Jordan JxR6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok- I like the idea of the 2x JXR6 with a sub and it seems just about possible to have them accoustically roll off at 80hz with the right cab (which is the point needed to avoid one sub direcrional issues). I only want to use 2 of these small units per side and to help protect them I thought to add a circuit to cut out low frequencies below the accoustic XO point- whats the best way to go?

I wish Jordan did a 65-75mm driver! ie no break up below 20 khz, goes down flat below 80hz and can be easily used without XO

What are the 60 mm metal cone Mark Audios like? Do they handle power?

Last edited:
What Colin said. Apart from run sans XO without fear of damage. Believe me, I can damage them. ;) There's just no real point to them.

Well, yes, but I never realised you were a rocker! btw, the array does work, I've heard it and thought it sounded good. I guess what you're getting with the array is the cone area of a 4" but the smaller size/higher breakup/better HF of a smaller unit. Using them with a proper crossover and preferably active is probably the way to go.

Anyway, I forgot to post this link

Jordan JX125 and JX150

at the foot of the page there are a couple of MLTL designs by GM for the JX150 and 125 (original designs). When I asked permission to put them on the Jordan website, GM said he was surprised no one had made use of the drivers in this way and thought they'd sound good. I've not heard of anyone building them and not sure if the spec would hold for the newer drive units.

Who said I was a rocker...? ;) (actually I am, but only when the mood takes me). I'm still the master of killing little drivers though. And some big ones, come to think of it.

Yep, so have I. They're OK; I wasn't overly impressed, but I've heard a lot worse, that's for sure. Yes, I think that's the idea, but the tradeoffs do start to kick in, esp. as there are now some 4in units that equal their HF extension. Agreed re the XO, if it's XO low down, I'd look at at least a 2nd order, active being the best option. GM's right (he usually is); I'm sure they would sound good. Don't know about their replacements offhand, I work more with the Mark Audio range of drivers, so I'd need to check. Speaking of which, re the previous question, the Alpair 7 (a frighteningly capable driver) would likely suit the requirements v. nicely. Although adding another sub at some point is always worth doing.

Edit -one wild card: the Fostex FF85K of all things. I've got a pair in Dave's uFonkens. Whatever the theory says they should & shouldn't do, the fact is that in practice, in this load at any rate, they go startlingly loud in my modest room, and unless you're coming it the cave-man, the cones simply refuse to budge.

Last edited:
Who said I was a rocker...? ;) (actually I am, but only when the mood takes me). I'm still the master of killing little drivers though. And some big ones, come to think of it.

Yep, so have I. They're OK; I wasn't overly impressed, but I've heard a lot worse, that's for sure. Yes, I think that's the idea, but the tradeoffs do start to kick in, esp. as there are now some 4in units that equal their HF extension. Agreed re the XO, if it's XO low down, I'd look at at least a 2nd order, active being the best option. GM's right (he usually is); I'm sure they would sound good. Don't know about their replacements offhand, I work more with the Mark Audio range of drivers, so I'd need to check. Speaking of which, re the previous question, the Alpair 7 (a frighteningly capable driver) would likely suit the requirements v. nicely. Although adding another sub at some point is always worth doing.

amazing how far Mark has progressed isn't it? and that's only so far

Edit -one wild card: the Fostex FF85K of all things. I've got a pair in Dave's uFonkens. Whatever the theory says they should & shouldn't do, the fact is that in practice, in this load at any rate, they go startlingly loud in my modest room, and unless you're coming it the cave-man, the cones simply refuse to budge.
quite an amazing little driver indeed - from a "simple little computer monitor" (uFonken) to an actively XO'd OB (per the MJK project) or floorstanding FAST system ( Tysen), these never cease to startle and amaze folks - let's just hope it doesn't suffer the fate of the FExx7 series, otherwise we'd need to look to for an alternative ;)

OTOH, neither of the other 2 drivers I've heard from the FF series (i.e 125K & 165K) have quite the excitement

Yeah, the 125 in particular is just odd. I quite like the 165 and 225 if treated gently, but the 85 is the stand out in that range. Along with the FE208ESigma and T900a supertweeter, it's my favourite Fostex driver.

and costs less than the sales tax on the T900a :eek:

BTW, could you answer a question regarding minimum listening position for any of the dual mouth designs? i.e. is there a fixed distance, or a formula based on height, etc.?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

We did do a proto uFonken^2 with 2 front facing drivers -- primarily to test the idea of multiple front facing units -- there is little if any degradation at the listening distances we tested at (3-4m), so i would say from that that 2 of the smaller Jordans should have no issues at all.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(the drivers were borrowed from other projects for the test, hence the different colours)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What are the 60 mm metal cone Mark Audios like? Do they handle power?

I'm listening to a set right now (Alpair 6 in mMar-Ken6 with a push-push ApexJr Super 8 sub). My favorite of the untreated 1st generation. It will be very interesting comparing it to the A7 (boxes real soon now). I never pay any attention to power handling so can't comment on that (no standards so spec is meaningless)

mMar-Ken6-wWoof.jpg

dave

We did do a proto uFonken^2 with 2 front facing drivers -- primarily to test the idea of multiple front facing units -- there is little if any degradation at the listening distances we tested at (3-4m), so i would say from that that 2 of the smaller Jordans should have no issues at all.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(the drivers were borrowed from other projects for the test, hence the different colours)

dave

thanks for no close ups of the box paint job - took more time in the end than veneering would have.

Agreed (within limits -you need to watch the doppler). The original Alpair 6 is a lovely little unit. The newer A7 pretty much matches it though, despite being larger; that new multiform cone & Matsubara-san suspension coming into play I suspect. But I still rate the A6 as a really nice driver; the midband is very clean indeed, providing you don't push them too hard.

Last edited:
The JXR6 isn't really intended to be used especially low.

unless using multiple units to get the power-handling / dynamic headroom up & keep excursion & therefore doppler etc. down. Like all 2in - 3in 'FR' drivers, the JXR6 is best considered as a large, wide BW tweeter.

I was told that even in pairs the JxR6 should be used above 100Hz/12db, preferably 150Hz.

That's a point. Some berk has effectively banned the stuff. :(

Why? Is it carcenoginic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.