Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2010, 10:53 PM   #381
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostandconfused View Post
Terrible iPhone pic, and currently only
since this has become a little of a graphic design thread: try photoshop little app for iphone, it will clean app the noise pics and make them look way better. add some glow and you don't even have to tell us how they sound

btw. very nice, i like white with the flavour of cone, think i'll be copying
Old 2nd March 2010, 08:08 AM   #382
Makk is offline Makk  Finland
diyAudio Member

My first post.
I used WinISD to calculate box for CSS EL-70. Do you see there is some major problem with my design (see pic)? Volume is 17litres and tuning 46-47hz. There would also be little driver brace inside (like in pensil70).
I like this shape of the box (tall and narrow) (now 1235 x 180 x 137).
pic Pensilli.doc

Nice forum!
Old 4th March 2010, 11:07 PM   #383
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default should be listening to the MA/P10 dMar-Kens tonight.

I'll try with a T-amp and a tube amp, and report back as soon as I can.
2 pairs built, no finish on them yet.
Old 5th March 2010, 05:09 AM   #384
germpod is offline germpod  United States
diyAudio Member

Makk, I also like that design quite a bit. Tall and narrow has quite a bit of appeal. I have not checked your specs, but I still plan on building it anyhow. If it sounds lousy I am out fourteen dollars in chip board and a small bit of time :-) If they sound good, then all the better.
Old 5th March 2010, 06:17 AM   #385
tresch is offline tresch  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makk View Post
My first post.
I used WinISD to calculate box for CSS EL-70. Do you see there is some major problem with my design (see pic)? Volume is 17litres and tuning 46-47hz. There would also be little driver brace inside (like in pensil70).
I like this shape of the box (tall and narrow) (now 1235 x 180 x 137).
pic Attachment 160593

Nice forum!
There are others on this board that are much more expert at this type of thing and can maybe fill in the details, but from what I know, as a box become longer and narrower and more "tube" like, it begins to act like a "Transmission Line" and big resonances form up along the length of the tube, so the entire box begins acting like a port. If the length of the box is just right (relative to the cross section area) this effect can be used to great effect to tune the bass response of the speaker. If it's NOT just right it could create some nasty effects, boomyness and the like. I'm not knowledgeable enough to explain exactly what the effects would be, unfortunately.
Old 5th March 2010, 06:38 AM   #386
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresch View Post
from what I know, as a box become longer and narrower and more "tube" like, it begins to act like a "Transmission Line" and big resonances form up along the length of the tube
Yes. One has to move to the MJK software or alignment tables to get things right.

The box envisioned is awefully close to the already sorted microTower (2 drivers) or halfTower (1 driver/13.5 litre tuned to 42 Hz) ML-TLs

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL...aps-150909.pdf

dave
Old 5th March 2010, 06:44 AM   #387
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makk View Post
I used WinISD to calculate box for CSS EL-70. Do you see there is some major problem with my design (see pic)? Volume is 17litres and tuning 46-47hz.
As in above post, your design is an ML-TL and the BR sim won't reflect what is happening.

And even if made a BR, it is not all that pretty. The dip & the bump up should be avoided.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif EL70-17l-46hz.gif (18.0 KB, 1101 views)
Old 5th March 2010, 08:25 AM   #388
Makk is offline Makk  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Yes. One has to move to the MJK software or alignment tables to get things right.

The box envisioned is awefully close to the already sorted microTower (2 drivers) or halfTower (1 driver/13.5 litre tuned to 42 Hz) ML-TLs

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...aps-150909.pdf

dave
hmm. You're right about halfTower. That design is only 35mm wider than what I had in mind (if possible I need more narrow). It's also shorter but can be "lifted" - halfTower is 838mm tall. I need to make it about 1200mm. Does half tower lose it's meaning if vent is done like this:

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii|iiiiiiii |
iiiiback |iiiiiiii | front
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii| ___|
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii|____ <--- square or pipe (tuned to halfTower 42hz)
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii|iiiiiiiii|
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii|iiiiiiiii|
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii|iiiiiiiii| <-- lift to 1200 (stuffed)
______|____|_______ ground

Annoying picture (sorry) hope you get the meaning..
Also it is possible to make it more narrow (more deep).
Old 6th March 2010, 04:14 AM   #389
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default dMar-Kens kick some serious a**

dMar-Ken initial impressions: compared to Morduant-Short Avant 906i floorstanders, these are easily in the same class, or better. Although, perhaps not as much apparent bass, it is more controlled than the MS's, and seem to go at least as low. They punch like a champ. Are these really only 4" drivers (CHR-70eN)? The top end isn't glaring at all, actually very smooth. The soundstage is deep and wide. Based solely on my memory (which isn't as good as it should be), I'd say these better the Fonkens w/o eN (the ones I reviewed for Affordabl$$Audio, a few years ago). Not having a pair of FE127eN Fonkens to compare them to, I can't say which would be the winner. The apparent efficiency is similar to the MS speakers as well. Without any measuring devices a little hard to verify, but the impression is that the CHR-70eNs in a P10 designed Onken style box are capable of satisfying almost all listeners. My wife, the consummate "doubter" that she is stated emphatically: " I could easily live with only these loudspeakers, they sound incredible"

My wife loves music but almost always faults speakers as not being as good as our old Castle Durham 900 speakers. We both love the old Castles. Usually she complains about not enough bass, top end too bright, mid-range too chesty...the missus' final comment:"these speakers make you want to listen to music". Not sure there can be anything more to say regarding the sound.

For context the amp was my old Nakamichi Stasis "SR-2" receiver. Nelson Pass (or more correctly Threshold Corp?) licensed Nakamichi the Stasis technology. All I can say is that the "little" receiver delivered the goods. I know I could easily live with the the SR-2 and these speakers, my old Pioneer Elite cdp, and my Oracle Alex/SME 309/Grado Sig 8 setup without missing the big McCormack DNA-0.5 deLuxe/McCormack Micro Linedrive/PSIII phonostage that I usually run. Obviously the McCormack setup is more versatile, and more powerful, but it is not required with these speakers. Nelson Pass had suggested to me to use a 10 watt, 1Ω resistor per channel to lower the dampening factor. My comments are based on not following this suggestion. As soon as I can scrounge up a couple, I'll definitely be trying it .Until I get the chance to seriously listen to these with a couple of different amplifiers, my comments need to be kept within the context of the SR-2.

I will try a T-amp (Nuforce Icon) and a tube amp (Phillips 6BM8 based), and the big McCormack pair. Oh, how I am looking forward to the next few days....

Last edited by Nanook; 6th March 2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: typos
Old 6th March 2010, 04:36 AM   #390
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I could easily live with only these loudspeakers, they sound incredible

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!