Frugal-Horns Sachiko 8" horn speaker - Nasty dips in frequency response

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK,
I am still convinced that if I am going to take the time to build these darn things (the Hiro or Sachico) that I might as well build the larger one which appears to have well documented results (as opposed to the Hiro). They are basically exactly the same amount of work.

I'll have to admit I was impulsive when I bought the 167E drivers. I just couldn't pass up a brand new pair for less than half the price of new.

So, now what should I build with the 167E's? Any recommendations for a good enclosure/design.

I am in the process of sourcing parts for a DHT 2A3 amp that will have about 3-4 watts output. I want something that will work well with this amp.

The Metronomes look like they work well but to be honest I think they are as ugly as anything I have seen. The wife will not approve (not sure how's shes gonna feel about a pair of 6' speakers either, but we're not there yet)

I may start another thread elsewhere for this question but I'll see what I can find here too.

Thanks,
Jeff

I know this design works very well, certainly has synergy with my Bottlehead 2A3 (~3W) or custom Vaughn Audio DRD EL34SET (5W), and passes my own WAF test. Depending on treatment of base/plinth, these net out around 1 meter high. Grilles by buried magnets

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I know this design works very well, certainly has synergy with my Bottlehead 2A3 (~3W) or custom Vaughn Audio DRD EL34SET (5W), and passes my own WAF test. Depending on treatment of base/plinth, these net out around 1 meter high. Grilles by buried magnets

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

THose are VERY VERY NICE! 6" or 5"

THose are VERY VERY NICE! 6" or 5"

Thanks, Jason - this was in response to Jeff Miller's inquiry re alternative designs for FE167E that might be a bit more domestically acceptable than 6ft tall double mouth "BVR" . This particular tuning protocol has proven to be tunable to a range of driver parameters, so it could quite possibly work for other 6-8" units. For example, with appropriate modifications to volume & or port dimensions, the original "prime" design works very well with Fostex F120A and CSS EL70 (by Mark Audio) paper cones.

Are plans available for those yet? Forget WAF, they are super high on the HAF too!

Contact mr D at commercial site listed below. There were some minor dimension adjustments for options of separate lower woofer enclosure (for those who want more bass than that which the FE167E can attain), as well as allowance for clearance of grille frames over the plastic diffraction rings that stand rather proud when the drivers are surface mounted .

OK,
I am still convinced that if I am going to take the time to build these darn things (the Hiro or Sachico) that I might as well build the larger one which appears to have well documented results (as opposed to the Hiro). They are basically exactly the same amount of work.
Jeff
bigger is supposed to be better however i think that's more driver dependent then size between the Hiro and Sachico.
i have a pair of virtually onobtainium FE166ES-R drivers and wouldn't trade them for a standard 8" FE_ _ _ just to do a Sachico because of it's good reviews. the 6.5" driver prob. has some advantages wrt beaming, and speed vs. a 8" FE_ _ _?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
the 6.5" driver prob. has some advantages wrt beaming, and speed vs. a 8" FE_ _ _?

My personal feeling is that 4-5" drivers hit the sweet spot. ie i'd choose Fonken (or the new EL70 prime size Mar-Kel70) over Fonken167 in terms of sheer finese, but F167 will rock better (and even more so if you take advantage of the room left for a woofer)

dave

converting 167 to 166???

I am wondering if anybody has ever tried to convert a 167E to a 166E by removing the bucking magnet for the shielding apperatus. Any thoughts here? I have not yet put my hands on a pair of these but I would imagine the bucking magnet could be somehow removed, just not sure how easy.
Jeff

Jeff, why would you want to do that? The bucking magnet not only protects your CRT, it also gives you one or two dB of SPL - one of the very few occasioins when the laws of physics hand out free gifts.:)

Pit:

As far as the Fostex FE series are concerned, I think you'll find the shielded i.e. XX7 models have smaller effective flux densities at the coil and exhibit lower sensitivity and higher Qts than their xx6 counterparts. The differences in the latter are significant enough that it's rather difficult to get them to both work to their "best" in the same enclosure design; even with the craftiest application of EQ, series R, etc, it's very unlikely they'll have the same dynamic or tonal signatures.

My own experience with this experiment was Scott's cute little "half Chang" size BVR for the FE127E. I tried 3 other drivers in this box, two of them Fostex drivers with the same stamped frame dimensions ( i.e FE126 & FF125K) and the rare Hemp Acoustics FR4.5. After trying a range of series R (from 3-10 ohms IIRC) and notwithstanding their sensitivity advantage, neither of the larger motored Fostex delivered the same overall smooth tonal balance as the FE127E. The Hemps worked well enough, but was perhaps a little on the dark (dare I jest, "smokey"?) side.

Jeff:

The enclosure design in the photo is a version of the Planet10 design (series) found here:

Meet the Fonkens

I think i would like to know when this will be available for the 6" size :) this with my ribbon tweeter's would be perfect for my setup.

Maybe i can help nuge this forward to be tested :)

The FE167E for which these were originally designed is a nominal 6" size, and as Dave mentioned in a prior post, the plans are available now.

I've built a few pairs of several sizes of this this style, and they're a rather fiddly and precise build - not a quickie afternoon session, like a BIB or Metronome or little BR would be.

Whenever possible, before modifying an existing design, you should probably auditioned them before determining if a tweeter is required, and particularly if a specific ribbon would be "perfect" for your application.

You know where we are.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1/ Hemp Acoustics has been out of business for about a year. I have a new pair of FR4.5c in a drawer that i'd be happy to not have in a drawer.

2/ We here in the banana belt are suffering thru unseasonally cold wheather... it is just inching above 0 during the day and expected to hit -5 overnight. The rains are expected by week's end and temp will be back up to the usual 5-10c.

The rest of Canada (the parts that expect snow) have been dumped on... Stu (Nanook in Lethbridge AB) i understand woke up to 60 cm this morning. News just reported -26c in the interior of BC.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.