FE168E Sigma teardrop enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello guys
well after a long time (too many business travels), i think there should be time to move on with this project.
What i'm about to do now, is make a negative mold (fill the fiber glass mold with some resin).
I'm looking for some material that is easy to pour (like liquid plaster) but is hard enough to be turned on lathe. but again it has to be soft enough to sand.
Well ,might be a hard one :)
Any suggestions?

Hello all....
Small update....
Nothing new :D :D :D
I am stuck in one location for very long time now, only in hotel...no chance to work on the enclosures :(
Its starting to p..s me off.
As a small redundancy to my self, I am playing with the overall shape in the sketchup.
Have a look...still did not decided on the LF speaker... (Eminence Alpha15A, Beta bla bla bla, 18" or 15", what make etc...) there will be enough time for that..

I still didn't found anybody in Amsterdam with a big manual lathe :(...anyone????
Feel free to comment on the design....
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As I see it, I might loose some LF extension due to the raised position of the woofer....

Hello Joe,
well I personaly would like to go with huge cabinets, many ways, active etc etc.
But.....there is a big WAF to consider :) as I am married.
I have to please the eye with my design, and this one could get the green light.
I think I can compensate the roll off with some EQ and 18" cone area.... (personally even 15" is enough)

Also I'd like to take it to some ventures to show this design (if it work that is :D :D :D )
and would like to have a lot of headroom for more dB.

Just got me thinking about the x-over. You all think the DCX2496 is sufficient? Or ny other reasonably priced active xover? (song of future :) )

Hi Barackuda,
I am not sure if such a hybrid is a good idea, although it's worth trying.
I am worried about the matching problem between the monopole full range driver and the dipole woofer as you might experience a shift in polarity and room interaction.

I would suggest using a more conventional approach with sealed/bass reflex woofer.

boris thanks to chime in....
yes there might (will ) be many problems :)
My approach will be to 90% fully active, so the control might be better...we will see.
Perhaps it will be just luck (a lot of it) and it might sound acceptable... If not, at least it will be a great experience. And then will come more head scratching on new speaker :)
Thats the way in DIY...you're never satisfied.....

jeeeezus....its been over a year now :( why do we have to work?

Last edited:
Hi Barackuda,

I will start to work on my open baffle project in Christmas (yeah, school holidays!) and your experience will provide me quite a bit of knowledge on how to improve my design. =]
The interesting part of your design is the side firing nature of the dipole woofers. I suspect that will give you some weird out-of-phase bass in certain position and when you shift your position very slightly, it will become in-phase again... From conventional wisdom, that will occur. That's why some guys are suggesting the use of "ripol", which will probably to a better job, although slightly larger and less aesthetically pleasing.

Guys :)
thanks for all the info....
but remember...the LF is in the future :) there is enough time to decide on that. And if the dipoles are not good, I am sure my father will like them positioned the proper way....
I am more concerned about the FR enclosure to produce nice sound to my taste.

Joe:
thanks for the link, I have checked Ripole subs...
Thats doubling up on drivers, so the cost. I have no experience with ripole subs, but I had dipole LF channel for a long time while in UK. I had only 2 Alpha15's per side, then changed to Beymas 18" per side, and I did liked what I heard.
I am more concerned right now with the teardrop enclosure than the LF channel.

I do have one favor to ask from guys who have H frame subs...
Can you place them with the drivers facing to sides and listen to some music?
I would like to know what are the changes in this configuration.

Thanks...

BTW: the name is Danny

Danny: That's ok, I just had to check as 'd' and 'r' are very close together etc etc. I don't know if you have two together like in the last link. You may be able to have single ones on either speaker unit. Like in this link. Need someone with more knowledge on the subject. Look at this one and it only uses a single sub.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Take a look at this link I found, maybe of interest and help.

Hey Joe, like them more like this? :D :D :D
(Just playing in sketchup...... don't take it seriously)

Attachments

• complete-narrow bass unit Ripole.jpg
    complete-narrow bass unit Ripole.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.