig Erik's stable) but I don't want to start with such an expensive system along with cross-overs etc. The AN15 looks like the simplest option that will allow me to do some experiments - and heck, if it's as good as it seems, I may stop there :D

The additional sensitivity of the the AN15 is important to me - not only do I want the option of using a low powered tube amp, but I keep reading that sensitive speakers sound better/different. Getting enough sensitivity at the low-end may require a supporting woofer. This isn't such a bad thing for OB because a supporting woofer can be positioned lower down on the baffle where it benefits from the proximity of the floor whereas the AN15 needs to be positioned somewhat higher so that the treble is nominally at ear-height.

I suspect that the recommended box for the AN15 works because it's smaller than the T/S would suggest is needed, but the bump in the low end that results from an under-sized box fills in the baffle step loss a little.

Last edited:

I thought I would check out the link you provided. This guy appears to have the pressed steel frame version which is quite different to the cast frame version, and not just in the frame construction only.

"The 'Cast Frame' models are improved in all areas of design, not just the addition of a stronger, less resonant, cast aluminum frame." David Dicks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.