Goldwood OB speakers cheap...nice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2008, 11:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Goldwood OB speakers cheap...nice

After playing around with a pair of Fostex fe126e speakers in OB matted to a 15" bass helper I decided to try an inexpensive 8" full range driver that is better suited to OB than the Fostex.With the Fostex I had them HP at 150hz and the 15" subs LP at 160hz...things sounded pretty good indeed...highs where good and low bass was good...what was lacking was mid-bass punch.I decided to go for some Goldwood 8" full rangers whizzers and all because they have a QTS of 1.07 which should do the trick for the midbass I was lacking with the low QTS Fostex.The Goldwood 8 inchers have great bass in OB compared to the Fostex and really don't need thaaattt much bass augmentation.I ran the 8" full range and LP the 15" Goldwood subs in at 60hz...mmmmm nice deep bass,nice midbass punch and smooth highs...this speaker has a nice vintage tone that is definately on the warm side of things...just how I like it.The highs are not as pronounced as with the Fostex fe126e,but i enjoy the speaker much more overall with the el'cheapo Goldwood 8" full range drivers.It is so fun and easy to play with OB...not to mention inexpensive![IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 10th April 2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Very nice. Bang for the buck.

By the way, did you use active crossovers/biamping? what crossover slope did you use?
Or, is there only an inductor for the bass?

Can you pst a pic of the speaker backside (no matter even if it is not as nice as front ) I just want to see how you mounted the support for the baffles....

Regards,

Vix
Old 10th April 2008, 01:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Aw man...

Hey, I was looking at that combo.

Sounds like they doing good for you. Good tunes on the cheap is way too cool.

Keep it up.
Old 10th April 2008, 07:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vix
Very nice. Bang for the buck.

By the way, did you use active crossovers/biamping? what crossover slope did you use?
Or, is there only an inductor for the bass?

Can you pst a pic of the speaker backside (no matter even if it is not as nice as front ) I just want to see how you mounted the support for the baffles....

Regards,

Vix
Thank's they are actively crossed over/ biamped via plate amps.The woofers are low passed at 60hz at a slope of 12db per octave.The 8" full range unit is ran full range without any filtering.As far as suports go I used the largest heavy duty L-braces available from HomeDepot.There is a .25" thick,3/4" wide foam strip sandwiched between the width of the baffle and the base.The foam strip decouples the baffle from the bass and really cleans up the bass.Please note in the pictures of the backs,the wire to 8" full ranger is not hooked up.I also have installed binding posts and a barrier strip just incase I want to neatly add more drivers and wires.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 10th April 2008, 08:50 PM   #5
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

*36 - Loved the way you used the L-brackets!! The foam strip is a good thing as well! I'm drawing some things out that are similar but I'm gonna mount the 15 inch on it's own brace and strap it up so it just meets the back of the baffle with little or no coupling and using some of that foam stripping to seal things up.
Old 10th April 2008, 09:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

See, sometimes a more expensive driver is not the better driver. Maybe these Goldwoods on open baffle are a great way to do OB on the cheap but with great sound. Do you think they may sound even better with a cheap piezo on top? How are the highs?
Old 10th April 2008, 10:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi audiophile36,

Can you show a closeup of the feet.

Cheers
Old 10th April 2008, 11:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla
See, sometimes a more expensive driver is not the better driver. Maybe these Goldwoods on open baffle are a great way to do OB on the cheap but with great sound. Do you think they may sound even better with a cheap piezo on top? How are the highs?
For a person used to "conventional" speakers a piezo might be
wanted...for me they are fine.You simply need to try these in OB...they spec perfectly for OB.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by c2cthomas
*36 - Loved the way you used the L-brackets!! The foam strip is a good thing as well! I'm drawing some things out that are similar but I'm gonna mount the 15 inch on it's own brace and strap it up so it just meets the back of the baffle with little or no coupling and using some of that foam stripping to seal things up.
Thanks and please post pics!!!
Old 11th April 2008, 12:55 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gmilitano
Hi audiophile36,

Can you show a closeup of the feet.

Cheers
Here is the best I can do with the feet photo...they where sold at partsexpress,but are now discontinued.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Hide this!Advertise here!