MJK’s Jordan JX92S OB with a Goldwood GW-1858 Woofer in an H Frame

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Martin,

We both have had good luck with the 2 pole filters and not having to
invert the phase of one of the drivers to achieve not only flat response
in the crossover, but the fairly ideal characteristic where the
individual drivers come in around -5 db each where they meet

Do you expect to see that with 4 pole filters, especially with the
high pass and low pass frequencies fixed as equal?

:cool:

Nelson Pass said:
We both have had good luck with the 2 pole filters and not having to
invert the phase of one of the drivers to achieve not only flat response
in the crossover, but the fairly ideal characteristic where the
individual drivers come in around -5 db each where they meet

Do you expect to see that with 4 pole filters, especially with the
high pass and low pass frequencies fixed as equal?

Nelson,

I reran my simulation with 4th order filters for both the high and low pass and iterated the crossover frequency to find something that worked. I found that a common crossover frequency of 100 Hz with the filters both connected in phase produced reasonably flat SPL response. I am sure if you allowed me to split the two crossover frequencies a little the SPL response could be improved, but probably not by much.

Hope that answers your question,

Re: Question for Martin (slightly off topic?)

Aengus said:
Is there any reason why the cross-section of the H-frame has to be square or rectangular? I'm wondering if a section of sonotube might work for this.

No reason other then I used plywood and getting it square was a major accomplishment for my building skill level.

A sonotube would also work well. Area and length are the two important variables, shape is not as important.

Godzilla, I will keep you update with my progress w/ pictures on the lil buddy and goldwood h frame.

ttan98, like you I do not like the selenium at all and been using the b&c de10 on me10 horns on a different set of econowave with altec 414. I love the sound of these mylar diaphrams - very pleasant to my tin ears... thanks for the head up on this

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MJK said:
I reran my simulation with 4th order filters for both the high and low pass and iterated the crossover frequency to find something that worked. I found that a common crossover frequency of 100 Hz with the filters both connected in phase produced reasonably flat SPL response. I am sure if you allowed me to split the two crossover frequencies a little the SPL response could be improved, but probably not by much.

Thanks Martin, I think I'll have to try it. It seems counter-intuitive.
Ordinarily in your regular box-type speaker you have to flip the phase
of one of the drivers to get flat response with 2 pole networks. In the
open baffle, we see examples where you leave them in phase to get
flat response, so its a bit surprising that the 4 pole networks would
work "out of the box".

:cool:

Hi,

First-order filter gave the most natural and seamless integration, at least to my ears it sounded like that. However, the slope is too shallow and there's a lot of out-of-band sounds coming out of the woofer, spoiling the experience. Full-ranger sounds very nice at 1st order hi-pass.

On the other hand, second order filter did a better job on the woofer, but the fullranger does not sound that well. I don't know how to describe this, but somehow some of the full-range magic gets lost and it sounds more like multiway speaker and there is more subjective indication that there's a crosover in the path!

I haven't tried 4th order crossover though.
It's intersting that a 2nd order crossover on the woofer, crossed low at 50-60 Hz, and a fullranger run full range also sounded nice, but was limited to low SPL due to the cone excursion on the fullrange speaker...

Thank you very much for your input regarding Open Baffle speakers. But they still make me feel like Alice in Wonderland...:) :cool:

Godzilla said:
I use this amp i bought from PE and it rocks... when it's working. It's already back for repair.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-812

Godzilla

Godzilla said:
The amp has a switch on the back to run mono or stereo. I set it to stereo. Beware! The volume knob is too sensitive. The amp had to be sent back for a resistor to be added so the volume knob could be turned without the amp putting out full power almost immediately. I hope it helps and will report back once my amp returns.

Godzilla

It looks like you are using this amp in stereo. The specs don't say what the power rating is in stereo with a 8 ohm load just 2 x 75 watts with a 4 ohm load.

Not sure what the measured impedence is for the Alpha's but they look to be closer to 6 to 8 ohms.

Does this amp provide any headroom?

BTW this amp looks to be a clone of the Emotiva BPA-1 which is now discontinued.
http://www.emotiva.com/bpa1.html

Brad

i'd like to mate the H-frame with something larger - maybe an 8- - FWIW- got one H-baffle playing - no xover - no FR/etc. - GW1858 "could" be driven into breakup in the 100-200 region with test tones and some "car bass" but at levels higher than most would want - bass is phat and extended (did not examine for harmonics) and GW1858 a good value -- If one were to use 2-GW1858 per side - what general tradeoffs would there before two stacked H-frames vs two 18 stacked on flat or U baffle? would two vertical stacked 1858 lose a bit of LF extension compard to one H-baffle on the floor?

freddi said:
If one were to use 2-GW1858 per side - what general tradeoffs would there before two stacked H-frames vs two 18 stacked on flat or U baffle? would two vertical stacked 1858 lose a bit of LF extension compard to one H-baffle on the floor?

Yes, that is exactly the trade-off. Two on the floor will have slightly more bass extension then two stacked. I don't think it would be a huge difference but not insignificant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.