Cutting the big bevels on a miniOnken - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2012, 08:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cutting the big bevels on a miniOnken

spit from Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Nice. How do you cut the 45 degree sides? In one operation or separate, one and one board before gluing?
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:06 AM   #2
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

I build them a little different than the plans.

I dado cut groves in the top and bottom for the, sides, brace and back.

A good “trick” is to cut the pieces at the same time; next to impossible to re-set the fence exactly in the same position.

E.g.:

Cut for length: sides (inter), brace and back (4 pieces).

Cut for width: top, bottom and back.

Glue up the 6 pieces above, it should be somewhat easy.

Cut the front baffle board 45degrees, should be a bit “wide” 1/16” on each side, this can be trimmed with a flush router bit. Add vent strips.

Cut the outside panels, 45degrees, (oversized) glue these on, line up the back perfectly; going in the saw next!

Use a good blade, “back up” the little corner with scrap hardwood for a good clean cut at the end. I did this a few times: the sneak-up-on it method.

Last step, go back and trim up the length: front and sides, they were left 1/8” long.

One other little trick to make life easier, enlarge the plans full scale on a copier; this fit nicely on an 11 x 17 sheet.

Please remember, this is slightly different then the classic build, I do like that the damping material can be added via the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fonken 1.JPG (229.5 KB, 598 views)
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
When I built my Mar-Kel70 I put the whole box together before doing the 45 degree cut with a circle saw, very easy. Then remove the top plate, add stuffing, wires and driver and the glue and screw the top plate back to the box.
Old 3rd January 2012, 05:02 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Unless you have a big-a$$ table saw, there will be a limit to how deep a chamfer you can cut in a single pass on a fully assembled enclosure, particularly on boxes like the Fonkens in Doug's photo. These use layers of 15 & 18mm plus up to 9.5mm for port spacers - that can mean a bevel over 45mm deep and 60mm across the diagonal.

Doug's assembly approach is different from mine - I assemble the three layers of side panels as a sandwich, attach the full width front baffle, top and bottom and cut bevels on 14" sliding saw. Not all DIYers or even small cabinet shops have one of those, and his technique is as valid as any.

oh yes, BTW Doug, how'd the latest project turn out?

Last edited by chrisb; 3rd January 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 3rd January 2012, 06:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
I built mine in 12mm... And if I remember correctly I had to do two cuts because there was about 1cm left after the first cut.
Old 4th January 2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Unless you have a big-a$$ table saw, there will be a limit to how deep a chamfer you can cut in a single pass on a fully assembled enclosure, particularly on boxes like the Fonkens in Doug's photo. These use layers of 15 & 18mm plus up to 9.5mm for port spacers - that can mean a bevel over 45mm deep and 60mm across the diagonal.
If you are really steady, a belt sander with 60 grit can be used, but you gotta be really steady (or use a hand-held electric plane). BUT, you must know exactly where any metal fasteners are, else not a good thing! (protect your eyes:" You'll miss them when they're gone.")
Old 4th January 2012, 05:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
If you are really steady, a belt sander with 60 grit can be used, but you gotta be really steady (or use a hand-held electric plane). BUT, you must know exactly where any metal fasteners are, else not a good thing! (protect your eyes:" You'll miss them when they're gone.")

hell, with enough time & skill you could carve a 80ft totem pole with a pen knife
Old 4th January 2012, 05:44 PM   #8
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Odougbo is pretty good with his belt sander, he thinks the 4" x 24" works the best. If he was to do that, he would add scrap wood/runners so not to overcut/sand.

Pre cutting the bevels is not a big thing, the whole project took two days (double 16 hour days).
Old 4th January 2012, 06:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODougbo View Post
Odougbo is pretty good with his belt sander, he thinks the 4" x 24" works the best. If he was to do that, he would add scrap wood/runners so not to overcut/sand.

Pre cutting the bevels is not a big thing, the whole project took two days (double 16 hour days).
ODougbo refers to himself in the 3rd person - a definite sign of DIY addiction? - i.e. pre-authorized plausible denial for those projects that don't quite work out?

chrisb is a member of that club - welcome aboard
Old 4th January 2012, 06:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

All you need is a razor sharp bench plane, you could do the chamfers in about 5 mins each or less, you would need skill of course, but what's wrong with that?

Hide this!Advertise here!