FE168E Sigma teardrop enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Danny,

I understand about the budget, its always the limiting factor!
Let me know if you are visiting the UK, I will be happy to arrange a couple of killer demos that will give you a great reference for what can be achieved for mid market budgets....

Once we get our own 3D printer we will be able to run off small runs of 10 or 20 pairs at low cost.

All the best
Derek.

Hi fellow tear drop fans!

I have a still have my Overkill Audio mold for the "The Prey" head units, they are very high quality commercial molds.

I would be happy to make them available for a limited edition run / group buy if there is enough interest, something like 20 pairs?

If Sippy has the time he could build them, if not I have a very good (Formula 1 approved sub-contractor) contractor who can quote for the production run.

The internal volume is varies from around 20 litres (10mm wall thickness) down to approx. 10 litres depending on wall thickness and internal dampening.
I went Overkill....25mm plus / minus 10mm wall thickness with a wavy asymmetric internal finish, three different layers of Sorbothane, leather and bitumen materials plus Twaron internal stuffing....The end result was 22Kg weight (with Manger driver) and 10 litre internal volume.

I can advise and give details of how to achieve a totally inert cabinet.

Good to see you here Overkill and thanks for your units description..... some of your scheme is very much as I 'pre-imagined'.

Did you have your 'Prey' heads made by the F1 contractor?

If it wasnt for the fact that most humans (am trying Not to be too insulting here) want Ferrari 599's for the price of Matchbox models, I would consider your offer.
I've been very badly burnt with these sort of 'high value' things in the past and now, in almost all instances, have 'nowt to do with owt' other than my surfboards and even then you have to be of the 'correct character' to get one of my creations under foot.

However, I would like to send you a forum pm and maybe pick your knowledge base a bit - if thats ok with you?

Last edited:
Hi Sippy

I agree with you totally on the pricing....So many group buy originators post about the " stress, hidden costs and bad feeling" created when the unforseen happens.....
I would not touch a group buy or ask you to get involved without having all pricing very transparent and conservative from the start.

ie if you think that the cabinets will end up costing £250 plus delivery per cabinet (10mm wall thickness) for a run of 20 pairs, I would add on 40% and price them at £350 plus delivery per cabinet to cover contingencies and my guys time, or your time if you were doing the manufacture.

Bottom line is if someone is not happy paying £700 pair for a proven design with stunning asthetics that would have an RRP of at least £5,000 per pair with a good full range driver installed......Then they don't need to join the group buy....Let them design / build their own pattern, mold and speakers and tool up their garage to make their own fibre glass & resign workshop....!
Cheers
Derek.
PS Yes it was the F1 guys who designed and build the Prey and the alloy stands.

Last edited:
hmmm...guite difficult to apply bondo on a curved surface in even layer....
Danny

Aye, I can imagine.
Remember that this 'layer' is to fill the hollows / reveal the highs after sanding, so no need for perfect or 'all done at once' - Think of it as practice for 2nd teardrop :)
If you can start to bondo the second today as well, you'll find it easier going as you will have the actions semi-sorted.
Come to think of it, one could make bondo applicators from the sides of resin mixing buckets.
Cant see why I never thought of that!

hi sippy.
i think i put too much on the first one.a lot of sanding and no bondo lefr for the second.but it turned out nice and smooth.still some sanding to doo.
here are some pics.

Danny

Attachments

• 20141213_150149.jpg
    20141213_150149.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 20141213_153002.jpg
    20141213_153002.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 235
already did wes :)
but going home for x-mas, wont be back to them until 5th january...
i will sand the first one to perfection during the week :) but then i'm stuck...who will paint them, who will coat them in lacker? (spell)...

cant do it at work, too much dust everywhere...

Danny

Hi wes:
Had them transported to the house yesterday. So far no cracks or any wood movement after beeing in my work for 2 months. I think the fiberglass helped a lot and stabilized the movement. Will have to mark low and high spots on the body filler coat and start sanding with finer sandpapers....

Will upload some pics when progress is done. Now working 12h a day so very little time for speakers...

Danny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.