Dayton RS100S-8 4" Reference Shielded Full-Range Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well that is an option, or buitl a simple crossoveer around 100 hetz,, i think the infuances on such a low frequency are not that nasty. but thx for the link, i use something like that on the computer to see where i cross drivers before buying al the filter components, using soundcard

PE just had these on sale...I ordered two, and am trying to decide on a box to build. I'm using Ray Alden's great book "Speaker Building 201," and, using his EBP calculation (Fas/Qes) it appears a ported box is best. Again using his calcs, the Vb = 39L, and the tuning frequency 40.5Hz with an f3 of 27Hz. A 1-1/2" port a little more than 2" long appears to accomplish this.
I tried to do his calcs for a sealed box, and the F3 wound up at 175Hz, which seems crazy....so I'm starting to build the vented boxes this weekend.
I'm just a beginner at this.....does this sound reasonable?
I'll post results.

Rs-100 bib ?

I was reading about the RS-100's in BIB's and people were worried about the short BIB not coupling to the ceiling properly. IF a BIB is short enough, wouldn't it be better to UNfold it? This would put the terminus much closeer to the ceiling for good coupling. Could it get too close? How close is too close?

I was reading about the RS-100's in BIB's and people were worried about the short BIB not coupling to the ceiling properly. IF a BIB is short enough, wouldn't it be better to UNfold it? This would put the terminus much closeer to the ceiling for good coupling. Could it get too close? How close is too close?

I bought 10 RS-100-4's and built 3 iBIB'snow, they're great. While an unfolded one would be cool, inverting them makes for very nice speakers, and you just load the floor instead of the ceiling... I like the look of iBIB's more, too.

>>> IF a BIB is short enough, wouldn't it be better to UNfold it?

Yes, someone has done it and it looked great. I will have to look for the pics.

Zilla

red pair, built it with W3-871. Good extended bass.

7-14-2007202-11-0420PM.jpg

The Pioneer A11 will go louder and take more power. I believe they go down a few more hz. too.
The RS100 is clearer and has more bass down to maybe 70-80hz.but not nearly as much volume. The RS100 will bottom out quite easy. The A11 never has, yet. I'll have to pour the coal to the A11 just to see how far it will go.:devilr:

Maybe the RS100 would take more power if it were in the correct BIB instead of mine that are for the A11. That would be a question for Mr.Scottmoose

I am listening to Pioneer A11 in Suzy Chang cabinet and like the sound very much. I see the RS100 is going for $22/each. I have a D-amp (Hifimediy T1 ALPS sta510A 2*100W@8ohm amplifier | |Hifimediy) with good output.

I know this is older thread, anyone know what is the good cabinet for this driver (so far disappointed on Open Baffle designs)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.