Cutting the big bevels on a miniOnken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What if you didn't cut the chamfers at all? If you're using the speaker as a center on its side with a shelf below and a tv above there's gonna be reflections anyway. I guess the port lengths would be slightly longer but what other problems would this cause?

Well our thinking on this particular design was to keep the baffle width as narrow as possible - for both aesthetic and acoustic reasons - and that bevels are a lot easier to machine than very large radius round-overs.

Yes they could be eliminated, and in fact my own HT system's center channel ( Alpair 7) is wide / short with a slot port at each end - the tuning logic is similar to the "Prime" series, but the enclosure construction is much simpler - somewhat similar to .
257632d1325281595-skeeters-superpensil12-build-1107011729.jpg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What if you didn't cut the chamfers at all? If you're using the speaker as a center on its side with a shelf below and a tv above there's gonna be reflections anyway. I guess the port lengths would be slightly longer but what other problems would this cause?

No chempher or a roundover require some adjustment of the inside end of the vent to compensate for the otherwise increased vent length.

dave

baffle bevel

What if you didn't cut the chamfers at all? ......
If you're using the speaker as a center on its side with a shelf below and a tv above there's gonna be reflections anyway. I guess the port lengths would be slightly longer but what other problems would this cause?

Hi there jb: Check out "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" 7th ed, by Vance Dickason, page 106 &b107, and table 2.2 (FR), where baffle edge difraction is discussed. If you used a sphere, the variation is presented as 1.08db, 4-inch bevel 1.13, for rectangle corners 3.03.
....regards, Michael

The 10" blade reaches okay, that's still a lot of material to rip/cut. The last cut is the most nerve racking, but it's not that bad. I wouldn't try it in on pass, one small bump and there a huge mark or burning.

There are always table saws on ebay, some starting as low as $50. The saws with a motor mounted below or on the back are good, i.e. you may want to ramp it up with a bigger motor someday.

I always liked the "contractor grade" saws, good prices, hefty motor and way less $$ than cabinet shop grade.

POWERMATIC - 64A 10 Table Saw, 1.5HP 1PH, w/ 30 Accu-Fence System

table saws

Contractor style saws are greatly enhanced by link type belts, as are all v belt driven tools. Vibration damping, as in speaker boxes, is also worth the trouble. Please use the appropriate blade for the application; rip for ripping, crosscut for crosscutting, and keep them SHARP.

One thought comes to mind, and obvious to some; a "ground table" is better than the stamped steel; but that would be extra cash. The issue with stamped steel tables, is the materail can dip into the "pockets". If you are only working on small projects, not a problem.

The best thing you can do for a table saw, is build an out-feed-table, this can be all day job (or more) but well worth it.

Contractor style saws are greatly enhanced by link type belts, as are all v belt driven tools. Vibration damping, as in speaker boxes, is also worth the trouble. Please use the appropriate blade for the application; rip for ripping, crosscut for crosscutting, and keep them SHARP.

Very good point, I've seen people work with blunt saws and blame just about everything but the blade, just run a circular saw through a gritty plank and it's pretty well blunt.

sawblades

I don't care for the combo format with the deep gullet every 5th tooth. They tend to throw wood in my face since I cut everything at least twice. And a good saw shop will get your blade sharper than new, and maintain tension if they're diligent. Not every shop will do though; some are carbide blasters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.