Jordan JxR6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this thread split from here :cop:

What did I miss?? :rolleyes:

After some thought I decided to make sat type speakers using pairs of JXR6's in each cabinet (instead of the JX92s), match them to a sub using the largest Jordan bass driver. No doubt someone has heard the JXR6 and hates them ;)

Luckily I heard the original model in Electrofluidics loudspeakers almost 20 yrs ago so am aware of how they sound- the designer tweaked/improved the 50mm units in some way - They were incredibly analytical, almost too much so - trying to find info about these speakers but nothing on the web..

edit- found this link http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/November 1994/165/777144/

Last edited:
Thanks Scottmoose- I've read about these little units being quite resiliant without any crossover at all but its not ideal is it? so to achieve 80hz accoustic crossover I wd need to go for a larger volume enclosure- any point in a reflex design?

a jordan unit between the jxr6 and jx92 wd be nice..

After some thought I decided to make sat type speakers using pairs of JXR6's in each cabinet

Don't forget that xjr6 is a spiderless driver so you want to approach acoustic roll off carefully. My guess is that it's better to be crossed with 125 or even 150 to get a nicer low end extension. May be with a first order crossover even.

I was given to understand that the JXr6 should only really be used above 200Hz, that means that the woofer must pretty close to it like a tweeter in a 2 way. If used as part of a typical sub-sat system (like Bose acoustimass systems) the woofer output will interfere with the imaging.

This German design on the hifisound.de site

hifisound eShop   -  E.J.JORDAN MINIUM - KOMPLETT-BAUSATZ  

Uses a single JXR6 with two Visaton AL130 drivers in a MTM configuration. It crosses at 500Hz, as Scott recommends. The drivers look a good bet to act as a small woofer for the JXR6 as they can be used in cabinets as small as 5 litres, so a smaller box than the Jordan bass units.

Farnell stock them in the UK

ALUMINIUM SPEAKER 90W 8OHM - AL130 1301 - VISATON

Combined with Hypex active LS panels, it would make an interesting speaker.

Thanks for organising the new thread- below is a quote of what I read to make me think the little jordans could be used without crossover and I also read that they can be accoustically crossed over as low as 80hz with the right enclosure and electrically at 120 hz or so- is 120hz low enough for a single sub? maybe not.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/91715-need-suggestions-midbass-jordan-jxr6-4.html

"I have just completed a pair of vertical linear arrays consisting of hexagonal sixteen liter enclosures using four each of the JXR6 HD drivers. They are designed as sealed acoustic suspension providing a system resonance of about 110 to 115 hz. No crossover or equalization components are used with the Jordans."

"Regarding longevity - when I last saw Ted, he gave me a demonstration of a JXR6 running at 1Hz (that's not a misprint), pumping away at high volume. Couldn't hear anything of course, but very impressive. (the unit had an experimental loading system known as 'hand held'). Ted also said he'd run a unit red hot once in an attempt to find out how much power it would take to get one to fail."

Last edited:
Halo,

Has anyone actually built or heard the two way system base on JXR6 and Jordan's JX125 or JX150. How does it sound in general?

I'm kind of bored with full rangers with wizzers, adding Aurum Cantus ribons, searching for bass help. I'm planning on buying Supravox EXc drivers and built some sytem based on them in some further future when I can afford them but I'm looking for a nice allround speaker that will play well with variety of amps, will not lack of bass foundation as most fullrangers do, will be quite linear and sounds at least very nice or extremelly well.

I was thinking about either one JX150 and one JXR6 per channel or maybe a line array of four per channel plus either one or two (I haven't looked deep inside the actuall systems) JX150.

Has anyone had any expirence with such systems?

I don't want to strech neither of the drivers and especially JXR6 cutting it low but rather use them well in their operating area.

Thanks

Last edited:
FWIW, I never could see the point of a short array of wide-band drivers, e.g. 4 tiny Jordans, Bandors or whatever. The question is, what special advantages are you hoping to gain from taking that approach, that couldn't be equally well handled (or more effectively) with one larger, if still modestly sized, unit? There aren't any arguments I've ever found that seem convincing enough to make them worth the extra effort & expense. Full length nearfield & focused arrays, sure, we can make a good case for those, but little ones? I wouldn't bother.

One point that does come to mind, and to throw an alternative into the mix -you might want to look at a single Alpair 12. Depends how big a box you can handle, but the Pencil 12 cabinet isn't expecially big, and reaction has been extremely positive, inc. from a former concert pianist who's got a pair in solid walnut on the end of about £7,000 worth of electronics.

Last edited:
Halo,

Has anyone actually built or heard the two way system base on JXR6 and Jordan's JX125 or JX150. How does it sound in general?

I had a JX125 and JX53 system, crossed at 500Hz, 1st order. It sounded very nice but I sold it to keep the JX92 48" MLTL system, which I felt imaged better. When I delivered the 125/53 system, I heard it on the buyer's more powerful amplifier and it completely came alive, sounding far better than it had ever done on my Naim Nait. (Much rueful muttering followed.)

If I had the time (and money) I'd be tempted to try again, using the JXR6 but with an active crossover like the Hypex panels, to give flexibility about crossover placement.

The very first Jordan system I heard used earlier J51 and J125 units and also gave that holographic imaging the JX92 managed. I never found out where the crossover was placed but I think Jordans used 150Hz 2nd order at the time.

btw, I've tried 2 x JXR6s per side and it does fill out the sound, similar to placing them back against a wall. They still need a sub or bass unit per side though.

FWIW, I never could see the point of a short array of wide-band drivers, e.g. 4 tiny Jordans, Bandors or whatever. The question is, what special advantages are you hoping to gain from taking that approach, that couldn't be equally well handled (or more effectively) with one larger, if still modestly sized, unit?

I guess the smaller units have a treble performance advantage and adding an array is for power handling- but there are disadvantages as well

2-driver isn't really an array. The second unit adds power handling and a bit of body to the sound.

The 4-unit array acts like a tall, thin driver. Good at image placement as you move left and right (images stay steady). You lose treble as you stand above the line of drivers, if too close. And again, more power handling and you can run them without a crossover without damage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.