Goldwood OB speakers cheap...nice

Bluto said:
Audio 36 -

I came back to add a post of my own and forgot to do so.

My wife and I have been discussing this a good part of the day. I'm so impressed with what these cheap Oaktons are giving me for sound that after reading your luck with this GW I'm actually going to forego my Hawthorne SI decision until after I've tried these GW's.

I'm out next to nothing if I'm unhappy.

FWIW perhaps some 'tweeking' on them should be next on your agenda.

Bluto

The drivers are so cheap you can get two 8" full rangers and two 15" woofers for a tad under 100 bucks.It won't hurt to try and if you don't like them you can always use an extra set of speakers for your work room.I was thinking of adding phase plugs to the 8" full range drivers. No the build quality of the GW's is not up to that of the Fostex,but it's the sound in OB that matters...the GW's perform much better in OB than the Fostex units.Are the GW's cheap speakers...yes...but because of their cheapness they are perfectly suitable for OB.

Audiophile36,

May I suggest you try using 2*15" drivers(*) on each side you should improve the bass response dramatically.

I have tried on my Open Baffle ie TWW configuration., x-over at around 1.7Khz. You would be pleasantly surprised.

* I can't get that type of woofer at such a cheap price here, otherwise I will try them myself.

Godzilla said:
>>> I have tried on my Open Baffle ie TWW configuration., x-over at around 1.7Khz. You would be pleasantly surprised.

Which tweeter? Also, how much more fullness does the second woofer add?

I use compression driver B&C DE250 and RCF horn, H100, I understand you are price conscious(I am too), the combo costs $130. Sound is very open and dynamic and no need to equalize. I am still tweaking it.

The 2 woofers are of the same brand and size, connected in parallel. I use 12" I see no reason why you cannot use 15", my woofers are mounted in a U-frame flat to 40-45HZ. no need for equalization.

My configuration is similar to Emerald Physics, CS2 system, used with DCX2496. It is NOT a clone/copy.

The sound stage is huge it will drown the full range you are building, reason I had compared the 2 systems. The sound is very different from a full range, too many differences to elaborate here. A worthwhile exercise to do, very easy to build and cost effective. I will design and use a passive x-over at a later stage and possibly posted the final design here.

I hope you are getting better.

cheers.

Hi ttan98 -

I always liked the Emerald PhysicsCS2 as well as the Zu Druid and wondered who came 1st. I think it was the Emerald. Jamo 909 falls within that category as well in my mind.

Haven't heard any of them but read nothing but good about all of them.

I've followed some of your threads in the past.

Let me know if I'm doing the math correct.

I'm coming up with about $1000 US for tweets, woofs and xover assuming you used something for woofs of similiar sensitivity as your compression driver?

That's really not that bad , rather inexpensive in fact, when you consider sensitivity of system and fact that it ought to get low enough to handle even HT , is sensitive enough it should run on tube amps if you wanted it to, handles enough power it could run on SS and maintains a relatively small footprint doing so.

Only thing about it that frightens a newbee as myself is the DCX2496. All I've read on it states it's a nightmare to set-up for electronic novices.

Not an inexpensive system but definitely a bargain system considering what it actually compares with.

Thanks for input.

Bluto

Bluto said:

I've got nothing but respect for Zaph. ....

.... Everybody knocks GW simply because it's low priced .....

What did Zaph test the driver for and under what conditions?

Bluto

http://www.zaphaudio.com/blog.html see GW tweeters.

The bottom line: these tweeters are very poor performers and are not even worth the $10 ea paid for them. One pair each, $40 total, cue the sound of a toilet flushing. I tossed them in the garbage since I can no longer return them and I could never sell something like this. It's not just the performance that's bad, but the build quality is horrible also. Rough plastic molding methods can be seen, the domes are full of cardboard dust, voice coil adhesive has gushed all over the surround internally, and the shipping boxes are so thin that they fall apart when you touch them. There are better tweeters in the $10 range,

:)/sreten.

Bluto said:
Hi ttan98 -

Only thing about it that frightens a newbee as myself is the DCX2496. All I've read on it states it's a nightmare to set-up for electronic novices.

Bluto

This was my initial thoughts however after I spent some time(a few hours) with it I found it easy(*) to use. It is quite user friendly, and very inituitive. It costs about $250 from Ebay. I bought one. It is very flexible and has lots of features, I use for speakers development(not commercial) rather than wasting lots of money and time developing passive x-over.

* if one of your friends know how to use it, you will in no time pick up all there is know about the unit and how to operate it.

ttan 98 -

Another good point regards the DCX.

That's how I'd initially heard of it. A friend knew of my XO ignorance and suggested it to use as such as well as a teaching tool.

If you consider that you were to even be going IB for Subs and that EQ's run about $125 and the DCX has multiple inputs it's likely the wiser choice.

Wanna stop over?

Bluto

Good to finally see some folks just going for it with the GW drivers. Been looking at the 8" fullranger for like 4 years but then got sidetracked from it by a pair of B20s gotten as christmas gifts (which, incidentally have gotten the full treatment al la P10). Still interested in them as they always speced well for OB, but would be hard pressed to believe they would sound close to my B20s in absolute SQ or that they might provide better bottom end performance, or at least enough to make them attractive over their $5/per more expensive competition. Still, the fact that I could actually make drop in comparisons and that since we have confirmation now that they are at least usable drivers and could be used in other projects about the house, my interest is piqued again. Of course, I've been looking for large OB bass drivers lately, too (even with good EQ and P10's inestimable treatments, the B20s really should never be used below 50Hz on the small OBs I'm using), and the GW 15"ers all look like good bang for buck options, so its good to hear they're serviceable as well.

Keep it coming.

Kensai

Just a caution about inexpensive woofers... I have a pair of Goldwood GW-215/8s that I've used with a HiVi B3N fullrangers for a cheap OB. I like the sound very much but the GW-215s run out of steam at high volume levels. I experimented with two woofers in the same baffle and still experienced power handling problems.

I tried out Eminence Alpha 15s as an alternative. Compared to two GW-215s, one Alpha is roughly the same price but is much more sensitive, has higher power handling, and simply sounds better. The one area the GW-215 has the Alpha beat is in bass extension; no surprise here - the GW-215 has an Fs of 29 Hz, and the Alpha's is 41 Hz.

I'm not selling my Goldwoods though. I have too much fun showing off what $40 worth of drivers plus a simple crossover and a couple of boards can sound like to the "unbelievers"!

Yeah I bet the Alphas do sound better in other areas,but for pure bass extension in OB the GW are kings.The Alphas wouldn't work for me because they don't reach down far enough...I have my GW's playing only 60hz and lower so I don't think the Alphas could do that region of bass better than the GW's.I am not surprised about the power handling of the Eminence being greater because they are Pro/PA drivers and the GW are home stereo drivers.

ttan98 -

This has got me wondering how 2 of these GW 15" woofs run as a ripole Sub with the 8" GW OB on top would sound. Likely too much QTS. 2 of the 10" ? Low buck.

Kind of interesting to see how many others have used GW but not mentioned such until now.

Bluto